Best 2021 Small Truck?

IMG_0365.jpg

After 110,000 miles and 6 years of heavy use you see rot here? This is also similar to my 2003 Tacoma with 223,000 miles.
IMG_0362.jpg

110,000 miles and 6 years old and yes it gets used and abused pretty heavily. My 2003 has 223,000 and is similar condition, as well as my 2008 Tundra.. Do I maintain my vehicles? Yes. Do I spend a lot of time doing it? No. As you can see the break calipers are dirty and pins need lubricated. Did I clean the calipers and grease pins? No! It will get done sometime in the next 6 months.

You bashing Toyota for your experience is not shared with our experience over the last 35 years. Furthermore, I really don't see it as universal with the brand as you claim it is. My recommendation is figure out what you might have done or not done to influence the experience you received.

The frame rotting you speak of happens with metal that is exposed to salt. The rotting is not brand specific. My suggestion is stay out of salt water or do something to prevent it. There is no perfect vehicle.

The frame rotting you speak of happens with metal that is exposed to salt. The rotting is not brand specific.
Toyota Frame rust was really a supplier fault, Dana i believe, and Toyota did the right thing and replaced it for the owners. If the metal was better treated by the supplier it would have lasted longer. Anyone using this past issue as a reason to not by a new one is not really justified.

Update:

We drove a ZR2, and my bride was tickled pink...I was surprised by how quiet it was, and how supple the suspension is.

Tried to drive a Toyota - the dealer basically said it was impossible to get the TRD Pro, and we would have to drive 3+ hours to see one...um...I guess they don't want a sale.

Stopped to look at the Ford...spent about 2 minutes and she said "no"

Still hoping to drive the Toy for comparison, but not looking good so far. Asked the Chevy dealer if they could get color and options of choice in for a drive...guess we will see.

Toyota Tacoma hands down at the dealership where I work we hardly see any issues with them other than the push button start failing like they do in all cars that have them. Absolutely do not buy a Chevy or Nissan they are horrible vehicles especially the new ones. And I am a Ford guy but the new rangers really suck too as with anything new just about. Don’t get a Tacoma with a push button start though that is the only problem you will have is it will fail and be a very costly repair.

Toyota Tacoma hands down at the dealership where I work we hardly see any issues with them other than the push button start failing like they do in all cars that have them. Absolutely do not buy a Chevy or Nissan they are horrible vehicles especially the new ones. And I am a Ford guy but the new rangers really suck too as with anything new just about. Don’t get a Tacoma with a push button start though that is the only problem you will have is it will fail and be a very costly repair.

Well if the dealer is unwilling/able to get one for us to drive, not much of an option.

Update:

We drove a ZR2, and my bride was tickled pink...I was surprised by how quiet it was, and how supple the suspension is.

Tried to drive a Toyota - the dealer basically said it was impossible to get the TRD Pro, and we would have to drive 3+ hours to see one...um...I guess they don't want a sale.

Stopped to look at the Ford...spent about 2 minutes and she said "no"

Still hoping to drive the Toy for comparison, but not looking good so far. Asked the Chevy dealer if they could get color and options of choice in for a drive...guess we will see.

Cool truck - great offroad- for sure. Do you go off-road a lot? It didnt sound like it.

Did you check out the 75-80 MPH mileage on that truck?
The forums show it getting mileage closer to my half ton 15-18 at those speeds.

Of the group you called out - I originally picked the chevy for you. I think you'll find the Toyota a total dog without the mileage to make up for it.
A high end colorado with some bilsteins seems a better freeway flier.
The ZR has less payload, towing and MPG than its less radical brother.

UD

Last edited:
Nostalgia is real. Multiple generations of rotting frames says a lot about How much Toyota cares for quality.
I’ve replaced three door lock actuator motors, blower motor, resistor/connector, had THREE leaf spring replacements, bad Ujoints, and three other TSB’s done in the 9 years I’ve owned my truck. I’m not
an outlier.
“Seating position” is pretty far down on the list for why I wouldn’t buy another Tacoma. I actually don’t mind the 30k spark plug interval (easy change), I was simply commenting on the “my Tacoma’s spark plugs will last longer than the competitions truck...” comment above.
At best you could say that Toyota's drive-trains are pretty solid (I’d hope so when they use old tech in new Generations and then produce them for 10+ years (hello tundra, 2007 wasn’t so long ago was it?) The rest of the vehicle isn’t any better than the competition.
It took Toyota until 2020 to put apple car play into the Tacoma. 2020.

Toyota isn’t perfect but to say they don’t care about quality is just ignorant. They replaced those rusted frames free of charge beyond the warranty period. It would have taken a class action lawsuit to get any one of the “Big Three” to do that. And Apple Car Play? Seriously? You gotta be a millennial.

Toyota definitely takes care of their clients from my perspective they replaced my lexus cracked dashboard at 10 years old for no charge - amazing service.

Im a genx and I wouldn't have a new rig without car play - the cars built in maps, or even a garmin on the dash are nowhere as good or up to date as whats on your phone, and waze is awesome on road trips.

UD

Well if the dealer is unwilling/able to get one for us to drive, not much of an option.
But the TRD PRO is SOOO cool you have to just buy it w/o driving it and you have to pay at least MSRP for it. -Toyota Fanbois and dealers. Spoiler alert, its not really worth it and wont ride as good as a standard tacoma.

