Getting a new push mower.. honda power vs briggs?

I bought a Troy Bilt TB130 with the Honda GCV160. The only hiccup I had was this past summer it started idling up and down, must have been something in the carb. I put a few ounces of sea foam into the tank and ran it, after 20 min or so it was like a switch was flipped and went back to normal. I've had this mower for over 7 years and that was the only issue I've ever had with it. I wouldn't buy anything else that didn't have a Honda engine in it.

My GCV160 wouldn't even start because the air filter was completely soaked in some sort of heavy oil used in the engine for shipping. Evidently shipped/stored on its side. I cleaned the filter with brake clean and no further problem. Yes, new Hondas smoke when first started.

My GCV160 wouldn't even start because the air filter was completely soaked in some sort of heavy oil used in the engine for shipping. Evidently shipped/stored on its side. I cleaned the filter with brake clean and no further problem. Yes, new Hondas smoke when first started.

Yep, when my new Toro was delivered the box was left on my front step upside down, even though it was clearly marked in several places which side should be up. There was oil all over the air filter.

We all want a powerful engine on a push mower that won't bog down. Regardless of the engine brand what is important is displacement and governed speed. Buy the biggest displacement engine you can afford. Put a tach on it to verify that the rpm is correct. A sharp blade helps too.

We all want a powerful engine on a push mower that won't bog down. Regardless of the engine brand what is important is displacement and governed speed. Buy the biggest displacement engine you can afford. Put a tach on it to verify that the rpm is correct. A sharp blade helps too.
Mowing the grass at a decent height is important as well. I had a customer with a fairly new mower who was complaining about lack of power. Turns out he had the height of cut set at 1", and was basically mowing his grass every 3 weeks when it was tall enough to be considered a hay field.

I have the Honda brand self propelled mower. It never bogs down. I had a toro 190cc that bogged a lot but it was 22” cut instead of the Honda 21”. Ours is 5 years old now and I replaced the spark plug once but it’s been amazing

I have the Honda brand self propelled mower. It never bogs down. I had a toro 190cc that bogged a lot but it was 22” cut instead of the Honda 21”. Ours is 5 years old now and I replaced the spark plug once but it’s been amazing
I get a lot of those Toro Recyclers (not super recyclers) with the 190cc Briggs flathead in through my shop and they bog down. Most of the time it is due to the engines not being set at the proper RPM (I set them around 3000 RPM). A lot of them come through running barely above idle. Push it into thick grass and it immediately stalls, not sure why so many of them left the factory that way. Seems to be pretty common on any mower with a Briggs flathead engine.

I get a lot of those Toro Recyclers (not super recyclers) with the 190cc Briggs flathead in through my shop and they bog down. Most of the time it is due to the engines not being set at the proper RPM (I set them around 3000 RPM). A lot of them come through running barely above idle. Push it into thick grass and it immediately stalls, not sure why so many of them left the factory that way. Seems to be pretty common on any mower with a Briggs flathead engine.
Its a blade tip speed safety issue. Feds say a certain length blade can only spin a certain rpm. Problem is, its usually lower than the mower engines power range.

Its a blade tip speed safety issue. Feds say a certain length blade can only spin a certain rpm. Problem is, its usually lower than the mower engines power range.
Yeah that's definitely what it is, but out of all the 22" and 21" mowers I service, the Briggs flatheads (especially from big box stores) seem to be running the slowest, as in under the recommended speed. Not sure why, it's just what I've noticed. My thought initially was the governor springs weakened/stretched over time, but I've found it to be the case on a few brand new mowers.

Yeah that's definitely what it is, but out of all the 22" and 21" mowers I service, the Briggs flatheads (especially from big box stores) seem to be running the slowest, as in under the recommended speed. Not sure why, it's just what I've noticed. My thought initially was the governor springs weakened/stretched over time, but I've found it to be the case on a few brand new mowers.
back in the 70's and 80', these ran faster. They've slowed all the engines down over the years.

back in the 70's and 80', these ran faster. They've slowed all the engines down over the years.
I forget exactly what the spec is supposed to be, maybe 2150-2250 RPM for a 21" mower? I can't remember but have it in a maintenance book somewhere. My point was some of the ones I come across from customers are way under even the government spec, running at 1750 or idle speed. They push it into some moderate grass and it will stall out right away. I think it has more to do with poor quality control, although I'll usually set them around 3000 RPM for a better cut quality and more power. (y)

No doubt QC has alot to do with it. I would assume they just make them and maybe take a couple of the line and actually start them. So "this setting usually works" and they just leave it there. I think back in the old days they would start and adjust each one. Now its "Well, the needle should be at this position based on the last 100 we made" I might be wrong, but sure seems that way.

I never buy self-propelled mowers, the exercise is part of staying healthy. To stay in shape I would load my backpack up and mow quickly to and get even better workout.

I never figured out why people would pay to go to the gym, then buy a self-propelled mower.

I forget exactly what the spec is supposed to be, maybe 2150-2250 RPM for a 21" mower? I can't remember but have it in a maintenance book somewhere. My point was some of the ones I come across from customers are way under even the government spec, running at 1750 or idle speed. They push it into some moderate grass and it will stall out right away. I think it has more to do with poor quality control, although I'll usually set them around 3000 RPM for a better cut quality and more power. (y)
For safety, Federal Law requires that the mower manufacturers set their engine RPMs so that the blade tip speed does not exceed 19000 fpm. For a 21" mower, the maximum engine RPMs would be 3450. For a 22" mower, the maximum engine RPMs would be 3295. I used to set them at 3400 and 3250 when they came in for a tune-up. The only mowers that I set to the 3600 RPM maximum engine speed were the 18" to 20" mowers. Many of my customers would comment about how much better their mower ran and cut after I did this. I also adjusted all of the new mowers I sold to these RPMs.

Last edited:
I never buy self-propelled mowers, the exercise is part of staying healthy. To stay in shape I would load my backpack up and mow quickly to and get even better workout.

I never figured out why people would pay to go to the gym, then buy a self-propelled mower.
You are still walking behind a self propelled mower, and it's more exercise than the rider most people use.

You are still walking behind a self propelled mower, and it's more exercise than the rider most people use.

If walking is all you can do, great, pushing adds effort, which is good for about 95% of the population.

I didn't get a riding mower until I was mowing 2.5 acres of grass. When I had 1 acre of grass I used a push mower.

I've downsized, so it's back to a push mower.

At 87 my mom was still mowing her yard with a push mower, but had switched to an electric model.

I'd be looking at the 160 engine specifically
*If possible - buy the 190 as it is superior to the 160 (unless you are cutting thin Fescue) . Bermuda grass down South would choke out and stall the 160 size Honda engine .

If you want some more exercise feel free to come over and push my mower around under the blazing hot sun. Only takes a couple three hours. You could get two work outs in a week in the spring when it's raining biblical proportions.

My last place tool 5 hours on a riding mower. When it takes more than one full tank to mow you know it's bad.

It's 90-100F here frequently, I push mow no matter what the temperature is. But it's significantly smaller now, and that's for a reason.

I don't know about the new ohv Briggs. I own one but not a lot of time on it do far. But the old flat heads could sure take a beating. I cut down a " wildflower patch" over the course of week. I was sure the curb find Craftsman would die but it powered right through like a champion.
IMG_20171002_165657167~2.jpg

Back