Before and After Pics of my 93 Toyota 22RE AUTO RX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, carfax will tell you how many owners, serious wrecks reported to insurance, recalls, odometer fraud...but major maintenance isn't in it's scope.

Update**** I am at about 750 miles into the Auto Rx phase and that oil is looking nice and black! I think I am going to be very pleased with the results of Auto RX!

i am about 850 miles into the first cleaning phase. i checked the oil today. black as night. but.... i did not have to add any oil. i was going through a quart to every 500-600 miles. it seems to have stopped the oil burning already. cool.

Did your fuel economy improve with the correct thermostat installation? Hope you thought about a coolant flush.
Aftermarket water pump, incorrect t-stat. Hmmmmm I suspect that your cherryiot (intentional misspelling) has overheated.

BOAZ: NICE truck. I had a 94 about just like it. If you don't mind me askin, what did you give for it?

On my 1994, my TIMING CHAIN broke with 66,621 miles. The actual CHAIN broke, not the guides. One second was going 75mph, next...silence and a bunch of lights on the dash. If you have the manual for the truck, it'll say 60k for timing chain replacement, at least mine did. Messed up a bunch of valves. Bad thing was, only had the truck for 3 weeks. Bought it from a Toyota dealer mechanic. At least he did help me with the repair. This was also the 22re.

Stress..
Yes the the warmer T stat improved the mileage. I am now getting around 18MPG now. The coolant is pretty fresh. I think it will get a flush this spring.

What makes you think it was overheated?

UPDATE:

Started the Rinse Phase today. 4.5 Quarts of SuperTech 10W-30 and a SuperTech 3600 E core filter.

Oil was black as coal as it drained out of the crankcase.

I can't wait to pop the valve cover off in 2000 miles! I will be sure to post up pics when I do!

I gave my brother 2 bottles of auto-rx for his birthday in November. He has a 94 Toyota pickup with the 22RE and 160k miles. Most of which his dad ran Mobil1 in it.

He came up to Iowa from GA in Jan (we do our christmas in Jan to make it easier). Last year we adjusted his valves while he was up here. So I got a chance to see under his valve covers. A really nice golden brown color.

Anyways, back to the original story. He ran about a 2200 mile cleaning phase (because of the trip 1100 mile trip from GA to IA). Around Indiana his mileage improved from mid 21 mpg to 25. We started the rinse phase while in Iowa. He managed to stay at 25 mpg or above the whole way back to GA and even hit 26 mpg once.

So I hope you're tracking your gas mileage too and not just the cosmetic changes in the valve train. Because his head was clean and he managed to pick up 4 mpg.

It's sad because he would call me everytime he filled up on the way home to tell me the mileage for that tank. LOL. Which is good because 2 years when his dad gave him that truck it got 17 to 18 mpg highway.

darkdan,
I keep very detailed fuel mileage records, I record the milage,brand of gas, fuel additives used and a quick note about how the truck was driven during that tank ie towing, highway miles, leadfoot etc. When I first bought the truck it was getting about 14-15 mpg. I changed the timing back to stock and put in the stock thermostat (it had a 180*thermo) I am now getting a consistant 17-18 mpg. I hope that improves some more, on friday I changed out all of the gear lube that was in the truck. It now has Amsoil 75W90 Gear lube in the transfer, trans, front and rear diffs. I hope that might free up .5 to 1 mpg. Keep in mind I have really heavy 31x10.50 Firestone Destination Mud Terrains on Eagle alloy wheels. It also has a polymer tool box full of stuff and a pretty heafty roll bar with lights on it. So I think if the truck is getting 18-19 MPG city that is as good as its going to get. But only time and more Auto Rx will tell.

Boaz.

He has stock sized tires and a single cab.

Also, his ran like crap with the stock TStat and once he changed to 180 it pinged a lot less and his mileage went up a bit.

Between new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, and tstat is what brought his from 18 to 21. It's also an automatic.

But he also lives in Atlanta, GA so the climate is a little different most of the year when compared to Baltimore. So a cooler Tstat might be a good idea for him.

I also did the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, reset timing , 195* thermostat, using FP-60 or chevron techron to get the 18 MPG City.
I usually run 93 octane. Sometimes I use 87 but if its a lower grade gas it will ping some on hills and long grades. Usually shell and sunoco 87 runs great. Its the cheapo 87 octane I buy on base that makes her ping like crazy. I might experiment back and forth with the 180* and 190* thermostats to see if MPG increses or decreases. For now I just want to squeeze as much mpg out of this truck in its current form.
Hopefully the MPG will improve with the rinse phase. *fingers crossed*!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back