Best 5w30 Synthetics From Walmart

5W a mistake. You do NOT want a high load of VM (viscosty index improvers)- they are nasty

#1 10W30 QS FS - not PP!
#2 Valvoline Advanced
-
-
#5 Castrol Magnatec - NEVER Edge Black Bottle!

Been all over these oils the past few years. - Ken
Why “NEVER Edge Black Bottle!” ? I always thought that Castrol Euro spec was good stuff! Please share your experience.

Last edited:
For 5,000 miles most any certified synthetic should work, right? So pick the one with the best price. I usually adhere to that philosophy, but occasionally try something “better”...pay a little more...extend the oil change out a bit.

Amazon is another place to match Walmart type pricing, I’ve had some luck there, especially with Walmart being hit or miss lately.

Looking for the most protection/durability possible for the rarely driven hot rods.
Mobil themselves recommend Mobil 1 0W40 FS or Mobil 1 HM 10W40 for older classics.
I see no reason for the similarly priced, but much less capable 5W30 to be used. In my opinion - best option (for any liquid-cooled gasoline engine really) is a Porsche A40/MB229.5 rated oils. Which is why I use it in every engine I own, and all engines I maintain for family.
Below are the testing procedures for Porsche A40 rated oils.
MB229.5 rating is even more stringent. I can confidently say that no 5W30 (including those "extended" or "advanced" ones) from Wal-Mart will pass all of this testing, unless it is A3/B4 and is on official MB229.5 approved list.

Last edited:
The VCM of the 2.4 L in my 2016 Honda CR-V is one of the main reasons I use PUP (though in 0W-20), not 5W-30 but PUP of any viscosity is an oil that has very high cleaning, very good lubricating at all the temperatures it sees, and one of the lowest NOAC numbers. If you order 2 or more of the 5 liter jugs Walmart will send them to you for free, and usually PUP is the same price or only a dollar more then PP. Walmart seldom sells PUP in stores around here and when the do the shelf for the 5 Liter is empty and the 1 quart is way over priced. But by mail order the 5 Liter jugs is is a good deal.
What is in PP that makes it clean?

Why “NEVER Edge Black Bottle!” ? I always thought that Castrol Euro spec was good stuff! Please share your experience.
I have run Castol Edge (formally syntec) in EC ILSAC formulations ( 5w20, 5w30) - not the Euro Spec.
Engine ran like you filled the sump with Toluol and Acetone. Other than hyper aggressive cleaning - it did everything else bad. I have a UOA here on my Ford Ecosport

The 10W30 QS FS that immediately replaced it on the other hand seems to do everything right. - Ken

Last edited:
Walmart online raised the price of PUP in 0W-20 5 quart jug to $33.00

As of last night most other viscosities of PUP are still $24.99 for the 5 quart jug.

They probably will also increase in price soon.

This explains why many Walmart stores have a small amount in the store. People who know the price is going to go up are getting it before that happens.

Mobil themselves recommend Mobil 1 0W40 FS or Mobil 1 HM 10W40 for older classics.
I see no reason for the similarly priced, but much less capable 5W30 to be used. In my opinion - best option (for any liquid-cooled gasoline engine really) is a Porsche A40/MB229.5 rated oils. Which is why I use it in every engine I own, and all engines I maintain for family.
Below are the testing procedures for Porsche A40 rated oils.
MB229.5 rating is even more stringent. I can confidently say that no 5W30 (including those "extended" or "advanced" ones) from Wal-Mart will pass all of this testing, unless it is A3/B4 and is on official MB229.5 approved list.
You are right, Edge Euro 0w-40 black bottle is good oil.
Ok, now you guys are steering me towards 0w40 for this car too! 😂😭

I have run Castol Edge (formally syntec) in EC ILSAC formulations ( 5w20, 5w30) - not the Euro Spec.
Engine ran like you filled the sump with Toluol and Acetone. Other than hyper aggressive cleaning - it did everything else bad. I have a UOA here on my Ford Ecosport

The 10W30 QS FS that immediately replaced it on the other hand seems to do everything right. - Ken
That explains the 19,000 positive reviews on Amazon.

5W a mistake. You do NOT want a high load of VM (viscosty index improvers)- they are nasty

#1 10W30 QS FS - not PP!
#2 Valvoline Advanced
-
-
#5 Castrol Magnatec - NEVER Edge Black Bottle!

Been all over these oils the past few years. - Ken
That's been my list (though QSFS 5W-30, along Kirkland Signature 5W-30, and Castrol 0W-40). QSFS 10W-30 is fine as well, but not in Alaska's winter!

Back