Beater: Should I buy this car?

2001-2004 Toyota Avalon XLE wouldn't be a bad beater either. Comfy, not too thirsty on fuel, and I saw some really good examples under $3500, with less than 180k miles. Just check the oil cap for sludge, or preferably absence of it.

Good Corolla bones, slightly smaller than a Matrix/Vibe, but I think you can find a better deal.

For example: I just got this 2009 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix twin) for $2900. One owner, 165k miles, clean title.
View attachment 205973

At the same time had a deal secured for this Scion Xa, basically a 4dr Yaris. 200k, clean title, $2500, 5MT. Lack of cruise control was the deal breaker here, as I now got a lengthy commute. But cosmetically it was better than the Vibe, both interior and exterior. Roof/hood were repainted gloss black, looked really nice in person. Not a rattlecan backyard special.
View attachment 205969
Anyways, I'd look some more.
Try 1st/2nd gen Prius, or Civic Hybrid (these also came manual).
I don’t know what year that xA was but installing an aftermarket cruise control on my 2007 manual Corolla was almost plug and play. Remove the airbag, cut a hole in the plastic shroud for the stalk, attach and plug in, reinstall the airbag. Then install the clutch position switch. This was the only difficult part of the job because it required some real contortions to get my head under there to see.

FWIW I would drive that xD every day and be happy with it. I’ll take reliability over looks any day.

That thing is what parents buy for a 16 year olds first car with a C minus grade point average. An unmarried adult would be embarrassed to be seen in it. There are beaters and there are nasty beaters. This is the latter.
Except this is Miami, where such a vehicle will not attract much attention, and who cares if it will accumulate more body damage. Miami being Miami, its certain to happen.

If you're on Craigslist, maybe these cheap cars look good,

I literally checked up on that exact Ford Ranger you linked. It was a rolling rat’s nest. The rear bumper was gone, having fallen off from rust. This truck was Swiss cheese rust mobile. And the guy didn’t even put the correct miles on it. It had 240k miles, NOT 140k. Phew. I wouldnt take that for $1400. No wonder the price was so low.

A major plot twist: an absolute favorite car of mine just showed up on Craigslist.

I had this EXACT car 5 years ago but it was destroyed in a wreck by an ignoramus driver (NOT my fault). Black Solara, 1MZ-FE, manual 5 speed. I adored that car. Great sound, great looks, great all around car. It’s higher miles 218k, but if the engine’s been serviced, this v6 engines are bullet proof. I’ll gladly take this over the xD.

IMG_1568.jpeg

A major plot twist: an absolute favorite car of mine just showed up on Craigslist.

I had this EXACT car 5 years ago but it was destroyed in a wreck by an ignoramus driver (NOT my fault). Black Solara, 1MZ-FE, manual 5 speed. I adored that car. Great sound, great looks, great all around car. It’s higher miles 218k, but if the engine’s been serviced, this v6 engines are bullet proof. I’ll gladly take this over the xD.

View attachment 206066
Can't go wrong with a 5spd toyota unless it's a late 90's corolla full of sludge :LOL:.

I’m changing jobs, which will require me to commute, (old job didn’t). So I’m looking for a cheap commuter car.

2010 Scion xD 167,000 miles

I test drove it. Here’s what I found.

Positives: 1 owner car. Carfax shows oil changes done roughly every 7-8k miles.
Dealer services (pro or con?)
No major issues: cv axles good. No oil leaks.
A/C blows very good.
Suspension tight. Not bouncy.

Cons:
Steering wheel pulse when braking.
Wheel bearing roaring at speed.
Rear taillight has damage. Looks like a low impact crash. BUT the car is a clean title. Looks very low impact fender bender.

So the drivetrain checks out. Shifts perfectly. A few mechanical issues. No engine mount issues. Smooth as butter.

Out the door price: $3100. What do you guys say? Any issues I should know about on the xD?

Seems like a good deal to me. I plan to fix the issues myself diy.

View attachment 205964

View attachment 205965

View attachment 205966
167k miles are a little high. Also the 7-8k OCI probably done with bulk oil could mean cylinder walls could have a grove from a stuck oil control ring. It might be one of those "burn 2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles" Toyotas.

Last edited:

Hrm. If it wasn't black... I must be getting older, a 2 door car is starting to look interesting.

Darn mid life crisis... but yeah, V6/5MT would be way more fun than I4/4AT!

Good Corolla bones, slightly smaller than a Matrix/Vibe, but I think you can find a better deal.

For example: I just got this 2009 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix twin) for $2900. One owner, 165k miles, clean title.
View attachment 205973

At the same time had a deal secured for this Scion Xa, basically a 4dr Yaris. 200k, clean title, $2500, 5MT. Lack of cruise control was the deal breaker here, as I now got a lengthy commute. But cosmetically it was better than the Vibe, both interior and exterior. Roof/hood were repainted gloss black, looked really nice in person. Not a rattlecan backyard special.
View attachment 205969
Anyways, I'd look some more.
Try 1st/2nd gen Prius, or Civic Hybrid (these also came manual).
You stole that Vibe at $2900 in today's prices that is a $5k USD vehicle all day long unless something is wrong we can't see.

You stole that Vibe at $2900 in today's prices that is a $5k USD vehicle all day long unless something is wrong we can't see.
Yes I feel the same way. I don’t think I will be able to match that kind of deal.

Reactions: GON
Yes I feel the same way. I don’t think I will be able to match that kind of deal.
I liked the car you posted primarily as it was a one owner, and has a maintenance history. For a beater, the body stuff, unless structural or impedes function, not a issue.

Back