Battery change in Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
for mr the only way I would change a prius battery is to have the dealer or an experienced specialty shop do it with a new battery. putting in an old unknown salvage yard battery is a bad deal. to me.
what do they charge at a dealer labor plus new battery $3500?

Skipping a lot of the noise here I can say with good confidence that he engine was not suspected to last longer than the battery.

Case in point was my Aunt's 2004 Prius w/ over 200k miles. Battery was fine, engine was consuming about 1.5 qts of oil every 1000 miles. 0w20 synthetic as well used exclusively it's entire life.

They did a lot of highway driving so the engine got used a lot more than the battery. Numerous PA-FL trips, plus the racking up miles every summer in her fair circuit.

She didn't get a Prius V because of any mechanical fault other than the high mileage. She did so because of space for the grandkids.

For the times I did drive it it seemed fine in the electric pickup area but still slower than any of my vehicles.

I would imagine battery life has a lot more to do with environment and maintenance than anything else. Super cold or hot will effect the life as would not replacing the filters OR fixing the A/C system if it broke. The battery relies a lot on the A/C circuit to keep it cool in the summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Case in point was my Aunt's 2004 Prius w/ over 200k miles. Battery was fine, engine was consuming about 1.5 qts of oil every 1000 miles. 0w20 synthetic as well used exclusively it's entire life.

Nice story bro. The only thing is 2004 was speced for 5W30.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Don't nice story bro me, I am not some daft teenager. We are adults....

So the oil cap & owners manual lie? I put the oil in numerous times. The year could be off but I know what I saw. Please explain to me since Ford & Toyota both love back specing that a 0w20 would do any harm? If it would Ford V8's would have been falling out of trucks for a long time....

Edit: Based on your earlier post you aren't going to agree with anything anyone will say in this thread. Also explain why the dumb down drivers would want even try to disassemble a high voltage battery pack? You might think it is a cake walk but that doesn't mean everyone else will. BTW She was more than prepared to replace hers should the need arrive however once they brought the Prius V out she wanted a bigger car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Don't nice story bro me, I am not some daft teenager. We are adults....

So the oil cap & owners manual lie? I put the oil in numerous times. The year could be off but I know what I saw. Please explain to me since Ford & Toyota both love back specing that a 0w20 would do any harm? If it would Ford V8's would have been falling out of trucks for a long time....

Edit: Based on your earlier post you aren't going to agree with anything anyone will say in this thread. Also explain why the dumb down drivers would want even try to disassemble a high voltage battery pack? You might think it is a cake walk but that doesn't mean everyone else will. BTW She was more than prepared to replace hers should the need arrive however once they brought the Prius V out she wanted a bigger car.
According to Toyota's website in the owners manual section it was 2010 that Toyota started speccing 0w20.

There was a battery rebuilder for Honda (is it Bumble Bee?) that rebuild their pack with new cells for $2k, $6k for a Prius doesn't make sense at all unless it is loaded with profits at dealer markup.

But to be honest, Prius drivetrain is pretty reliable and $2k at 200k is not bad, with or without the fuel saving. I'd say I'd trust this more than many automatic transmission or European cars' power train, to be honest.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
] According to Toyota's website in the owners manual section it was 2010 that Toyota started speccing 0w20.

Thats great and all but I know what I saw...irregardless the car has long since been totaled by another driver. So it's a moot point now but I can assure that is what the cap said. Maybe that is one of the reasons she won't buy another Toyota from her local dealer and she drives down to mine.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
There was a battery rebuilder for Honda (is it Bumble Bee?) that rebuild their pack with new cells for $2k, $6k for a Prius doesn't make sense at all unless it is loaded with profits at dealer markup.

But to be honest, Prius drivetrain is pretty reliable and $2k at 200k is not bad, with or without the fuel saving. I'd say I'd trust this more than many automatic transmission or European cars' power train, to be honest.

To qualify such a statement what European powertrain did you have in mind? Because frankly domestics & imports are on par for reliability these days.

To qualify such a statement what European powertrain did you have in mind? Because frankly domestics & imports are on par for reliability these days.

VW TDI

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

VW TDI

Based on what DPF's? The engine will happily function fine without the exhaust aftertreatment.

The injection pump? Bad part from Bosch which in truth barely affected 1% of total vehicles sold.

I would have figured the 2.0t myself since the newness of DI and no really knowing how they'd last. TDI's were proven in the early 2000's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back