Belgian Castrol 0w-40 vs m1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys
So what say the forum? Do these 2 oils carry most of the same specs? Which is better on paper.
I've seen a couple extended runs of Castrol edge lately that held up in a stellar manner even when exceeding 10000 miles.
I really like M1 0w-40 and if I could get it for 25 a jug is run it in everything I own however I just found Belgian Castrol 0w-40 for 30 a jug which makes it a contender for summertime in the charger.
So what say ye?
All opinions are welcome and if anyone has any experience with the Belgian Castrol please share your experience.

Thanks guys

Some have reported finding the 0w-40 product from Germany now.

It's probably impossible to declare one better than the other. Mobil 1 uses Moly, and some like oils with Moly and lots of Boron.

Castrol likely has better extreme low temperature performance due to its base stocks.

I would feel confident using either, so if one is cheaper for you, go with that one. I use Mobil 1 0w-40 and probably won't change only because I don't really believing in changing the type of oils all the time.

I think some of us have a gut instinct on which one might be better, but in truth, it would all be speculation.

Last edited:
I think M1 is great product.
However, as I think everyone here knows, I just cannot forgive its rough cold start.
So, I have like 1K on M1 0W40, and it is out of my car. Probably I will try RL 5W30 Euro, just for the sake of trying, or might use M1 ESP that I have stocked for my wife's Tig that is still under warranty.

I'd say that for 99% of people, they're comparable. M1 carries a few more specs such as the GT-R one, and is FF in the AMG vehicles, for example...but I don't think that means it's significantly better.

My advice: buy it, use it, get it analyzed and see how it works in your particular situation.

Please guys. I'm asking for opinions here. At 30 a jug I'm really liking the Castrol. I wish I could find m1 0w-40 for 30 bucks. I'd buy a flat.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
0w40 Castrol Made in Germany ? Can anyone confirm ?

A few people have reported seeing it on the shelves, yes. Not really sure why the country of manufacture matters though.

Originally Posted By: dparm

A few people have reported seeing it on the shelves, yes. Not really sure why the country of manufacture matters though.

It does not, but I would like to buy German and Belgium and shipp it to Blackstone to see if its same formula.

If anyone have an idea where they seen German version please let me know

Last edited:

It does not, but I would like to buy German and Belgium and shipp it to Blackstone to see if its same formula.

If anyone have an idea where they seen German version please let me know

From what I remember, it's sporadic. Best thing to do is just stop in at the local auto parts stores and check. My local AAP had the Belgian stuff, and that's what I had analyzed:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3029538

I'd say that for 99% of people, they're comparable.

Agreed.

Buy the one that costs less and/or is more readily available. Based on the specs they meet, there will not be any noticeable performance differences between them.

Agree with QP. If it meets spec then go with price. Then spend more only if you're not happy with it.

I only tried PU 5w40 when rebates made it cheaper than M1 0w40.

I do prefer it to M1 0w40 but at regular prices it's 50% more expensive. Plenty of euro cars survive on M1 0w40 or Castrol euro oils so there's no rational reason to spend more.

Out of curiosity how is RP 0w40? Is that considered one of their "euro" oils? Just curious since we are talking 0w40's.

Jeff

If either of these oils is originally destined for the European market then you can bet they have formulated with long oci in mind as longer oci are common over here.

Have never used 0W40 Castrol as it is not easy to find for some reason. 5w40 is much more available.

But with the fact i can get Mobil 1 0w40 for under £30 means Castrol starts to look expensive.

so does anyone know the specs on this Castrol 0w40? HTHS? TBN? NOACK? I would be curious about in particular.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
so does anyone know the specs on this Castrol 0w40? HTHS? TBN? NOACK? I would be curious about in particular.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...VOA#Post3009272

Thanks QP
thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Out of curiosity how is RP 0w40? Is that considered one of their "euro" oils? Just curious since we are talking 0w40's.

There's nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Pricing of it up here isn't too bad, either, at least at my cost. There should be a VOA of it here courtesy of Bob Fout. There's no guarantee the formula is the same, but there was also no need to change it since it was SM at the time and still is. It doesn't claim any European specifications other than ACEA A3/B4.

With what QP just posted, from the link, seems M1 has the edge in my book. Has a higher TBN, has a better VI, and better NOACK as well.

Again, Hard to beat the M1 and especially for the price geeze.

Any one have info on the Royal Purple 0w40 for Comparison? Im curious about it.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back