Battery Charger Testing Results

Unfortunately this paper didn’t show measured/observed voltage and current profiles. It does discuss the potential advantages of intermittent charging, due to less time at voltage, and thus less opportunity for prolonged grid corrosion, etc. it seems like especially for car charging/optimization, many chargers do simply do an intermittent type charge, turning off and watching for a threshold criteria before going on again. This enables “energy efficient” modes due to only having a quiescent lid when the surface charge is coming off.

It would be nice if the charger manufacturers mentioned what technology they are using in their chargers.

Afrer I had a battery gradually go dry from overcharging from an unregulated solar panel that puts out 19.5V open circuit, I made a simple regulator with a 12V 7812 IC with a green LED (2V drop) and a silicon diode 4003 (.6V drop) in series with the ground pin of the IC to raise the maximum regulated voltage to 14.6V. It will put out all the current it can up to that point. That simple circuit on a 100 Ah SLA AGM battery mentioned above ran 14 years without a problem, never had to top off the battery with an external charger.
I agree. And your situation is an example of perfect is the enemy of good enough. Also, it shows the benefit of adding margin into a battery system so that the required use versus the nameplate capacity is sufficiently different that you’ll never tap most of the capacity or get to a point where depletion is an issue.

Your example of a simple charge controller and a solar panel is a good one. The battery may have been perpetually undercharged according to theory, or not… who knows. What we know is that it worked for your use. I look at charging and topping SLI batteries the same way. lerfect is the enemy of good enough. Keeping them from going too low, so they don’t have higher sulfation damage than necessary, and keep the battery ready to go.

A charge controller and solar panel will give all the current that it can (of course as the battery charges it will logarithmically decline at the same voltage). I had been charging my S-10 with a panel and battery tender charge controller, and it has worked great.

Thanks for doing the tests. My experiences mirror your results. I usually charge the lead acid battery in my 530i using the 10A mode, and I always see that it drops way lower than that very quickly.

Does your chart show the EP phase?
No. I never saw it but I only left it on for another day. It’s still connected. Maybe I can set the data acquisition rate reallly slow and let it take data over days/weeks…. WHO knows how often it does that mode….

No. I never saw it but I only left it on for another day. It’s still connected. Maybe I can set the data acquisition rate reallly slow and let it take data over days/weeks…. WHO knows how often it does that mode….

JHZR2....

You need to stare at it constantly for at least 24-36 hours straight. . . No breaks. No bathroom trips .. Only Have your lady bring you food and water...

:)

Does your chart show the EP phase?

I just set the data acquisition to take one sample every 30s for the next 3 days. No idea if the meter batteries can go that long but we will see. I also reached out to Clore to see if they can tell me how much for how long and how often it exercises the battery.

The unit is fan cooled, and the manual implies maybe 1A down to 12.xV. We’ll see if it gets there. I wonder too if it’s triggered by the battery coasting to a threshold value. My battery is currently resting at 13.05V. Maybe it will load it when it hits 13 or 12.9 or 12.7V??? We will see. Hopefully I can catch it.

Mine seems to do it almost all the time, as soon as it reaches 100%.

I just looked at the data. There are those two little blips that I can see after the charging ends. I checked the magnitude and sign of current, it definitely doesnt go negative pulling current out of the battery. It just rests and then after hitting a threshold voltage drop, it put a bit more current in, and then cuts out at a set voltage again. No discharge...

We will see what I find when I take data for longer periods... Hope that the batteries hold out in the cold of my unheated garage!

I just set the data acquisition to take one sample every 30s for the next 3 days. No idea if the meter batteries can go that long but we will see. I also reached out to Clore to see if they can tell me how much for how long and how often it exercises the battery.

The unit is fan cooled, and the manual implies maybe 1A down to 12.xV. We’ll see if it gets there. I wonder too if it’s triggered by the battery coasting to a threshold value. My battery is currently resting at 13.05V. Maybe it will load it when it hits 13 or 12.9 or 12.7V??? We will see. Hopefully I can catch it.
Mine started the EP phase when battery voltage dropped to around 12.7 or 12.6V (according to the charger). I'm seeing it draw 0.28A right now according to my clamp meter.

