Being around people drinking alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your clarification doesn't change my assessment, Duffy. What's changed in the time you quit that allows you to believe that you can go from being an alcoholic then to a social drinker now? All the research suggests that's not possible.

People don't wake up and decide to become an alcoholic. It happens in the way you describe, and they wake up (or as often, someone wakes them up) and observes they're addicts. Your response to quit was correct, especially if there's a family history. Personally, I think you're kidding yourself if you think you drink just b/c you like the taste of beer or the associations with other activities, like camping in Canada. And that somehow it'll be different this time, that you can control it. I bet you said that before, too.

Is it worth the risk? Your initial question...About your response to other intoxicated people..gives you the answer. Don't be so sure you won't become him again.

Quote:
What's changed in the time you quit that allows you to believe that you can go from being an alcoholic then to a social drinker now? All the research suggests that's not possible.

Nothing more than the desire to not want to live like that again.

Originally Posted By: Kira
All the "textures" seem to be represented in this thread.

As we age we set our own "trajectories" for having a good time.

Gone are the days when "everyone" zapped to a bar at the same time and got lit up at the same pace and had a good time doing it.

I'm not a kid anymore. I drink, I party heartily on occasion.

On the first part- my parents used to own/run a bar in town and you knew exactly what time it was, because all the parts/service and sales guys from a local dealership would pile through the door and saddle up to the bar just after 5:00... every day.

The second part of your quote- I'm like that too. On rare occasions I'll drink enough to wake up with a hangover- like once every 2-3 years, but I do enjoy drinking. I like coming home and having one or two (mixed drinks) and enjoying the feeling of my body relaxing. Much more than that and I don't sleep as well, so 2-3 is the limit. Sometimes I won't have anything and sometimes I'll make one and drink a bit, then pour it out as it just didn't taste good. And sometimes I'll go several weeks without a drink.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
It's only fun to be around drunks when you're drunk yourself. To everyone else, the intoxicated ones become more and more obnoxious as their inhibitions and self control decrease.

I believe it depends on who the drinker is to begin with. I've found the loud mouth [censored] drunks are either load mouth [censored] in life or closet [censored]. The happy go lucky drunks are that way to begin with. Me? always quiet and reserved. I'll joke and laugh when the time calls for it, but am just as happy to sit back and take it all in (drinking or not).

Duffyjr- like most others here, I don't think you're a hypocrite. It's good you recognized what you were doing wasn't healthy and are now choosing to still imbibe and enjoy more reasonably.

I do find it strange (and disconcerting) that most in this country view alcohol as a 'necessary nutrient' for life.
31.gif

This is especially true in my current state of residence, as well as many others.

The prevailing attitude/thought process seems to be that; you are either in recovery from alcoholism, or are just strange, or some sort of an anti-social pariah if you just choose not to, or do not like/want to drink alcohol.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Noey
And exactly how did "Desire" fit into your previous lifestyle?

Not sure I can answer that one but I have to ask, are you in the behavioral science field?

Maybe to help me understand why you don't think I could just quit with out a life changing experience you could tell me how you deal and have dealt with alcohol.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Originally Posted By: Noey
And exactly how did "Desire" fit into your previous lifestyle?

Not sure I can answer that one but I have to ask, are you in the behavioral science field?

Maybe to help me understand why you don't think I could just quit with out a life changing experience you could tell me how you deal and have dealt with alcohol.

Duffy, the issue isn't my qualifications of experience, it's your self control, past and present. You can dismiss what I have to offer, or you can see it as the gift horse it actually is.

I'll repeat my question to you as I think it's relevant: What's changed for you now that you believe you can control something that in the past you couldn't? That you don't want to be that person again doesn't cut it b/c you probably didn't make a conscious choice to become "That person" the first time.

What's changed for you in those 6 years that makes you believe that you now have an ability to control yourself with alcohol you once didn't?

It would be interesting to hear from the other half of the world, by that I mean the people that do go to bars and other gatherings where people do get good and stinking drunk and act the part.

Seems like just about all the posters so far are those that never drank much, or those who used to but no longer drink much.

seajay, I use to get rip roaring drunk and get kicked out of bars all the time for fighting and unruly behavior. I changed to drinking at home. I'm currently a few weeks sober and have been dabbling in AA.

It's kind of a trap in the bars. Pretty bartender keeps asking, want another? sure. Want another? sure. on and on...etc... Gets hard to say no after one or more. Fun atmosphere then you feel like [censored] the next day.

I stop at the store and never buy a six pack. Buy one or two beers at a time then done. Avoid the traps. Or I'll have a glass of wine at mom and dad's. Keep it to one glass. It gets easier with discipline.

Nope, I get the 16 ouncers. Either one or two of them. Most recently an IPA at the BP for $1.55 plus tax. Not bad compared to what you pay at a bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back