CrMo vs CrV impact sockets

My son is wanting to build his tool collection, and I wanted to get him a decent assortment of impact sockets. Some of the kits he showed me are Chrome Vanadium. I've never owned any, but the ones at HF seem to have really thin walls and just look like painted standard sockets. Should I just stick with all CrMo?

I would shy away from Harbor Freight. Get good ones.

I have some sets of Williams impacts. Excellent quality. They no longer sell direct, but the prices are OK on Amazon.

If you‘re on a tight budget, Sunex are made in Taiwan and have served me well. Available on Amazon.

CrMo are generally considered better stronger, tougher, but not harder.
Not all is created equal its about brand too.
An offbrand CrMo from india could be way worse than a good brand name socket in Cr V.

Last edited:
Tools for home of work? I have hose tools that my dad bought me when I was in eight grade and had a minibike and I have worn out or broken Snap on sockets that I used at work. Fit and finish is very important.

I would shy away from Harbor Freight. Get good ones.

I have some sets of Williams impacts. Excellent quality. They no longer sell direct, but the prices are OK on Amazon.

If you‘re on a tight budget, Sunex are made in Taiwan and have served me well. Available on Amazon.
HF has several supplier's for the same product often. If you can find the made in Taiwan sockets they are good.

Tools for home of work? I have hose tools that my dad bought me when I was in eight grade and had a minibike and I have worn out or broken Snap on sockets that I used at work. Fit and finish is very important.
Not for professional use...these would just be for working on personal vehicles, tractor implements, trailers, ATVs, etc

Some of the best impacts are labeled Cr-V but in reality some companies like Hazet and others use a slightly different alloy than hand sockets, the difference is very small. IMO Williams and Tekton are probably the value. Check out the materials used in the sockets.

tekton alloy.jpg

I have impact sockets from northern tool. Klutch brand, they have been great. I've had mine a few years so I can't tell you about current pricing.
Same here, no problems with the Klutch Cr-Mo though I wish they also had sizes stamped on them instead of only laser etched.

I did get a couple redundant sizes for lug nuts, that were Harbor Freight Cr-V, haven't had any problem using them for that. The black phosphate finish looks really grainy and crude, but that also lets me identify them quick.

My son is wanting to build his tool collection, and I wanted to get him a decent assortment of impact sockets. Some of the kits he showed me are Chrome Vanadium. I've never owned any, but the ones at HF seem to have really thin walls and just look like painted standard sockets. Should I just stick with all CrMo?
The Cr-V sockets I bought from AutoZone (Duralast) are built like a tank. Not only do they regularly put up with the extreme torque my Astro 1894 puts out but they've held up to repeated sledgehammering to get swollen lug nuts unstuck. Hard to beat their lifetime warranty but you'll likely never have to use it (except on the swivel socket, I always manage to break that one). I also have some Lexivon Cr-V impact extensions that have held up very well.

I went with the Capri tools 3/8 SAE and metric. I'm donating him some Northern tool 1/2. The Capri are CrMo and it's nice they don't skip any sizes. Right around $30 per set. There's a bunch of good reviews on Youtube and they have lifetime warranty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220930-114932_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220930-114932_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 25
When I am repairing something and I need a special tool I try Oreilly first since it is closest to me and if they don't have it I go to the local HF. Most of them work for the job that I have.

You won’t be disappointed with those Capri. I love my Capri impact sockets. Very nice and well built for the money. A tip for the future is if you buy them directly from Capri you will get rewards points towards other purchases. Same with Tekton.

I went with the Capri tools 3/8 SAE and metric. I'm donating him some Northern tool 1/2. The Capri are CrMo and it's nice they don't skip any sizes. Right around $30 per set. There's a bunch of good reviews on Youtube and they have lifetime warranty.
I went with a similar 1/2" drive crmo socket set with a life time warranty from canadian tire. I will never wear them out, and hammer or grind them for whatever job I need them for. I put flats on a deep one to tighten the strut top nut while putting a 3/8 extension with a socket on it, to hold the strut shaft from rotating... There is still so much meat on the ground socket that my impacts will never split it... Maybe a 800ftlb+ one would but I don't have one that strong.

Last edited:
Wow. That was fast. I ordered them last night and they just arrived. For the most part, they are what I expected. The fit and finish is good and I like that the sizes are etched and stamped. They seem to be on the shallow side of shallow, which is good. Even with a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer, they are still approx 1" shorter than a deep socket. The walls are a little thinner than I hoped, but I'm sure they will be fine. I didn't even pay attention to them not coming with a blow molded case, but no biggie.

Some of the best impacts are labeled Cr-V but in reality some companies like Hazet and others use a slightly different alloy than hand sockets, the difference is very small. IMO Williams and Tekton are probably the value. Check out the materials used in the sockets.

View attachment 118976

Thanks Trav for the useful info. I read this explanation from Capri Tools that appears to differ from what Tekton says about steels for impact tools.

Back