Mine started the EP phase when battery voltage dropped to around 12.7 or 12.6V (according to the charger). I'm seeing it draw 0.28A right now according to my clamp meter.
Ive been capturing data for a number of days.... Will report when I see something. I wasnt that low after the first three day capture...

This is great stuff...and was a lot of work. Is there a consensus as to which manufacturer has the superior charging "scheme" for AGM batteries? For flooded lead acid?

One issue I see is that most of the manufacturers with AGM settings on their chargers are lumping all AGM batteries into one category and charging them to the higher voltage, 14.7 volts. I purchased a Duracell AGM for my 300ZX and, after contacting Duracell, was told that setting is for "high performance" AGMs such as Optima and Odyssey, among others. Duracell advised to charge their AGMs to the regular 12 volt setting (12.4 volts) or risk damaging the battery. Optima branded battery chargers have 3 different selections depending on what type of AGM battery you are charging.

Last edited:
recently tested my noco genius 1 against CTEK MX5.0 on an older AGM motorcycle battery using a voltmeter.
The reason was that I felt after a charge with noco, the battery did not seem to have gained much capacity/ SOC.

my results showed noco has a very short absorption period and showed the green light in 1/4 of the period compared to CTEK and went into maintenance mode once the battery reached 12.7v.
CTEK in contrast took much longer with absorption and kept the battery on charge until it reached 13v, then going into monitoring mode.
I contacted noco who confirmed my findings as normal for their chargers!
Unfortunately for me, the noco turned out to be a waste of money and now confined to collecting dust

Reactions: Y_K
recently tested my noco genius 1 against CTEK MX5.0 on an older AGM motorcycle battery using a voltmeter.
The reason was that I felt after a charge with noco, the battery did not seem to have gained much capacity/ SOC.

my results showed noco has a very short absorption period and showed the green light in 1/4 of the period compared to CTEK and went into maintenance mode once the battery reached 12.7v.
CTEK in contrast took much longer with absorption and kept the battery on charge until it reached 13v, then going into monitoring mode.
I contacted noco who confirmed my findings as normal for their chargers!
Unfortunately for me, the noco turned out to be a waste of money and now confined to collecting dust
So, are you trying to restore the battery or just maintain it? I ask because for the past 16 months or so I've used a Noco 1 plugged into an accessory socket in my driven once a week 2002 Trailblazer to maintain the Optima battery that's in it. Bought that battery in 2013. It seems to maintain the battery just fine. I like it because I feel there's little chance of it overcharging and slowly cooking the battery.

I stopped leaving maintenance chargers permanently connected years ago.
In my case I use my chargers once a month. CTEK provides comprehensive info on their charging programs and is the one I would connect on permanent basis as it has a 10 day charge cycle. This is the only one I would use for permanent connection.
Noco will certainly not over charge, in my experience, it will undercharge. Could be mine is faulty but not according to noco's feedback.
PS I bought the noco originally because of it's LFP charging feature which I have only used once in 2.5 years!

Last edited:
Copying this over from another post since it is relevant.

@wrcsixeight - do you have any *easy* suggestions on how to get around this? Or am I operating this charger outside of some intended use profile?

I own the 10A noco and was surprised by the low float voltage. I have 2 batteries where the noco algorithm simply fails to miss the mark. I want to like this charger but I’m really uncertain what to do with this, so I tested it.

i pulled out a gp 35 agm. It still starts the crv but it’s sluggish. I let it charge on the noco overnight and walked out to a 12.8V battery in the morning. I then placed a 3amp load on it for 9 hours, which would bring the battery way down to roughly 50% or slightly less, of its original capacity.

i connected the noco and watched with a dvm as it ran through its 3 current levels in about 30 seconds, then settled on a 200mah charge rate at 12.8 volts. What?? Today is Saturday. If the 12.8 can push any real charge in over the waste current, it will be fully charged by my $100 10amp charger on Thursday.

unless I’m just missing something, I’m rather disappointed, and would consider returning it if I could.

am I missing something?