The time i drove a ZR2 i was able to buy it for 7k off sticker on the gas model. Sadly it was a bit tight for car seats, so it wasn't going to work. The ride was amazing though. Those spool valve shocks are so sweet. I'm not a fan of the non-ls based GM engines but it felt like it had good power.

Toyota Frame rust was really a supplier fault, Dana i believe, and Toyota did the right thing and replaced it for the owners. If the metal was better treated by the supplier it would have lasted longer. Anyone using this past issue as a reason to not by a new one is not really justified.

It was a problem for almost 20 years over multiple generations. Anyone using this and numerous other issues as the basis for an argument that Toyota isn’t the bastion of reliability that people think is pretty well justified.

Toyota loyalists go straight to ad hominem if You dare cross the rubicon of dissent. Heck, I LIKE my Tacoma (purchased new in 2011), but I certainly wouldn’t purchase a new one. They just don’t rate the premium, IMO. Standby for more incoming...

But the TRD PRO is SOOO cool you have to just buy it w/o driving it and you have to pay at least MSRP for it. -Toyota Fanbois and dealers. Spoiler alert, its not really worth it and wont ride as good as a standard tacoma.

The time i drove a ZR2 i was able to buy it for 7k off sticker on the gas model. Sadly it was a bit tight for car seats, so it wasn't going to work. The ride was amazing though. Those spool valve shocks are so sweet. I'm not a fan of the non-ls based GM engines but it felt like it had good power.

No more car seats, we are grandparents now...our oldest has graduated college and off on her own - married and has blessed us with our beautiful 3 year old granddaughter, our middle is in her second year at university, and our youngest is 9.

If we go with the ZR2, I am also tossing around the idea of getting rid of the Xterra. We only use it for a "dog truck", off roading and trips to Colorado, and shuttling sweaty kids to soccer/football. I don't go hard on the trails, so guessing the ZR2 would do just fine, and since my Silverado is getting a little long in the tooth as well as new hail damage, and a hit and run that took off the front bumper, I may be ok with relegating it to dog duty as well.

We will see...still no word back from the local Toy dealer...I guess they are selling more than they can keep up with. I even wrote them a note saying I wasn't happy with not being able to drive the TRD Pro, with no reply.

It sounds like the ZR2 would do quite well for you and your family. They are VERY capable bone stock. I doubt you will get to drive a TRD PRO anytime soon. Most listings for them online don't even have photos. This means they don't have it yet and/or its already sold and they just want leads for future orders. Finding a local Tacoma Fanboi who might let you check theirs out while they brag about how cool it is more likely than a dealer having it/letting you drive it. "TRD PRO" is so over valued across their whole line and people eat it up anyway.

View attachment 28204

After 110,000 miles and 6 years of heavy use you see rot here? This is also similar to my 2003 Tacoma with 223,000 miles.
View attachment 28205

110,000 miles and 6 years old and yes it gets used and abused pretty heavily. My 2003 has 223,000 and is similar condition, as well as my 2008 Tundra.. Do I maintain my vehicles? Yes. Do I spend a lot of time doing it? No. As you can see the break calipers are dirty and pins need lubricated. Did I clean the calipers and grease pins? No! It will get done sometime in the next 6 months.

You bashing Toyota for your experience is not shared with our experience over the last 35 years. Furthermore, I really don't see it as universal with the brand as you claim it is. My recommendation is figure out what you might have done or not done to influence the experience you received.

The frame rotting you speak of happens with metal that is exposed to salt. The rotting is not brand specific. My suggestion is stay out of salt water or do something to prevent it. There is no perfect vehicle.
Frame rot is a design problem. Boxed frames which retain road salt will rust out. In all fairness, Jeep had this issue too with CJ and Wranglers. Your Toyota is obviously not from the rust belt. It's not made from some kind of obtainium that doesn't rust.

Frame rot is a design problem. Boxed frames which retain road salt will rust out. In all fairness, Jeep had this issue too with CJ and Wranglers. Your Toyota is obviously not from the rust belt. It's not made from some kind of obtainium that doesn't rust.

Didn't say that. Simply wanted those to observe if properly cared for you can keep a vehicle looking decent. Frame rot happens on all steel exposed to salt water that isn't maintained. You will get it on the sheet metal, frame, all over. I see plenty of vehicles from the North here all rotted out.

It sounds like the ZR2 would do quite well for you and your family. They are VERY capable bone stock. I doubt you will get to drive a TRD PRO anytime soon. Most listings for them online don't even have photos. This means they don't have it yet and/or its already sold and they just want leads for future orders. Finding a local Tacoma Fanboi who might let you check theirs out while they brag about how cool it is more likely than a dealer having it/letting you drive it. "TRD PRO" is so over valued across their whole line and people eat it up anyway.

What's with the "fanboi"? Do you go up to people in the lots that have Tacoma and call them "fanboi"?

There is a reason they don't sit on the lots.

What's with the "fanboi"? Do you go up to people in the lots that have Tacoma and call them "fanboi"?

There is a reason they don't sit on the lots.
Fanboys are generally rabid, sometimes frothing at the mouth people who cannot possibly accept a differing opinion who think their product is gods gift to mankind, they’re annoying.

Back