Best budget sockets?

Ive had good luck with Tekton here recently, seem to be a good value. As far as the comment on pawn shops....I dont know about the rest of you, but every one Ive walked into expects new prices for old beat up stolen tools.

Edited for grammar
It's the stolen part that bothers me, I learned long ago to engrave mine with my DL number & itemized Insurance on top of that.

Depends on what's "budget". For US made, SK isn't bad... their consistency on the broaching leaves a little to be desired at times. I warrantied a number of sockets due to off-center broaching and poor finish. They also paint the sockets insides, which seems to bother some.

I really like Koken, Japanese company, their stuff is top-notch and priced well. The sockets have the typical German (Hazet, Stahlwille) matte finish. Also recommend their extensions, which have great/unique knurling and the universals [ball/socket] are the best I've used (very smooth, only lack a little range).

I recognize that this is an older thread, but I came across a post on GJ that is spot-on:

The appropriate torque for a given fastener increases roughly with the square of the fastener's radius. (torque is pretty complicated- this is just super rough).

But as you get to the bigger drives, the stiffness (think moment of inertia) of the drive, the extension, even the sockets themselves, increases by the fourth power of the tool's radius. Perhaps more importantly the geometry inside the socket becomes more favorable.

Consequently, we can see analytically what most of us have known all our lives - bigger fasteners are easier to remove without rounding their heads, provided you have a ratchet handle long enough.

My advice is to spend money on high quality smaller drive tools where you will reap greater performance advantages. When you get to 1/2" drive, the alloys matter less, the heat treat and even geometries matter less so the performance difference between brands may be lessened.

Just to repeat myself - from an engineering standpoint, it makes sense to spend for truck tools on the smaller drive tools because they are under greater stress, long extensions and ratchets and save money on the larger sockets, and shorter ratchets, and extensions.

Ditto for allen and torx bit sockets. Their small features see pretty high stresses so it makes sense to buy quality bit sockets. As they get larger, it matters less to have the truck brands.

We often take an all or nothing approach to brand selection. Hopefully this gives guys who have a restricted budget (don't we all) some guidance on how to get the most bang for their buck.

Source: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/snap-on-vs-gearwrench-1-2-sockets.172803/post-5801926

Basically, spend the money on quality items for 1/4" and 3/8" dr chrome sockets. Maybe even 3/8" dr impact sockets. But once you get to the larger drive sizes, it matters a lot less.

Tekton, Capri are decent in this price class but Williams offers USA made high quality for short money, this is the one I would recommend.

Trav's word on this site is golden, I would meekly add that Williams is generic Snap-on, and I have some Craftsman tools that are old enough to be stamped "made in USA." These have served me well for 30+ years, together with S-K. I have a few Tekton tools I've purchased at yard sales. The ONLY HF tool I own is a flashlight and I didn't buy that, a buddy gave it to me, it's magnetic with a rechargeable battery. HF and cheap Chinese junk has devastated US tool making. For probably 100+ years, industry standard for machinist tools were LS Starrett and Brown & Sharp. Starrett is now made in China and I don't know what has happened to Brown & Sharp.

if you live near a menards store i found master force stuff to decent at a fair price,sometimes goes on sale,if not craftsman is a good choice

I think just about every brand has been mentioned here. Correct me, but I believe the U.S. Craftsman plant in no longer happening. SK has been tenuous for at least 10 years. What interests me is Tekton. This company used to be MIT, Michigan Industrial Tools (China/India junk), and now they have a somewhat noticeable following on forums with "people in the know" (not so much the general public).

I recently purchased a full set of Metric 1/4 and 3/8 Tekton sockets in standard and deep to fill out the hand tool drawer in my first "big boy" tool box. Fit and finish and nice and they function well, and for my hobbyist needs should be fine. Most of my other tools are scattered in various "kits," but are comprised mostly of USA made craftsman, GearWrench, and SK tools. The Tekton feels and looks good, and the warranty is top notch from what I hear; well worth the money.

I recently purchased a full set of Metric 1/4 and 3/8 Tekton sockets in standard and deep to fill out the hand tool drawer in my first "big boy" tool box. Fit and finish and nice and they function well, and for my hobbyist needs should be fine. Most of my other tools are scattered in various "kits," but are comprised mostly of USA made craftsman, GearWrench, and SK tools. The Tekton feels and looks good, and the warranty is top notch from what I hear; well worth the money.
Regarding their warranty, I had loaned out my set and the guy managed to break the ratchet mechanism. Tekton had a replacement build kit in the mail the same day I contacted them.

I have a set of their 1/4" chrome sockets - they have been decent. Honestly, the Asian import brands are pretty good these days for sockets; their value is hard to beat.

If you’re just a diyer, harbor freight is good.

Using tools for a living is different
I do not agree with either statement. HF isn't always the best value anymore, heck, not even the cheapest place sometimes.

Sometimes, there is an insignificant difference in quality between the "pro" grade items and "consumer" grade items. This is why it is important to do your homework on the item you are buying.

I have a set of their 1/4" chrome sockets - they have been decent. Honestly, the Asian import brands are pretty good these days for sockets; their value is hard to beat.

Agreed on the Tekton.
I bought a set of 1/4" deep sockets for literal pocket coin when Meijer was blowing them out on clearance.
They are finished well, look good, and work well.
They are as good as one can find at a lower price point.

Look used and Williams.

Good deals out there if you look, and if not that, at least make sure your money is not going to the Chinese industrial complex military buildup.

I agree Tekton or Capri or even Williams if you are looking for USA. I don’t think Harbor Freight has any 1/4 impact sockets but I could be wrong. Personally I’ve never even used a 1/4 impact so I feel chrome sockets would be ok. I do know that Kobalt makes some nice sockets they are Taiwan made really hold up nicely for what they are. Also Sunex too. And the new Craftsman sockets they sent me for warranty aren’t too bad honestly they are Taiwan made. I’d stay away from new Husky though I’ve broken a few of those and my Home Depot won’t do anything for warranty and tell you to call the customer service number and they are Chinese made by Apex same people who now make Gearwrench in China too I had one of those sockets and I didn’t like it it doesn’t feel the same quality as the Taiwan stuff. Hazet from what I hear is nice too but may not be readily available.
OH, l didn't know that. are the Kobalt's still all Taiwan made?
Sucks GW went to China!

Back