Basic dumb phone for a kid

Any recommendations for a basic (voice and text only) phone that would work with Red Pocket?

I'm looking at this AGM phone:

But I can't get a straight answer from either Red Pocket nor AGM whether it would actually work with Red Pocket. It just says it's compatible with T-Mobile, and Red Pocket does use T-Mobile's network, but will it work?

I'm open to other suggestions - as basic as possible and long battery life would be best.

It should work if it's unlocked. However, it says "please make sure to activate your SIM card on another phone first" :cautious:

Do you already have the SIM card, or will it be a new line you're going to add to your account? :unsure:

Look for something that says "unlocked"
Even if it says "GSM Unlocked" that will work.

Read this >>>>>>>

So mean

You can get WiFi texting apps, and put them on a phone without a sim card. I think Google voice is one

My first phone was a moto g from 2012. It had the power to run a wifi texting app and clash of clans. After I was 16 I got a phone with cell service, because there's no free WiFi when you're offroading in the desert and my parents would worry after a few hours with no texts

hmmmm. ... you do not say the age of your kid or what type of phone you currently use.
I only say that because direct from Red Pocket you can buy a basic iPhone SE for $129 after rebate AND if you already have an iPhone its easy keep track of where your kid is all day with the find my phone feature mapping. The cell service itself is $20 a month though.

hmmmm. ... you do not say the age of your kid or what type of phone you currently use.
He's 9. It's just for emergencies when he stays at home while we are out.

I currently have a landline that he can use, but I'm planning to ditch it since it costs $50/month. So I'm basically looking for a cheaper alternative. The Red Pocket plan is $30 for an entire year. Just need a cheap phone to go with it. Don't want him to play games on it, hence the dumb phone idea.

I currently have a landline that he can use, but I'm planning to ditch it since it costs $50/month. So I'm basically looking for a cheaper alternative. The Red Pocket plan is $30 for an entire year. Just need a cheap phone to go with it. Don't want him to play games on it, hence the dumb phone idea.
We ditched our landline well over 10 to 13 years ago, saved a fortune, however we still have a landline, exactly how all landlines work now from cable companies. VOIP ... All you do is plug it into your modem. When we moved from our home of 16 years last year, all I did was unplug it at the old house and plug it into the back of the modem in the new home and state, everything the same including phone number.
I did change my address with Ooma for emergency services to have the right address.

We rarely use it, sometimes I do if I dont want to hold my cell phone up to my ear for a long time, since the house phone is lighter. However we use the home phone number ALL the time to give out to parties and people that we rather keep our cell phone numbers private, sometimes even now when you order stuff you are forced to give a phone number, so we give one that we never pick up and we are not harassed with sales calls etc. We just let the home answer machines pick up, for that in itself it is worth the less than $7 a month! *LOL*

Buy the device and pay NOTHING per month except taxes, which is my two states was less than $7 a month for the last up to 13 years.

Last edited:
Buy the device and pay NOTHING per month except taxes, which is my two states was less than $7 a month for the last up to 13 years.
I know, but I'd rather not be dependent on the internet connection - if it goes down, so does your home phone.

Plus, with a cell phone, you can also use it when out of the house, if need be. And the Red Pocket plan is still cheaper than ooma.

I know, but I'd rather not be dependent on the internet connection - if it goes down, so does your home phone.

Plus, with a cell phone, you can also use it when out of the house, if need be. And the Red Pocket plan is still cheaper than ooma.
Oh, dont mis-understand me, Im not saying to do anything different, I was just saying if you want to keep a home phone line you can do it for a fraction of the $50 you are paying. I know different areas of the country still have issues with internet but ours has been just as reliable as electric service all these years. I think it's good for kids to have a cell phone like you are planning.

Get an Apple Watch with a basic data plan. We’ve done this and it has been great. Since it’s associated with a low cost t-mobile data plan, and Apple ID, we can track the watch and its usage, as well as set limits when it can be used.

Thanks, but all those budget Nokia phones seem to have terrible reviews. Nokia is not what it used to be 20 years ago.
When buying the phone make sure it works with T-Mobile network bands. Other than that you can’t expect much from a basic feature phone these days. TCL, Alcatel or Nokia would probably be the safest choice

IMG_4658.jpg

Back