Best 2021 Small Truck?

ZR2 rides the best but why buy another truck if you have a full-size? A nice SUV CUV or even something smaller like a Golf R would be way more fun to daily drive than a truck.

I would be concerned with durability with the Ford. Right now Ford is also struggling financially. As you are aware GM went bankrupt a while back. I had purchased the Ford stock around that time for $2. The company is losing money and the stock sits at $6. A comparison Toyota is $134 stock with strong financials.

The in-laws have Fords and that thing has been in and out of the shop too many times to count. They finally replaced the motor at 160,000 miles. Not a good experience.

I have people I work with that have GM. They have replaced transmissions with under 50,000 miles and air conditioners. I told these people to buy the Tundra. They regret their decisions. The one individual got rid of his GM and bought a Raptor as it had too many problems.

I don't know about you but for my family I am not sending them down the road with something that may not be reliable. My wife has been driving the Tundra for 12 years and absolutely loves it 103,000 miles later. My opinion the truck is too big for her. I bought her a 2020 Camry so she has the option.

If this is something you will only hold on to for a short period then you can probably get any of the choices listed.

I don’t know what you guys are carrying in the wee Ford where you think it is valuable or useful to reach 0-60 in 5 seconds. Maybe you are medical couriers or something.

Seating position in the taco is terrible. Yes it has great resale and aftermarket support but if you can’t sit comfortably who cares.
The ride in the zr2 is the best out of the bunch. The multimatic DSSV dampers are great. Will they keep up with 3” bypass remote shocks on the whoops? No. But for most of what you’re asking including around town they work great.

ZR2 rides the best but why buy another truck if you have a full-size? A nice SUV CUV or even something smaller like a Golf R would be way more fun to daily drive than a truck.

Sometimes households need 2 trucks. Im one of those.

Nothing rides/drives/ handles like the Ridgeline- it drives like a sporty sedan. The body of frame vehicle fee like stepping back 20 years in time comparatively.

I have owned several Toyotas. I like them. My Ford full sized p/u have been equally trouble free though. 84 ,92. 2006 and my Dads 96 Toyotas then 79, 2002, 2015 and 2018 Fords , I own both the 2015 and 2018

Seating position in the taco is terrible. Yes it has great resale and aftermarket support but if you can’t sit comfortably who cares.
The ride in the zr2 is the best out of the bunch. The multimatic DSSV dampers are great. Will they keep up with 3” bypass remote shocks on the whoops? No. But for most of what you’re asking including around town they work great.
Thats the main reason i didnt even look at Tacoma.The seating is way to low,its like sitting on the floor.

Reliability hype? LOL. Okay whatever. A full size Dodge or Chevy will be ready for the crusher before my Tacoma is due for spark plugs.

...2nd gen Tacoma’s have a 30k spark plug interval...

I’m a Tacoma owner, and I wouldn’t buy one again. Toyota’s reliability is mostly hype at this point.

To all the Tacoma seating position bashers: have you tried the 2020+ models? They finally have power adjustable driver seats. Still not really my favorite but you can count on it 100% and the resale is great too. Perhaps after too much Alfa warranty time a flawless Toyota (boring) experience is perfect.

"Ride quality and AWD (NOT 4WD) performance are the most important "

By ignoring the Honda, you're missing out on the best in class when it comes to ride quality and AWD. Otherwise I'd go full size.

Last edited:
...2nd gen Tacoma’s have a 30k spark plug interval...

I’m a Tacoma owner, and I wouldn’t buy one again. Toyota’s reliability is mostly hype at this point.

Bashing a factory spark plug interval. I actually use the Iridium plugs and you can get lazer iridium with a 80,000-100,000 mile interval. Why do you think many fall for the hype and lack of reliability?

I don't experience the seating issue you describe. I have found when purchasing a vehicle you have to get accustomed to the change. I have experienced this in all the vehicles I have owned over the years. Now if you want to talk about bad seats my 1985 Toy pickup had some bad ones, however, that vehicle is still in use running biodiesel on a farm in New Mexico.

Bashing a factory spark plug interval. I actually use the Iridium plugs and you can get lazer iridium with a 80,000-100,000 mile interval. Why do you think many fall for the hype and lack of reliability?

Nostalgia is real. Multiple generations of rotting frames says a lot about How much Toyota cares for quality.
I’ve replaced three door lock actuator motors, blower motor, resistor/connector, had THREE leaf spring replacements, bad Ujoints, and three other TSB’s done in the 9 years I’ve owned my truck. I’m not
an outlier.
“Seating position” is pretty far down on the list for why I wouldn’t buy another Tacoma. I actually don’t mind the 30k spark plug interval (easy change), I was simply commenting on the “my Tacoma’s spark plugs will last longer than the competitions truck...” comment above.
At best you could say that Toyota's drive-trains are pretty solid (I’d hope so when they use old tech in new Generations and then produce them for 10+ years (hello tundra, 2007 wasn’t so long ago was it?) The rest of the vehicle isn’t any better than the competition.
It took Toyota until 2020 to put apple car play into the Tacoma. 2020.

Back