Beastly Mobil 1 Delvac 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a great gasoline + diesel engine CK-4 SN oil, for mixed fleets. Probably over-engineered like Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle.
For anybody needing an HTHS 3.2 oil (similar but slightly thicker than dexos1 levels), there is the Delvac 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 5w-30 FA-4 SN, for when CK-4 is too thick.

I was looking at the specs for 5w-40...says Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150ºC 1x10(6) sec(-1), mPa.s, ASTM D4683 3.8 cP .

Volvo VDS-4.5(and I'd guess Mack EOS-4.5 and Renault RLD-4 too) mandate >= 3.9cP HTHS visc. after shear by ASTM D7109 (90 cycles) per ASTM D 4683 or CEC L-36-A-97 for xw-40 viscosities. Could this be a typo by Mobil ?

The other viscosities (D1 0w-40 and 5w-30) are "in spec" in this regard...

Originally Posted by edyvw
Delvac always had stout numbers. I think I will use Delvac 75W90 in Sienna's transfer case and rear diff.

edyvw: I buy Delvac 1 gear lube at Summit Racing …
last time I had to spend $100 for free shipping but needed some spark plugs anyway

It has an HTHS of 4.1cP
crazy2.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 4WD
Delvac always had stout numbers. I think I will use Delvac 75W90 in Sienna's transfer case and rear diff.

last time I had to spend $100 for free shipping but needed some spark plugs anyway

Yeah, I saw that it is cheapest there.
I can always find something to buy to pass $100.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Decent testimony here …

http://www.brrperformance.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2537

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by 4WD

Decent testimony here …

http://www.brrperformance.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2537

Thanx for posting.
I saw that Porsche drivers are going after this lube. I highly doubt my SIenna is demanding as GT3, but why not?

Reactions: a5m
MSDS is interesting:

[Linked Image]

So it's 20-30% PAO, 1-5% Group III, 5-10% Group I or II, what's the rest of the base oil blend??!!!! With a -48C pour point, I'm extremely curious. Wonder if it is POE?

It has a very high density of 0.879, which makes me think it has quite a bit of ester and/or alkylated naphthalene. 0.84 or 0.85 something is typical of most 0W-40 oils. Many esters and AN's have densities over 0.9.

Originally Posted by JAG
It has a very high density of 0.879, which makes me think it has quite a bit of ester and/or alkylated naphthalene. 0.84 or 0.85 something is typical of most 0W-40 oils. Many esters and AN's have densities over 0.9.

AND, they don't appear on an MSDS AFAIK, which makes some sense of the above.

Thinking they'll use a bit of EHC GII+ as low man on that totem pole …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Thinking they'll use a bit of EHC GII+ as low man on that totem pole …

Likely, which I assume may be the last line of the MSDS.

This is the kind of cocktail I think of when generalizations get thrown around regarding base oils …

The Delvac Synthetic gear oil has been renamed into the Delvac 1 lineup …
I have used it in three G80 lockers now …

I think the solvent dewaxed heavy paraffinic distillate, which is Group I, is carrier oil from the additive package. https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/472/base-oil-industry
Oils considered to be full synthetic can use Group I for this purpose since it's not considered to be used as a base oil. I do not think Group II is used as additive carrier oil due to lower additive solubility and higher cost, relative to Group I. Using Group II as a base oil in a full synthetic is a big no-no, from a pseudo-legal standpoint.

Originally Posted by JAG
I think the solvent dewaxed heavy paraffinic distillate, which is Group I, is carrier oil from the additive package. https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/472/base-oil-industry
Oils considered to be full synthetic can use Group I for this purpose since it's not considered to be used as a base oil. I do not think Group II is used as additive carrier oil due to lower additive solubility and higher cost, relative to Group I. Using Group II as a base oil in a full synthetic is a big no-no, from a pseudo-legal standpoint.

For the bottom CAS #, from Shell, I find:
Originally Posted by Shell

Shell Process Oils linked to CAS number 64742-65-0:
-HVI 55
-HVI 60
-HVI 65
-HVI 105
-HVI 160
-HVI 170
-Catenex S 532
-Catenex S 541
-Catenex S 925
-Catenex S 932
-Catenex S 946

Which, when researched, yielded:
Originally Posted by Shell
Shell Catenex Oils S are paraffinic process oils manufactured via the solvent extraction process. They are general purpose process oils used as extender or carrier fluids

So I think you are bang-on the money.

The 2nd from the bottom is as I noted, Group III, which appears to be in very low volume in this product.

Originally Posted by JAG

I've been told in another thread that my 20 years of observations on density are incorrect....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back