Getting a new push mower.. honda power vs briggs?

The only bias I have are the brand engines. Such as the powermore, cub cadet, toro, craftsman etc... guessing all of those are chinese knockoffs

My Toro is self propelled and 1/2 my yard is sloped. It's about a 1/5 acre of mowing. I'll certainly never go back.
smile.gif

I second the Harbor Freight option. The PTO is long enough for self-propelled models, so you may have to cut it down a bit if your mower isn't equipped with that. I have one of these, and at 173cc it's a beast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sh40674
Stupid question but I've never owned a self propelled.. do you have to use the self propel or does it push freely?

What's the weight difference between self propelled and non?

My Toro senses a slight push on the bar and starts rolling. It will go slightly faster with a harder push. Basically there is a slip belt riding in groved pullies and has a single speed gear box to translate the rotation to an axle shaft which can be front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive in some cases. It weighs more but the power makes it pretty much effortless. You can pull it backwards but that does take more effort than a non self propelled, so those who do a lot of push and pull like a non self propelled better for that. For instance, many folks with riding mowers like a non self-propelled mower to do touch up work. Some people complain the mower is trying to work against them while trying to pull backwards but they need to adjust the cable on it. After many years the belt will require replacing which is cheap and easy.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Make sure you don't develop a bias on American vs "Foreign". The Honda engines are built in the USA.

So is Briggs & Stratton and the money doesn't all go back to Japan.Briggs & Stratton

Briggs and Stratton is a publicly traded company (BGG on the Nasdaq). It is widely held, mostly by investment funds, including international ones. At times like this most of these companies are not making a lot of net profit, so instead of worrying about bags of money leaving the country, think about American jobs.

Last edited:
I second the Honda, from personal experience over many years of lawn care.

The 190 is a beast, but the 160 is no slouch either. Typical Honda reliability is a plus too.

You can also buy Honda ADR shares in US markets.

Look for symbol HMC

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/HMC?p=HMC&.tsrc=fin-srch

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Make sure you don't develop a bias on American vs "Foreign". The Honda engines are built in the USA.

So is Briggs & Stratton and the money doesn't all go back to Japan.Briggs & Stratton

Briggs and Stratton is a publicly traded company (BGG on the Nasdaq). It is widely held, mostly by investment funds, including international ones. At times like this most of these companies are not making a lot of net profit, so instead of worrying about bags of money leaving the country, think about American jobs.

I would get a Toro, more money but a much higher quality than almost anything else. Troybuilt is MTD (avoid). I would look for more than just who built the engine. Look at the rest of the mower first, then the engine. Many Craftsman are MTD also.

Originally Posted by Donald
I would get a Toro, more money but a much higher quality than almost anything else. Troybuilt is MTD (avoid). I would look for more than just who built the engine. Look at the rest of the mower first, then the engine. Many Craftsman are MTD also.

I couldn't agree more. I have had far more frustration with cheap floppy wheels, poorly designed bags and attachment points, and rickety handle assemblies on lawnmowers than I have with their engines.

My luck has been hit and miss with Briggs. To the point where I'd avoid one if at all possible. I had bought a JD Z255 at Lowes. Ran fine for a few years then started cutting out when ran for around 20 minutes. I replaced the carburetor (Briggs OEM brand), fuel lines, magnetos/coils, adjusted valves, fuel pump, plugs,filters, fuel cap and more. Still would cut out when warm. Wound up giving it away.

Ditto the comment on buy a good brand of mower first. MTD is low on the list of being a good brand. Great, you've got a good motor but everything else fails around it.

My current Toro is over 10 years old, and still feels solid as a rock. It has a Briggs on it, and it always starts on the first or second pull. I've done nothing but the regular oil changes, spark plugs and air filters over the years.

Mulches like a champ -(Note it is a super recycler - not a home depot special...).

I often get mowers with "bogging down" issues through my shop, from all brands. The issue is usually a combination of the grass being too high/thick/wet when mowed, and the engine speed being way too low. I know mower manufacturers set the max RPM at a lower speed for blade safety regulations, but they are never consistent. I've seen almost brand new mowers come through that are basically idling. It's no wonder they bog down. Using a tachometer, I adjust the governor spring so the engines run between 3000-3200 RPM, and that always fixes the issue for the customer, no matter what engine brand or mower brand it is.

I have a Toro Super Recycler with a Honda GCV160. The RPM is set at 3150, and it goes through thick grass just fine.

My Honda powered LawnBoy is over 10 years old and runs like new.
The dealer, a down to earth type, told me to move the throttle return spring to
the next notch-speeding up the engine. Runs fantastic that way and no bog.

My 2¢

honda powered honda rear drive baggers are the best for the money, even bag wet grass with their great rear door design, close the door + mulch as they all have dual blades standard!!

Well my local HD had a Honda powered troy bilt tb160 marked down to 229 from 279.. was a customer return.. claimed he didnt want it and never mowed with it (though I did find a slight grass stain). Manager said he'd normally return them but it was perfect. Get the full warranty and return guarantee plus they matched menards 11 percent so I'll have that coming back. Tested it out on some tall grass across the street owned by the city and everything ran great. Though I did have a little smoke on the first few startups (I started it, shut it down, started it, ran for 10 seconds, shut down) to test out. Hasn't had that since. Went out to the garage and started it cold tonight and no smoke.

Common for new engines to have a little bit of smoke on the first startup? Assuming that leftover assembly and storage fluids

Originally Posted by sh40674
Well my local HD had a Honda powered troy bilt tb160 marked down to 229 from 279.. was a customer return.. claimed he didnt want it and never mowed with it (though I did find a slight grass stain). Manager said he'd normally return them but it was perfect. Get the full warranty and return guarantee plus they matched menards 11 percent so I'll have that coming back. Tested it out on some tall grass across the street owned by the city and everything ran great. Though I did have a little smoke on the first few startups (I started it, shut it down, started it, ran for 10 seconds, shut down) to test out. Hasn't had that since. Went out to the garage and started it cold tonight and no smoke.

Common for new engines to have a little bit of smoke on the first startup? Assuming that leftover assembly and storage fluids

It probably has more to do with the way the mower was transported or stored. My mower smoked a bit brand new for a few minutes, but that's because FedEx transported the box sideways, allowing whatever oil was in the engine (they are shipped mostly empty) to get into the muffler.
33.gif

I wouldn't worry about it.

Back