Belt tensioner failure on installation!

As described, I don't know if it's the flu manufacturing or what but the second I went to install the belt....pop!

Manufactured 9/11/2021

Actually sending an email to Continental too. I have to go get a local part now from Napa that is a reasonable price so my employee can use his car again. He cannot wait again for a RockAuto to replace it.

2008 BMW X3

PXL_20240222_020151701_exported_1234_1708569387940.jpg

PXL_20240222_020205283.jpg

PXL_20240222_020226277.jpg

Well, at least you or your employee will end up with a spare tensioner at a later time? I have found Rock Auto to be pretty good handling returns, but the local store is the only way to remedy a stranded car quickly.

I like the idea of supporting the local parts house, but shopping for wiper blades or light bulbs at Rock auto has been an eye opener. It is fun to compare the pricing of headlight bulbs from Oreilly vs Rock. I ended up buying ten packs of bulbs for every position for four different cars in the family fleet at Rock.

Well, at least you or your employee will end up with a spare tensioner at a later time? I have found Rock Auto to be pretty good handling returns, but the local store is the only way to remedy a stranded car quickly.

I like the idea of supporting the local parts house, but shopping for wiper blades or light bulbs at Rock auto has been an eye opener. It is fun to compare the pricing of headlight bulbs from Oreilly vs Rock. I ended up buying ten packs of bulbs for every position for four different cars in the family fleet at Rock.
I've been getting 10-packs of smaller (ie tail/brake/marker) from Amazon. Typically pennies on the dollar of the cards at auto parts stores. I will say -- I've found a dud or two but they're so inexpensive it doesn't matter. If they do work, longevity seems fine.

Anyway, looks like poor metallurgy in a casting. Was this made in China?

I've been getting 10-packs of smaller (ie tail/brake/marker) from Amazon. Typically pennies on the dollar of the cards at auto parts stores. I will say -- I've found a dud or two but they're so inexpensive it doesn't matter. If they do work, longevity seems fine.

Anyway, looks like poor metallurgy in a casting. Was this made in China?
Contitech(Continental) part so I doubt it was made in Germany.

Reactions: D60
Back