Best <$100 4 season tire for Honda Accord??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy from Discount Tire. Get the price from Discount Tire Direct and/or Tire Rack and ask them to price match. I want my tires to wear out in about 5 years and 40k so I can get my pro rate and go again. The Goodyears,I mentioned,have 6 year 80k warrantys.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I buy from Discount Tire. Get the price from Discount Tire Direct and/or Tire Rack and ask them to price match. I want my tires to wear out in about 5 years and 40k so I can get my pro rate and go again. The Goodyears,I mentioned,have 6 year 80k warrantys.

I buy from both DTD & TR. Have bought 5 sets of 4 tires in the last 6 yrs and have introduced many friends/family to these sites.

We're lucky down here. Lots of DT retail locations make it really convenient to pull in for a free air or free rotations. Got a location 2 miles from my house. Always courteous and fair.

If you have a Sam's Club membership, they usually have decent tire prices. I see Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S for $105ea. I think Sam's charges $15ea for mounting, balancing, road hazard, and lifetime rotation. Sam's is not equipped to perform alignments. (At lets not around me.)

Well, I asked you guys advice and got plenty of it, but when I stood in front of the sales person at Discount Tire in Everett, WA, he convinced me that Michelin Destiny would be a very good tire for my car.

With the $70 mail in rebate in mind, I was lured into buying this tire that I believe none of you had recommended - and after a few hundred miles, I know why.
33.gif

The Accord already suffers more road noise than other car in its class and the Destiny tires are way louder than the Kumho's I had before. Even worse, the car seems unsettled and tends to want to follow every grove in the road.

So far have only experienced dry roads - don't know how they will do in wet or snowy conditions, but I am afraid I have 80K agonizing miles ahead to wear out these things
sick.gif

8(

You took the salesman's word over the considered input of numerous fellow BITOG'rs?

Don't feel bad. I let the sales guy talk me into Altimax over Cooper CS4s. I had researched both, but I should have spent the extra $20 to get what I wanted. Now every time I take a corner and hear the tires chirp I am reminded of my decision.

Take 'em back and get the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treads for a soft,quiet ride. You might lose 1-2 mpg. Took my Destinys back because of Road Noise. DT seems to push the Michelins.

Originally Posted By: sr17
Well, I asked you guys advice and got plenty of it, but when I stood in front of the sales person at Discount Tire in Everett, WA, he convinced me that Michelin Destiny would be a very good tire for my car.

I'm very surprised that Discount Tire pushed you into buying a T-rated tire for a vehicle that they know takes a V-rated tire. That's not a good showing in my opinion. The tire is not appropriate for the vehicle. They should have pushed you toward the Primacy MXV4, if they really wanted to sell a set of Michelins.

II would not mind getting the Kumho's again, but it appears that particular model (HP4) is no longer available, and I don't know if what they have replaced it with is better or worse.

I think they replaced it with the Solus KH16

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
The P6 came out in 2003. The P4 is newer and an all around better tire. Being a OEM tire doesn't mean much. The auto manufactures usually go with the lowest bidder.

P6 is a [censored] OEM tire with little to no traction, P4 seems to have good review.

Gotta admit I know too little about tires, thus the pickle I am in.

What is the difference between Four Season and All Season tires? Sounds like a half a dozen of one and 6 of the other kind of thing to me, but someone told me Four Season is better. Should I believe
confused.gif

All season = everything but snow, basically 3 season tires. (7C & up)
Winter tires = winter (below 7C)

4 season = Nokian WR is the only one I know of...but they do compromise on life and warm weather handling a bit.

A set of winters can save you from an accident, happened to me just this morning, I just about got sideswiped, can cost less than your insurance deductible and good for few years per set.

Last edited:
What is the difference between Four Season and All Season tires? Sounds like a half a dozen of one and 6 of the other kind of thing to me, but someone told me Four Season is better. Should I believe
confused.gif

The "Four Season" in this case is simply the model name of the Pirelli P4 tire. The full name of the tire is the "Pirelli P4 Four Seasons". You'll note that Tire Rack correctly refers to it as an "all-season" tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P4+Four+Seasons

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

4 season = Nokian WR is the only one I know of...but they do compromise on life and warm weather handling a bit.

Vredestein Quatrac 3's are 4 season tires also. They are even harder to find then the Nokian WRG2's.

Quatrac3-tire.JPG

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
II would not mind getting the Kumho's again, but it appears that particular model (HP4) is no longer available, and I don't know if what they have replaced it with is better or worse.

I think they replaced it with the Solus KH16

The KH16 is a nice tire, I had a set that OEM'd on my Kia Rondo, I wish I would have replaced them with the same, instead I got Michelin Primacy MXV4s and they are much firmer riding than the Kumhos plus get worse mileage. But I guess they'll probably last longer, prolonging my misery.

p.s.: if you don't like the Destinys, take them back TODAY!!

Agree with the Primacys being too harsh on my Accord. The Destinys rode better but were too loud on the highway.

So on you guys advice I phoned up Discount Tire and told them about my poor experience with the Destiny's. "No problem, just come back at your convenience within the next few days and we will get you in to something that works better for you".

He also said he felt I should not have been steered to wards the Destiny's in the first place.

So the in-stock choices he suggested was either the Michelin MXV4 which I believe is "H" rated, and around $10 more per tire, but I would get them at no extra charge, or the Pirelli P4's, which are a couple of bucks less than the Destiny's.

Unfortunately, many of the tires you have suggested do not seem to be a stocking item for DT.

What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back