2008 HHR Electrical Issues?

A friend of mine has a 2008 Chevrolet HHR with the 2.4L. I recently helped him reinstall his rebuilt alternator and install a new battery.
During this he told me shortly prior to the 2 maintenance ventures, he had removed and then re-installed his previous battery and accidentally installed it backwards. I don't remember the whole story, but doing that led to his "car going haywire and everything blinking and going off." It stayed connected backwards for about 3 minutes before it was realized what had been done. After correcting it, he said multiple things were not working correctly and his car would start, run for a little bit and then eventually lose power and die. That's what led him to replacing the battery and rebuilding the alternator.

What else should I tell him to look for that could be damaged from that battery connection mishap? I have never had this happen before, and electrical is not something I carry a lot of knowledge on. So I'm a little unsure where to direct him.
We checked some fuses and found the fuse for his sunroof/back hatch was blown (they weren't working) and when he replaced it, the sunroof worked again, but the back hatch does not still. Noticed the back hatch has a relay. Could that be toast, too?
Also, his radio, key fob, and a couple other things are not working still. Should I just tell him to start pulling fuses and relays checking them?

The car currently runs, but he said while he took a short 15 minute trip, a transmitter he has to show the live voltage of the battery was slowly showing it dropping. Started at 12.2, turned car on went to 11.9, and then after driving 15 minutes has made it to 10.9. He hasn't drove it since that.

Thanks for any help guys!

I would assume the ECM was damaged if not fried altogether.
That is my biggest fear for him. I wasn't sure if it that was a possibility to consider since he was able to turn it on and drive it.
Any way to test if it is?

The car currently runs, but he said while he took a short 15 minute trip, a transmitter he has to show the live voltage of the battery was slowly showing it dropping. Started at 12.2, turned car on went to 11.9, and then after driving 15 minutes has made it to 10.9.
Who rebuilt it? IT's obviously not putting out. I'd check all the maxi fuses too.

Who rebuilt it? IT's obviously not putting out. I'd check all the maxi fuses too.
It was redone by a starter and alternator shop here in town. It's a real pain to get it off, so before going the route of driving somewhere to get it tested or removing again we were trying to think of anything else we could check while the car is in his garage.

Seems that this is a chronic issue with LS400's (more an owner issue); battery cables or jumper cables reverse connected. Even after the fuses and fusible links (high current fuses) are replaced, odd behavior and head scratching continues.

It is amazing how much damage can actually occur by hooking up the battery incorrectly or jump starting incorrectly. When you have battery chargers and multi-meters etc that have reverse polarity protection why not cars??? I had an SRX last year towed in the shop - guy jump started with reversed hook up. That cost him a new ECM, BCM, Bose radio module and a liftgate module as well as 10-15 fuses.

Time to reevaluate the HHR, if it seems worth rebuilding perhaps an inexpensive parts car. Throwing new electronic parts at it could be expensive. That or as suggested above take it to a shop with a cap on how much he`s willing to spend on this heartbreaker.

I think the fact it ran for a little bit is a good sign for the ECU, but not for certain. If its recognizing the key and such, the BCU is maybe OK also.

Some fuses are reverse polarity protected. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like enough of his were.

Some automotive relays have reverse polarity protected diodes, so you might have some bad relays on your hands.

Thank you all for the input! After talking to him some more, this was an honest mistake made due to being in a hurry and just wasn't paying close attention. Battery is located inside the back hatch, in the spare tire compartment area, and the hatch wasn't operating. He had to crawl in over the seats to install (backwards from normal). Tough lesson to learn.
He's about to start going through all the fuses and relays. Praying that is all it is as he and his wife are in the midst of purchasing their first house and a car purchase was not exactly on their radar.

The Cobalt and HHR have an alternator that only puts out juice if it’s commanded to do so.

On long drives my battery voltage drops to 13.2volts as the car tries to save gas.

If the ecu was damaged it may no longer command charge current, had this happen on an old dodge with a similar system so I replaced the alternator with an antique that self regulates

Here is the noise you get on this subject when asked, it’s possible the alternator wasn’t rebuilt correctly (needs a bench test). There is also a cable that behaves like a fuse link you will need to test.
be thankful you don’t have a Prius as it can run upwards of $2000 to fix

Go through every fuse in both fuse boxes
Plus any major maxi fuses near/around the battery terminal

Likely won’t help, there is a cable in the harness called a splice that blows like a fuse link,
on my Honda Insight that had accident damage I had to run a new hot cable from the dcdc directly to the battery because of the damage location. (Portion of the hot cable that behaved like a fuse link wasn’t easily accessible or repairable)

Last edited:
Back