Benjamin 397 First Shots

I took my new Benjamin 397/.177 caliber pellet rifle out to shoot some targets in my back yard range at my dads house earlier in the day Saturday. I was about 30' away shooting from a table on a sand bag. These shots are without adjusting the sight.
BENJAMIN TARGETS.jpeg

Lots of opinions on how to break in a new airgun, some say 100 shots, some say 200 and up to 500 shots to get the lube out and for it to settle down. I'd certainly hope for better after a few hundred shots. Depending on your eyesight those open sights don't help, I can't use them at all, but a decent peep sight like the Williams is a different story.

Williams sight for 397

Lots of opinions on how to break in a new airgun, some say 100 shots, some say 200 and up to 500 shots to get the lube out and for it to settle down. I'd certainly hope for better after a few hundred shots. Depending on your eyesight those open sights don't help, I can't use them at all, but a decent peep sight like the Williams is a different story.

Williams sight for 397
I was always taught that it took at least 25 shots for the barrel to break in properly. This is my 4th Benjamin, including (2) Benjamin air pistols. The one in the pic below, I can shoot a gnat off of a fleas arse at 20'.

BENJAMIN PISTOL.jpeg

So your 20' targets with the pistol are better than that 30' target with the rifle? If not you must have darn big gnats in Cajun Country. ;)
Those were my 1st ten shots with my BRAND NEW 397. And, the gnat on a fleas arse was a figure of speech. 🐿️ 🤷‍♂️

fig·ure of speech

noun

1. a word or phrase used in a non-literal sense for rhetorical or vivid effect.

If you're happy with it that's all that matters. I did some competitive shooting and my son went to the National Matches a couple of times so my idea of accuracy is likely different than yours. All good. (y)

If you're happy with it that's all that matters. I did some competitive shooting and my son went to the National Matches a couple of times so my idea of accuracy is likely different than yours. All good. (y)
Did he qualify for the Olympics? If not, he should think about it.
Yeah, I'm happy with the factory sights. (y)

Back