I would give it a few minutes. I've noticed that it can take a bit for "smart" chargers to ramp up the current. Probably because it's got different algorithms based on parameters it has to figure out about the battery.

@wrcsixeight - do you have any *easy* suggestions on how to get around this? Or am I operating this charger outside of some intended use profile?

When one puts a smart charger on a battery at a high state of charge, it can decide to do all sorts of things.
The Noco genius 1 I tested, had three different amperage levels on the agm setting.

going by memory here:

It would output 1 amp until 1 ampere got the battery upto 13.6vish, then only 0.5 amps until it reached 13.8v, then 0.25 amps to get the battery to 14.7v. Once it hit 14.7v, it quit outputing any amperage, and would not start again until battery voltage was drawn down to 12.69v.

It can take days for this surface charge voltage, to dissipate when disconnected from anything, or when in vehicle, for parasitic loads AND self discharge to btrng it down to 12.69v . Temperature and battery health are huge influencing variables as to how long it takes surface charge voltage to dissipate, after the charger stops..

One mighty see 12.83v, and this is NOT the float voltage, the noco is likely just waiting for battery voltage to fall to 12.69v before it starts putting out amperage again and then will again raise the battery voltage to the 3 setpoints it is programmed to seek.

I've no Idea if the genius 10 does something similar, on the agm setting.
You tell me.

When the smart charger quickly is able to raise battery voltage high, it assumes the battery is very close to, or at full charge ,and will perhaps just get it to mid 14,s then stop entirely, waiting for battery voltage to drop.
Some chargers seeing a low current quickly raise battery voltgae, might then skip pas bulk and absorption stages, and instead go right to float mode, and output enough amperage to only hold the battery at the programmed float voltage.

Idea float voltage is temperature dependent and battery specific.

The Noco genius one strategy in terms of just shutting off after achieving 14.7v, rather than holding the battery at as set float voltage can be a good thing. or not so good.
Takes for example my Northstar AGM. This battery fully charged holds 13.06v for weeks, when not connected to anything.
If the Genius 1 waited until its voltage fell to 12.69v, it would take months and the battery drained to 85% or so before it kicked back on.

Note, i did not wait, to test to see if there is a time trigger on the Genius 1.. I was loading the battery with some 12v LEDS upto about 1.5 amps iirc, and only when they drew it down to 12.69v did the Noco genius one kick back on and seek 13.6+v again

One size fits all Fload voltages on a battery well outside of 77f or one specifying high or lower float voltage is not even close to ideal. No matter how nice the word 'trickle' apparently sounds.

Too low a float voltage on a cold battery will allow it to slowly discharge and sulfate, too high a float voltage will eventually overcharge. use water, positive plate corrosion. premature failure.

Tricking smart chargers into doing what one is expecting, often requires draining the battery a fair amount, so that the charger can then put out its maximum amperage and slowly raise the battery voltage from low 12's, to mid 14's, then holding it mid 14's for x amount of time.

I got so sick of trying to second guess smart chargers, I now just use a adjustable voltage power supply, and watch an ammeter.

Voltage is electrical pressure
The battery decides how much amperage it can accept at the voltage/pressure reaching the battery terminals.

If the charger is rated for 10 amps, and placed on a well depleted healthy battery, it should initially provide 10 amps until the pressure rises to mid 14's.

A 100 amp hour healthy, battery drained to 50%, will take 10 amps for about 3.5 hours, before voltage reaches 14.5v at the battery terminals, then require 2-3 more hours above 14.0v to be in the 99.5% charged range. Lesser pressure = more time, and older batteries, lesser pressure will not be able to reach full charge no matter how much time one has.

Would you like to drive from A to B without an odometer, or speedometer on a featureless landscape, and have no good idea how to judge speed?

