Best budget sockets?

Well, I haven’t bought any new sockets in a long time. Actually that’s not true... but I haven’t really looked at the options in a long time. Most of my sockets are either old, made in USA craftsman sockets or else harborfreight impact sockets that have actually been pretty reliable for me.

Anyways, I’m looking for a basic 1/4” sae short socket set. The ones I have are just some store junk but they’ve been used so infrequently I hasn’t mattered.

based on my experience with the HF Pittsburg impact sockets I’m really thinking about just going this route until they fail on me. Alternatively, Tekton seems to have pretty good quality for the price point. These have to be 6 point but am I missing any better “budget” options?

I agree Tekton or Capri or even Williams if you are looking for USA. I don’t think Harbor Freight has any 1/4 impact sockets but I could be wrong. Personally I’ve never even used a 1/4 impact so I feel chrome sockets would be ok. I do know that Kobalt makes some nice sockets they are Taiwan made really hold up nicely for what they are. Also Sunex too. And the new Craftsman sockets they sent me for warranty aren’t too bad honestly they are Taiwan made. I’d stay away from new Husky though I’ve broken a few of those and my Home Depot won’t do anything for warranty and tell you to call the customer service number and they are Chinese made by Apex same people who now make Gearwrench in China too I had one of those sockets and I didn’t like it it doesn’t feel the same quality as the Taiwan stuff. Hazet from what I hear is nice too but may not be readily available.

Oh yeah if you have a Rural King go check out there they are closing out their Dewalt hand tools and mine had a lot of impact sockets and impact socket sets left if you don’t mind having Dewalt as a brand. And chrome too of course.
481D607F-4030-44C1-97F7-A144BF958F68.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh yeah and Duralast has some really nice sockets too I have some and was just at Auto Zone tonight and they are still nice quality Taiwan made tools definitely high quality for a parts store same with Napa Carlyle brand too. So I’d check those out too just to explore your options.

I have been using Stanley ones that came with WM tool chest kit. I didn't think would need 1/4", but for tight places, they come in handy. So far after 5-6 years, no quality issues to report.

Not here. They want full price for used tools
The HF Icon or Pro sockets are good.so is Husky from HD and Kobalt from lowes.

Also check yard sales.
That really sucks. Mine lets me fill up a box for $20. Unless it’s something that has a price already marked on it. I got a really nice Icon ratchet for an extremely low price almost new. It goes for $62 new I didn’t pay even a quarter of that.

That really sucks. Mine lets me fill up a box for $20. Unless it’s something that has a price already marked on it. I got a really nice Icon ratchet for an extremely low price almost new. It goes for $62 new I didn’t pay even a quarter of that.
Last time I was in a pawn shop they had a 900 w HF 2 stroke generator on the floor. Beat up,rope hanging out 6 inches and a $249 price tag with 'Firm' written on it. They are $129 or so new now and on sale for about $90

Last time I was in a pawn shop they had a 900 w HF 2 stroke generator on the floor. Beat up,rope hanging out 6 inches and a $249 price tag with 'Firm' written on it. They are $129 or so new now and on sale for about $90
Jeez what a ripoff. Just trying to get the most unsuspecting customer.

Back