Best budget sockets?

Check for clearances. Awhile back HD was clearing out the whole Husky socket set with ratchet for $10. 1/4 or 3/8. Nice ratchet too. I bought some sets. You said you already have el cheapo though. Maybe go up a grade. Capri tools has a set for $50 regular price. The 3/8 is $70 and has extension bars and t handle adapter, deep sockets, swivel. I think they are pretty good. Lowe’s may have something too.

Last edited:
I've got Craftsman, Stanley and a set from either Home Depot or Lowes I don't remember the brand. I've never had a problem with any of them except rust of the Stanley. I also wouldn't have anything against a Pittsburg set from Harbor Freight. Unless you buy one of those 40 piece socket sets for $5. some places sell they'll probably be OK. The set I bought at Home Depot or Lowes I guess is about a 20-22 piece set. It has both standard/metric sockets up to 1/2" and 13mm, 1 extension, and a 1/4" ratchet. When I bought it several years ago I'm pretty sure it was under $15. Most things I use 1/4" for are not torqued down extremely tight but I've had a couple times when work space was an issue that I've loosened some pretty tight bolts/nuts with them and didn't strip the ratchet or break the socket.

Those are expensive.
If so, then I'd go with Tekton or Capri as @Trav, and a few others stated. I have the Williams sockets Trav mentioned and they're top of the line, having said that I have Tekton sockets too, and they're OK. You could also check out Harbor Freight if you have one near you, then if you have a problem you can simply walk in for warranty service and get it done on the spot.

Those are expensive.
Those are dirt cheap for quality tools. Price Snap on, Hazet, Stahlwille, Nepros, etc. The comment about 1/4" not being under stress is 100% wrong, sometimes manufacturers use larger fasteners with reduced diameter heads in tight places making 1/4 drive a must to gain access, after years of being in they can be a tight bugger to get out. A high quality tool is a must.

Their Taiwan stuff is quite good, I just bought some of their locking extensions which are much nicer than the ones from Crapsman or Gearwrench.
Unfortunately no sets that I can see just individual but that is not a deal breaker for me, they are available in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive and are a life saver when used with magnetic sockets (I made some for under .50c ea and will post about that separately).

Dirt cheap for USA made Williams, The Snap-on 110TMY set is expensive at $150 & doesn't include a 5/32" socket
Man, I'm glad Im not starting out today. I bought that set on a deal years ago to replace a craftsman set, was on a deal at the time for 99 bucks and came with a ratchet, 6 inch extension and universal. Bought it because I wanted the ratchet and the ratchet was just shy of that. I look at how much more expensive tools have gotten in my career and wonder how someone starting today can afford to fill a toolbox

Man, I'm glad Im not starting out today. I bought that set on a deal years ago to replace a craftsman set, was on a deal at the time for 99 bucks and came with a ratchet, 6 inch extension and universal. Bought it because I wanted the ratchet and the ratchet was just shy of that. I look at how much more expensive tools have gotten in my career and wonder how someone starting today can afford to fill a toolbox

I hear ya. When I first started we got a small box with some very basic stuff from the school courtesy of Snap on (the promo hook) and I bought a 200 pc set for $199.99 and a top box from Sears, add a few things for cash and I was good without going into debt.
That Craftsman stuff stood the test of time they were good tools, may be not have been the best finished or most ergonomic but good nonetheless.

I checked it out a couple of years ago that $200 set back then is $972.42 today, not especially cheap tools considering they still sell a 200 piece set for the same price, something had to give to maintain that price and that was the tool quality.

The HF color coded sockets have been good to me and my diy needs. Have another set of chrome sockets but it's very difficult to read the sizes on them. Easy to read the HF sockets.

Ive had good luck with Tekton here recently, seem to be a good value. As far as the comment on pawn shops....I dont know about the rest of you, but every one Ive walked into expects new prices for old beat up stolen tools.

Edited for grammar

They can't afford Snap-on without a mountain of debt that's for sure.

Back