Benefits and Reasons to Buy an iPhone?

Yes, Motorola used to be a high quality American communications company. Im old enough to know that (gulp)

If you buy a Motorola cell phone it is made by Chinese owned Motorola Mobility, subsidiary of Chinese owned Lenovo. Both Chinese corporations as you said. Sorry I know you know this I was just spelling it out for others in here, so they dont convolute that somehow their Motorola cell phone is American.

Lenovo is still somewhat complex. They were a big company before, but their position in worldwide computing is a result of their purchase of IBM's personal computing division. I had a coworker who went to Lenovo's development labs, which were (and still are) in North Carolina, where they took over IBM's previous PC operations. And with the purchase of Motorola Mobility, Lenovo is still employing R&D in Illinois.

I'm a big Android guy and I absolutely hate Apple products. My company recently provided me with an iPhone and an iPad and I just really don't like the iPhone and plan to only use it for calls and text messages. The only reason my company uses Apple products is because there are certain apps and other programs that are Apple specific that we must use to conduct business.

I do like the fact that you can block text messages, group text messages in particular, with Apple products because my mom loves sending out those group text messages that I despise being included in.
The hatred I have for group texts lol. I always blast friends and family that included me in those. I’ll have to check message settings I didn’t know you could disable group texting.

Yes, Motorola used to be a high quality American communications company. Im old enough to know that (gulp)

If you buy a Motorola cell phone it is made by Chinese owned Motorola Mobility, subsidiary of Chinese owned Lenovo. Both Chinese corporations as you said. Sorry I know you know this I was just spelling it out for others in here, so they dont convolute that somehow their Motorola cell phone is American.
Yep, you do see a Lenovo logo when my ~3yr/old moto E3 supra boots up.

The hatred I have for group texts lol. I always blast friends and family that included me in those. I’ll have to check message settings I didn’t know you could disable group texting.
Group texts are dangerous *LOL* ...
They sit in your app, then one day you hastily send a text to someone meant just for them and realize after you send it, that you sent it to a group!

Does this mean when you turn on your Motorola phone, and girl says "Hello Moto", she is Chinese?

It's incredible people still pay for phones. I switch between metrobyT-Mobile and boost and cricket whenever I want a free phone. Youre locked up for just 6 months and can switch again, which they call port in, and receive a new and better phone while keeping your number. ,I usually do it every 18 months unless I dropped it and cracked the screen

I've paid for them in in 90's when had them for business. A mobile back then came with a shoulder bag you had to carry with you LOL

It's incredible people still pay for phones. I switch between metrobyT-Mobile and boost and cricket whenever I want a free phone. Youre locked up for just 6 months and can switch again, which they call port in, and receive a new and better phone while keeping your number. ,I usually do it every 18 months unless I dropped it and cracked the screen

I've paid for them in in 90's when had them for business. A mobile back then came with a shoulder bag you had to carry with you LOL
Sounds like you need to reinvest all those savings on devices into buying a phone case.

One has to consider you don't get the same level of service with the budget carriers. Yeah phone have become stupid expensive...I just bought a Pixel 6 for $600 but over the course of 3 years or so that I tend to keep each device it's a drop in the bucket.

One has to consider you don't get the same level of service with the budget carriers.
My mother been on cricket for at least 5-yrs. She inherited my 6s only time she stepped into a store was when she upgraded to her XR 3 yrs ago. I’m on vz prepaid honestly she has less network issues than I have. Maybe I should be on cricket. 🤔

Sounds like you need to reinvest all those savings on devices into buying a phone case.

One has to consider you don't get the same level of service with the budget carriers. Yeah phone have become stupid expensive...I just bought a Pixel 6 for $600 but over the course of 3 years or so that I tend to keep each device it's a drop in the bucket.
When I'm on a 40,50 or 60 dollar plan than that's all I want to pay. No extra taxes,fees or monthly phone payments.

I've had cellphones since 1991 and never had problems with the cheaper carriers. My first was primeco if you remember that one. The only reason Verizon,att and TMobile exist is they've become finance companies so they can sell crazy expensive phones.

When I'm on a 40,50 or 60 dollar plan than that's all I want to pay. No extra taxes,fees or monthly phone payments.

I've had cellphones since 1991 and never had problems with the cheaper carriers. My first was primeco if you remember that one. The only reason Verizon,att and TMobile exist is they've become finance companies so they can sell crazy expensive phones.
Well, in reality, TMobile, Verizon and AT&T are the only ones in the USA with a cell network that the others run on. They rent the space to the secondary providers. The cell networks would not exist if there was no one to pay for them.
As far as the crazy expensive phones, true but that is what the public wants.

