Best 20K oil

N3n
You came to the right place for this OCI question
There are more knowledgeable people on this forum than I can count.
"Without Data you're just another person with an opinion" W.E. Deming
I just finished my 2nd UOA on a 2016 F-150 Ecoboost with Amsoil SS 5w-30
The 1st uoa was 5k miles (plenty of life in the Oil, TBN was 4.22)
I skipped 7500 miles because I saw someone on this site doing it.
The 2nd uoa I did at 10k miles, the Oil still looked pretty good. The TBN was 2.80
The next OCI will be for 12,500 miles, and should be completed later this year. I don't anticipate going past 12,500 miles, as I think the TBN will be approx 2.0
It's no secret that these Turbo Engines are hard on Oil. High heat, and the fuel dilution shears the Oil out of Grade.
N3n
Best of luck to you as you look to stretch your oci, but be aware of the limitations of any Synthetic Oil in these Ecoboost Motors.
What was you fuel dilution?

"Without Data you're just another person with an opinion" W.E. Deming
The next OCI will be for 12,500 miles
You're going well over 2x longer than most believe is even "possible" with your engine. If you believe everyone, your engine will only survive a few hundred miles longer than the automaker's warranty and explode.... There will be issues with cam phasers, timing chain guides, etc, etc yet the engine oil is still very much viable according to UOAs. These UOAs are a pesky thing ! Suggestions are always to have them done but don't believe or accept them when they go against conventional (here) wisdom ! 😂

Highway miles, engine in good shape but out of warranty, port injection, decent sized sump. Mobil 1 EP, Amsoil SS, HPL. 20k= doable with suitable filter (s).

All the oils that say they are good for long intervals also say to follow the manufacturer recommendations regarding oil change intervals.
I ran a bunch of M1 AP and disclaimers mentioned being under warranty and when exceeding OEM recommendations
(and of course one year max)
Never ran it over 10k though … and that’s “extended” use for me 😷

Last edited:
As a tech for a whole lot of manufacturers, currently at BMW.
At ford we told customers 5,000 miles max.
At Nissan we told customers 5,000 miles max.
At VW we did 10,000 miles in TDI and 5,000 miles in gas. Also don’t carry 508/509 oil. Only use 504/507 0w30
At Toyota we did 5,000 miles max, if 10k changes were done you had an oil burner before 100,000 miles on engine, especially when the 0w16 grade was used.
At BMW we do 5,000 mile, BMW says 15,000. Also we don’t run 20wt in anything. BMW (Castrol) 0w30
Seen a lot of ford engines needing Replacing when oil was not changed.
At Honda changed oil at 5,000 miles max.

Almost Every consumer falls under the extreme category.

Moral of story don’t extend drains, just do 5,000 mile intervals and call it a day. Your engine will thank you.

Just an opinion to lob out there...I don't see many 20k mile oils working from a xw20 viscosity if direct injection and or T-gdi is involved. Small oil capacities and fuel diluted doesn't make for a easy run. Would run either the hpl or amsoil

Been running 10K oil changes in my 2015 f150 v6 turbo with 105000 miles on it does not burn a drop of oil and runs great

Been running 10K oil changes in my 2015 f150 v6 turbo with 105000 miles on it does not burn a drop of oil and runs great
My manual for my 21 5.0 F150 says 7,500 to 10,000 miles but do not exceed 1 year. I have been doing 9,500 to 10,000 depending on my schedule. No oil burning for me either.

...any oil manufacturer. Even Mobil1's conditions slink out of coverage.

If Mobil1 is confident in their oil being good for 20k miles, why won't they step up and cover when the automaker won't ? Years ago, Valvoline offered a "warranty" but required you to change the oil every 5k miles. Didn't matter if the automaker said 7.5k or used a system that determined the interval. If you didn't follow the 5k rule, no warranty. Point is, it's all marketing fluff.

Amsoil here claims guaranteed protection 25k/1 year.

You forgot about Supertech's 20K oil.
Of the three I'd choose Mobil1 EP but I'd never go 20K on any oil.
I didn't include it since a pds of both the 10 and 20k versions showed near carbon copy numbers. Made me very suspicious.

Reactions: pbm
I'd never run any oil 20,000 miles. Not even the Amsoil SS 25,000 mile oil if I changed the filter every 8,000 miles. Ever.
However, I am going to run Amsoil in our 2020 Toyota Rav 4 XLE but, will change it every 7,500
miles. Period.
NO WAY I'd chance ANY OIL at 25, 000 miles.

I'd never run any oil 20,000 miles. Not even the Amsoil SS 25,000 mile oil if I changed the filter every 8,000 miles. Ever.
However, I am going to run Amsoil in our 2020 Toyota Rav 4 XLE but, will change it every 7,500
miles. Period.
NO WAY I'd chance ANY OIL at 25, 000 miles.
Agreed

Back