Battery powered lawnmower

Of course the issue is how the ambient temperature affects battery life/capacity.
The Makita is 36V, uses two 18V 5.0AH LXT batteries, it came with FOUR batteries and a charger for $399. Like I said before, I have a fairly small yard, and it was able to cut everything and use 2 out of 4 bars on one pair of batteries, the second set unused (will get rotated every use). Charger and batteries stay inside, and are monitored when they are charging, and I’m considering a heavy sealed metal box to keep them and my Milwaukee ones in, in case of battery fire. Hopefully strong enough to contain a problem.

I still use a 2-cycle Lawn-boy. I think this battery powered ideology is poorly thought out and we're all going to regret the foolishness of our leaders in the generations that follow.

They can have my gasoline powered (and oil lubricated) lawn mower when they can pry it from my cold, dead hands. :)
Same

What I would about a battery mower is if you had a yard and can barley get it mowed on a set of batteries when the mower is new. After you've charged the batteries a dozen times, they may no longer have the capacity to allow mowing your yard on a single charge.

Laptop and cellphone batteries degrade so you can expect mower batteries to of the same.

I nearly pulled the trigger on a battery mower last spring, then realized how many batteries I've replaced for the blower. So I concluded that I'll convert to a battery mower when my Troy-Bilt 6.25 B&S kicks the bucket, which probably won't be until long after I'm dead considering the maintenance it's received.

I think the thick Bahia grass in my yard would laugh at a battery powered mower. My 4.5 HP gas mower struggles when it's over a few inches high (yes, the blade is sharp). Maybe one day...

What I would about a battery mower is if you had a yard and can barley get it mowed on a set of batteries when the mower is new. After you've charged the batteries a dozen times, they may no longer have the capacity to allow mowing your yard on a single charge.

Laptop and cellphone batteries degrade so you can expect mower batteries to of the same.
My DeWalt 20v batteries have been going on for years. I agree that they may go down over time, but my oldest batteries are from 2011 and are working fine. The mower I just bought came with 2 10ah batteries. I cut the lawn and the bars were still showing full at three. I should probably see how many cuts I can get before needing to recharge them.

Your not giving battery powered tools a chance then how will you know? You won't 😅 I've posted so many times about my Greenworks 40v mower lasting 9 years but it seems so many people are so stuck on the idea that gas is the only way,sorry but battery tools have been proving themselves for years already. I've still got the original batteries and the charger!

Reactions: JC1
Someone needs to sell special back yard battery storage stoves. There is a reason airlines don't ship them now. The high cost and fires shy me away.

Your not giving battery powered tools a chance then how will you know? You won't 😅 I've posted so many times about my Greenworks 40v mower lasting 9 years but it seems so many people are so stuck on the idea that gas is the only way,sorry but battery tools have been proving themselves for years already. I've still got the original batteries and the charger!

You must have a tiny lawn.

Nothing wrong with battery powered equipment and I feel more people would be better served by the technology. My first house, now my sisters house, takes a solid 50 minutes using the mower alone. In the fall that house has to deal with 2 maple trees dropping leaf's which adds time if you wanna mulch them.

So even if she could initially mow her lawn on one charge, the fact is that all batteries lose capacity and the batteries would get to the point of dying before completing the mow.

You must have a tiny lawn.

Nothing wrong with battery powered equipment and I feel more people would be better served by the technology. My first house, now my sisters house, takes a solid 50 minutes using the mower alone. In the fall that house has to deal with 2 maple trees dropping leaf's which adds time if you wanna mulch them.

So even if she could initially mow her lawn on one charge, the fact is that all batteries lose capacity and the batteries would get to the point of dying before completing the mow.
No it's not tiny 🤣

Considering I have a riding mower and had to push mow it before I bought the rider.

My Troy bilt Honda 160 is still kickin for 14 years. What are your thoughts on battery powered units? For what it’s worth it takes a half a tank to mow front and back. I maybe looking into the Sthil mower. Of course when the Honda gives up, lol.
Half tank sounds like a lot of run time. If thick grass or mulching duty, battery may not have the oomph.

The Makita is 36V, uses two 18V 5.0AH LXT batteries, it came with FOUR batteries and a charger for $399. Like I said before, I have a fairly small yard, and it was able to cut everything and use 2 out of 4 bars on one pair of batteries, the second set unused (will get rotated every use). Charger and batteries stay inside, and are monitored when they are charging, and I’m considering a heavy sealed metal box to keep them and my Milwaukee ones in, in case of battery fire. Hopefully strong enough to contain a problem.

My batteries for my weed whacker get charged for about four hours after use and then maybe an hour before use.
Also a timer for the charger(s) would help your concern for overheating the batteries. Would think four hours should
"refill" them.

My 2¢

I think the thick Bahia grass in my yard would laugh at a battery powered mower. My 4.5 HP gas mower struggles when it's over a few inches high (yes, the blade is sharp). Maybe one day...
There are some that would do it but they cost an absolute fortune. I’m thinking the Milwaukee.

Sometimes I feel like a wanna try a battery mower but I can get a good used gas one for under 100 dollars anytime I want and an equivalent battery one would be several hundred dollars more here. Used battery mowers I see for $100 almost always need new batteries.

Two of my friends bought the 40v Ryobi mowers during the Memorial Day sale and like them. I have been using the Ryobi 40v attachment compatable trimmer and 16" chainsaw for several years now. Lawnmower? I still use my Honda HR214 from 1994.

I am not going lean toward one or the other, but I really would not get a mower that is under 72V. Years of bike motors/controllers/batteries just tells me you need V and A to make W.

Batteries going to cost, but that is the game.

The Toro Recycler electric is a pretty nice mower. Basically identical to the gas version with the same self-propel, but electric. If I was to buy one that is what I would get. Another thing to keep in mind is the possibility of expanding your electric tools, and Toro has a pretty large line of tools that use the same batteries (Dewalt also). This makes things easier to keep track of with one charger and type of battery needed for everything, instead of 10 different chargers and batteries for each piece of equipment. Also a brand with a wider choice of tools that take the same battery usually makes the batteries easier to source later on.

I think electric mowers are great if you have a small yard, or like to mow early in the morning. They just don't work for my application, I need the HP of gas.

Back