Battery Charger Testing Results

I’ve been behind in carrying out my testing. Need to get back at it. I did get a new toy to try. $39.99-7% Amazon discount with SAE plugs, a nice LCD with temperature and voltage data, and a temperature sensor.

72E08587-619E-4C3B-BB2E-BF5C30C07AD1.jpeg

I’m going to test this new thing first. I’m curious about it.

Then back to the other more mainstream ones I have around.

1748B035-C9B9-454F-9959-74CFB0347453.jpeg

I’ll note, it is off by 0.3V.

Off by 0.3V? Sorry, looks like cheap Amazon junk as usual to me...
that could be a set point?

I think @Jetronic is onto something. That or it’s self calibrated.

I have run it a few times. Sometimes way off. Sometimes about spot on.

C8CE4302-6A6E-4983-A81C-B2BE303CAF18.jpeg

Don’t have a photo of it spot in, but tonight I went to look at it and it was matching exactly. Weird.

I think @Jetronic is onto something. That or it’s self calibrated.

I have run it a few times. Sometimes way off. Sometimes about spot on.

Don’t have a photo of it spot in, but tonight I went to look at it and it was matching exactly. Weird.
I'd say maybe that's what it is outputting, but you should be measuring the same then, weird...

Given the accuracy specification of your multimeter a displayed reading of 12.41 VDC could be anywhere from 12.32V to 12.49V actual. Now consider that looking at a state of charge table for car batteries, 12.32V is 70% charged and 12.50 volts is 90%. You’re using a piece of test equipment that, when operating within spec, cannot distinguish between them.

Reactions: Y_K
Given the accuracy specification of your multimeter a displayed reading of 12.41 VDC could be anywhere from 12.32V to 12.49V actual. Now consider that looking at a state of charge table for car batteries, 12.32V is 70% charged and 12.50 volts is 90%. You’re using a piece of test equipment that, when operating within spec, cannot distinguish between them.

Thats true, the Owon logging meter has an accuracy of 0.5%, while, say, my Fluke 87V is 0.05%. Sure. That’s why if I’m looking at actual SOC, I actually use a good meter, like my 87V, Because it does matter.

For evaluating charging profiles and steps, it doesn’t matter so much in that the interest is in the charging strategy. If a charger has calibration drift or accuracy issues, it could over or under charge, that’s indeed a risk. But not the primary intent of studying their charging profiles.

I'd say maybe that's what it is outputting, but you should be measuring the same then, weird...
I’ve noticed it has gotten closer. Here it is not outputting, and it is very close. Far closer than the consistent 0.3V I saw when I first had it. It is also flagging the battery as bad. Not sure why. It may well be not that great. But I don’t know that it’s condemnable. Probably should do a real resistive load test on it...

F3914A60-14A5-4443-B941-5739B30C033D.jpeg

After gathering info from various reviews I bought a NOCO 10. Be careful pushing the mode button on your NOCO! Less than 2 months and the button has failed. A simple label that sticks on, but NOCO cannot supply one. To get it resolved, actually replaced, I have to send it to them. No parts, no repairs. No more IP65 water proofing wither.

noco10-switchbrokesm.jpg

After gathering info from various reviews I bought a NOCO 10. Be careful pushing the mode button on your NOCO! Less than 2 months and the button has failed. A simple label that sticks on, but NOCO cannot supply one. To get it resolved, actually replaced, I have to send it to them. No parts, no repairs. No more IP65 water proofing wither.

View attachment 47101
You must have very sharp fingernails, or pressed it hard!

Well looks like I will be sending my "Genius10" off to Noco for replacement. First the button fell apart, see #71 above. Now when I hook it up and turn it on, it constantly switches on-off-on-off from "12V' or "12V AGM" continuously. Two vehicles & different batteries. Might give up on a Noco once this warranty mess at my expense (shipping) gets straightened out. It was doing something else weird a couple of weeks ago, all lights were on and the green light was hard flashing not the usual fade in-out. Tech support told me it was in maintenance mode! No faith in this device anymore, and I certainly wouldn't want to leave it powered on charging and unattended for any length of time.

Last edited:
Trying to charge the battery weekly since ‘12 Camry sees a lot of short trips. Takes about 20 mins before the 3 amp charger from Walmart says charge complete. East Penn 24f battery. The Value one from WM. Had a no start issue when battery was 14 mos. old. But that was likely due to the short trips and car not being driven much during that time.
20210326_105116.jpg
20210326_105128.jpg
20210326_105131.jpg

Last edited:
Back