Knowing voltage /pressure a charger is delivering into the battery, is like saying my vehicle can go either 35mph, 75.27mph, or 100mph, but I have no idea where point A is, nor how far away B is, nor do know my speed, nor how far I have traveled. I'll just have the vehicle stop automatically when i see a green light and assume I am there.

Get an ammeter.

When amperage tapers to very low levels at voltages above 14.2ish, or stops tapering, the battery is truly fully charged. amperage the battery accepts at at float voltages ( less pressure) is much less informative.

If you dont know the amperage the battery is accepting, but only voltage, you have no idea whether you are travelling 35, 75, or 100mph, and with the Noco genius 1 anyway, you could simply be coasting towards 12.69v, after having gotten to 100mph, hours, or days, or weeks before.

Stop driving blind.

Splice these 12 awg leads inline on your charger( upto 25 amps). simple dimple, there is a source and load side. the charger will be the source, the battery the load.

it will show:
1. Voltage
2. amperage
3. wattage
4. Watt hours
5. amp hours.
6. Peak amperage
7. Peak wattage
8. Minimum voltage
9. some clones show Time, as well. some think 52 minutes is an hour, and the KWH figure is way off, but Ah are still accurate.

There are many dozens of clones of this wattmeter.
None are perfect, most are good enough.

Some do better than others reading accurately in the 0.3 amp range or less.
Some I've gotten, have been good down to 0.06amps, but at an actual 0.05amps it reads 0.00amps.
Others read 0.15a at an actual 0.3 amps and reads 0.00 at an actual 0.12 amps

I double check mine with other shunted ammeters, or a clamp on Ammeters.

Knowing how many amp hours the battery took before the charger shut off, is enlightening.
Knowing how many more amp hours the battery can accept after the smart charger shuts off, and an adjustable voltage power supply applied continues to hold the battery in the mid 14, is both frustrating, and enlightening.

On ~100 Ah batteries I found I could almost always stuff in 8 to 12 more amp hours via adjustable voltage power supply, after the smart charger said enough, green light for you.

Once I started regularly stuffing those additional 8 to 12 amp hours into the regularly deep cycling marine 12v battery, I started getting 'respectable' cycle life from them. Before that I was consistently disappointed with any brand battery, no matter how well I tried to recharge them with the tools I had, then.

How much difference it makes in a pure starter battery duty, is certainly up for debate.

Good enough, is subjective.
Opinion,
and there no shortages of uninformed versions of those, nowadays.

Last edited:
@wrcsixeight, yes, your memory of the Noco logic corresponds with mine. I had the same thoughts - add instrumentation to see what's going on - or use a different setup. I did use an ammeter to confirm what was happening in the state it settled on.

@ripcord - good advice - I ended up watching it over 24 hours on this test, and observed similar over the past few weeks with the other.

In defense of the NOCO, this test battery probably didn't have much life left in it. This is a case where it may be outside of the envelope for the NOCO's intended programming. BUT, that also means that the NOCO is basically good for charging healthy batteries, and may not be ideal for extending the life as a maintenance charge for batteries in service in chronically undercharged conditions. I believe @JHZR2 said it earlier - that the NOCO appears to use a more conservative strategy... and that's not necessarily a bad thing. There are days where a conservative strategy is preferred. Just my thoughts.

Oooh, charger thread!

Great data JHZR2!

Quite surprising how different the charging algorithms are.

A maintenance/float charge of 12.8v? Very conservative... I had one affair with a Noco charger a few years ago and it was way too agressive. Maybe all those calls to Noco support made them change their minds 😁

This relatively inexpensive charger/maintainer is a favourite of mine, due to price and consistency. Holds a nice steady 13.6 volts on every battery I've tested it on.

My two CTEK 4.3's are getting less and less charging time. But they are still my most trusted next to the little "Motopower".

^^^ I set a friend up with one of those. Before installing it in her riding mower I tested it for a week in various cases. I was quite pleased with it!

Back