Getting a new push mower.. honda power vs briggs?

I have had a Honda OHC engine in my mower for 13 years and it has never faltered. The steel deck is rusting out though.

So I had a honda powered craftsman over 12 years ago (160 engine) and it was extremely reliable but I had to continuously slow down in thick and taller grass... just seemed to bog down a bit. It was given to me by a cousin... long story short 11 years ago I bought a "master cut" (mtd type) with a 158cc briggs 550 engine. Well this year its blowing smoke and time to get a new one. Honestly this has been the best piece of power equipment I've ever owned. Goes through thick grass at any pace, doesnt bog, chops up every stick I run over, starts first pull after spring etc.. sad to see it go.

I see now most the 550 series are 140cc.. but I can get a good deal on a troy bilt with a 160 Honda engine.

How are the Honda engines now? Do they bog down in the tough stuff? How is the 140cc briggs in comparison? Dont want to spend a lot as we're remodeling our bathroom currently.

Aa for the troy bilt.. I've seen people had issues with the front bumper "rake"... anything I should know about those? I'm a big briggs fan but I'll jump to the Honda if I wont be disappointed in the power when needed. Honest opinions only, please don't make this a Honda vs BS war
I bought a Toro Super Recycler with Honda GCV 160 engine with the aluminum deck. Great mower with a
super engine.

So I had a honda powered craftsman over 12 years ago (160 engine) and it was extremely reliable but I had to continuously slow down in thick and taller grass... just seemed to bog down a bit. It was given to me by a cousin... long story short 11 years ago I bought a "master cut" (mtd type) with a 158cc briggs 550 engine. Well this year its blowing smoke and time to get a new one. Honestly this has been the best piece of power equipment I've ever owned. Goes through thick grass at any pace, doesnt bog, chops up every stick I run over, starts first pull after spring etc.. sad to see it go.

I see now most the 550 series are 140cc.. but I can get a good deal on a troy bilt with a 160 Honda engine.

How are the Honda engines now? Do they bog down in the tough stuff? How is the 140cc briggs in comparison? Dont want to spend a lot as we're remodeling our bathroom currently.

Aa for the troy bilt.. I've seen people had issues with the front bumper "rake"... anything I should know about those? I'm a big briggs fan but I'll jump to the Honda if I wont be disappointed in the power when needed. Honest opinions only, please don't make this a Honda vs BS war
Posted Wednesday, July 22, 2020 11:44 am
WAUWATOSA, Wis. (AP) — Briggs & Stratton Corp., billed as the world’s largest manufacturer of small gas engines, has filed for bankruptcy protection citing challenges due to the coronavirus pandemic, the company announced Monday.

So......Honda

Posted Wednesday, July 22, 2020 11:44 am
WAUWATOSA, Wis. (AP) — Briggs & Stratton Corp., billed as the world’s largest manufacturer of small gas engines, has filed for bankruptcy protection citing challenges due to the coronavirus pandemic, the company announced Monday.

So......Honda
That doesn't mean they are going out of business or stopping engine production. They are resolving themselves of debt. They got in this hole from poor management way before the you-know-who virus and are using it as a scapegoat like a lot of businesses now IMO.

That doesn't mean they are going out of business or stopping engine production. They are resolving themselves of debt. They got in this hole from poor management way before the you-know-who virus and are using it as a scapegoat like a lot of businesses now IMO.
Very true and I am aware of that. However, it doesn't seem like a good sign for long-term success to be having to declare bankruptcy. I buy a mower, I expect it to last 20 years. Will B&S still be around in 20 years if parts are needed? I think Honda will. That's all I'm saying.

Very true and I am aware of that. However, it doesn't seem like a good sign for long-term success to be having to declare bankruptcy. I buy a mower, I expect it to last 20 years. Will B&S still be around in 20 years if parts are needed? I think Honda will. That's all I'm saying.
I wouldn't worry about parts availability. Plenty of the engines around as well as aftermarket manufacturers to produce parts for them. You can still get most parts for the popular Tecumseh engines pretty easily through the aftermarket. Only the obscure parts for low production engines are hard to find.

Back