Best 2021 Small Truck?

Ok BITOG, just looking for some helpful feedback...

My wife currently drives a Stelvio (best driving SUV EVER!). Problem is, our local dealer closed down, and now the closest one is over 3 hours away...making service, etc. very difficult...and my wife very upset. I just took it back for a third warranty trip, and it takes a whole day+ which is a giant pain! She loves her current ride, but won't tolerate a dealer that far away. We have been talking about suitable replacements, and she is really attracted to the top level small truck segment (ie. Chevy Colorado ZR2, Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO).

Yes, it will be a "mall crawler", I will most likely put a hard bed cover on it to act as a weatherproof storage area.

Which is the best and why? I am personally heavily leaning toward the Chevy as everything I have read says it has the best ride and handling. We are not tech nerds...so a super fancy info-tainment is of little value to us. I am also a long time Chevy fan. I do like the looks of a blacked out Ranger...but am reading the ride it terrible. My wife is leaning toward the Toyota...but it seems old and dated and slow...

thoughts? Are there other top level, small trucks I am missing? (I WILL NEVER DRIVE A HONDA).

I am liking my 2017 Nissan Frontier. Some people on this forum say old and dated, but it certainly isn't slow with the v6. Ride? I don't know, as I really don't have anything to compare it to. Oh, and I also don't use the infotainment system, so if it is outdated, I wouldn't know. As a matter of fact I couldn't even tell you if the radio works.

As much as I think Toyota’s are overhyped and overpriced, I’d get a Tacoma over a Colorado. Just wasn’t that impressed with the Colorado, I found the seats to be pretty uncomfortable. I really liked the Nissan Frontier.

I’d also steer clear of the Ridgeline. FWD/FWD based AWD is a no-go in a truck for me.

There is also Jeep Gladiator, but the old-school styling isn't everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I think the Colorado ZR2 looks better.

As a Tacoma owner, I'd say to NOT get one. I can explain my reasons upon request.

The new Ford Ranger looks pretty good.

I have to go with "Stangguy" above. My 2017 Frontier is fantastic. Dead nuts reliable. The V6 4.0 is just about as reliable as the 2.4L K series motor Honda uses. Not a fancy truck tech wise, just the way I want it. The ONLY thing that is not that fantastic is the MPG's. The motor is quick for a V6 in a truck! My favorite aspect of this vehicle is that every single maintenance item is so stupid easy in this truck. Look at the Pro-4x or Desert Runner. I got into my SV trim for 25K OTD. Sprayed in bedliner, tow package, and some other items. Best value on the market when it comes to small/mid trucks. My suggestion would be to go get a left over 2019. I think the 20's and up have "upgrades" on them that I wouldn't want to pay for.

Have a friend that had a 2018 Chev Colorado. Could not get the transmission to work right after multiple dealer visits. Took the loss and traded it in on a 2019 Ranger Lariat. Loves his Ranger.
Tacoma problem is the "legs and arms stretched" out driver's position and it becomes a long, narrow truck with the double cab.
Vote here for the Ranger.

That's a huge difference going from that Alfa Romeo to a "small" pickup truck. Like said, the only true small ones left are the Tacoma and the Frontier. I wouldn't call either one luxurious even in the top trim configuration. I've put a few miles on my in-laws 2017 Nissan Frontier crew cab, long bed 4x4 and it's a nice truck. Turning radius is annoyingly large on them and the fuel economy is in V8 territory. My 2019 Ram 1500 classic with a hemi does much better than my in-laws Frontier MPG wise. Because of that I just don't see the point of owning one. I get it though. Some people need the "small" size.

I think the correct way to look at it is the Tacoma is overpriced due to the reliability hype. This does help with resale value for current owners, but as The Critic said above, you can get into a full size truck with more legroom+power+MPG+features for the same or less money.

Reliability hype? LOL. Okay whatever. A full size Dodge or Chevy will be ready for the crusher before my Tacoma is due for spark plugs.

Reliability hype? LOL. Okay whatever. A full size Dodge or Chevy will be ready for the crusher before my Tacoma is due for spark plugs.
Not sure if I would say that. I'm a pretty big Toyota fan as evident by my posts here, but the 16+ Tacoma has its share of issues. Valve seats, rear end noise, etc, it is not nearly as reliable as the 2nd gens.

I don't know about your used truck, but the trade in value on mine went up $2K last month according to Credit Karma.

I would like to drive the new Bronco Sport this fall. Looks nice but not to Off Roady

They will probably be $5K ADM for the first few months.

I am a Toyota fan, (having worked at a Dealer back in the day, and independent shops where I worked on all brands) so I'd say the Tacoma. Even though I'm not a fan of the peaky 3.5 V6.

If she wants a fun CUV, I'd suggest some form of BMW. My wife's is a lot of fun to drive, and has no trouble getting up to speed on the on-ramps.

Last edited:
Back