BTW - we only pay $70 (actual payment) for two lines, Magenta 55+, unlimited high speed 5g too (where available) plus a bunch of other perks. Not only that but we got $1,600 credit on our bill for two new iPhone 13s. (we had to trade in our iPhone XR and iPhone 13 for that) Some of that credit is rebated to us on a monthly basis over a 2 year period.
Part of those perks are a Netflex subscription which we used to buy on our own so that reduces the net monthly cost to us.
Plus, not that is matters, limited to 1 hour a month data use on aircraft, overseas texting ect... I dont know all the features that stuff doesnt interest me.
SO to us, the actual NET COST for two new iPhone 13's is less than $300. over our $50 (actual payment) a month Redpocket ATT plan using phones we bought on our own.

Last edited:
I just recently purchased my first smartphone. Since it was my first, and because I knew (and still know) little about them, I got a new but inexpensive phone ... a Samsung A12. I bought the Samsung promarily because of name recognition and because I know some people (much more knowledgeable than I) who also have them. For the most part, I'm happy with the phone, but I'm also starting to think about an upgrade.

What are the benefits of an iPhone over an Android phone? Are there any features or technical reasons why my next phone should be an iPhone as opposed to an upgraded Android?

Since (as I understand it) Apple phones are pretty spendy, I'd be looking not at the latest phone but maybe a previous model with the intent of getting comparable quality and features at a lower price. What models would be worth considering? Perhaps a refurbished phone to save a few bucks?

Is there a recommended BITOG-type forum for iPhones that would be useful to join?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcome and useful at this point. Thanks!
I’m a Supertech Synthetic kind of guy. I almost never buy the “name brand” product. I’m of the opinion that there is a no-name out there that’s just as good and cheaper.

I make an exception for Apple products. Durable, well-integrated reliable. This device is almost six years old and just fine (with a couple of battery changes.)

No way would I pay the Apple frou-frou premium. Either get the two-year old model or the loss-leader model. I think it’s the SE something.

Well, in reality, TMobile, Verizon and AT&T are the only ones in the USA with a cell network that the others run on. They rent the space to the secondary providers. The cell networks would not exist if there was no one to pay for them.
As far as the crazy expensive phones, true but that is what the public wants.

BTW - we only pay $70 (actual payment) for two lines, Magenta 55+, unlimited high speed 5g too (where available) plus a bunch of other perks. Not only that but we got $1,600 credit on our bill for two new iPhone 13s. (we had to trade in our iPhone XR and iPhone 13 for that) Some of that credit is rebated to us on a monthly basis over a 2 year period.
Part of those perks are a Netflex subscription which we used to buy on our own so that reduces the net monthly cost to us.
Plus, not that is matters, limited to 1 hour a month data use on aircraft, overseas texting ect... I dont know all the features that stuff doesnt interest me.
SO to us, the actual NET COST for two new iPhone 13's is less than $300. over our $50 (actual payment) a month Redpocket ATT plan using phones we bought on our own.
every company gives perks

metro u get amazon prime
cricket gives you hbo max

didnt want to waste time checking boost but you get my point. If you like paying more for the same service and support and perks more power to you. I just offered up an alternative to the OP so he doesnt have to pay for an iphone

I’m a Supertech Synthetic kind of guy. I almost never buy the “name brand” product. I’m of the opinion that there is a no-name out there that’s just as good and cheaper.

I make an exception for Apple products. Durable, well-integrated reliable. This device is almost six years old and just fine (with a couple of battery changes.)

No way would I pay the Apple frou-frou premium. Either get the two-year old model or the loss-leader model. I think it’s the SE something.
You have the 1st gen iPhone se?

every company gives perks

metro u get amazon prime
cricket gives you hbo max

didnt want to waste time checking boost but you get my point. If you like paying more for the same service and support and perks more power to you. I just offered up an alternative to the OP so he doesnt have to pay for an iphone
I was just answering your post this is your statement “When I'm on a 40,50 or 60 dollar plan than that's all I want to pay. No extra taxes,fees or monthly phone payments.”

I was just replying with my trade-in I got a free $800 phone from T-Mobile and I pay $35 a month with more perks and faster service and more features than any companies you mentioned.
It’s a deal that really beats everything else.
Two lines $70 Magenta 55+
Two free iPhone 13s, maybe you missed that?
Nothing comes remotely close to that price that does include trading in my older Iphones.
I assume like everything you need good credit as well.

Last edited:
Back