Switched from T-Mobile to US Mobile

Yesterday, I signed up for two lines on US Mobile, just waiting on the physical SIM cards to arrive. I'm making the switch from T-mobile as they increased my rates 20%. I'm excited to try both the Verizon (Warp) & T-mobile towers on my phone and wife's phone. We're taking a 14 day trip to some rural places over the next 2 weeks and I'm curious what system is a better for fit us. I had a few options at this price point however the 35 gig of data per line (not-depolarized), and 10 gigs of hotspot before throttling stood out when compared to Visable Mobile, Telle, and Red Rocket.

I'll report back my experience making the official swap, thoughts on network offerings etc...

Cheers

Short update, for those who remain curious: I've been on the "Warp" network (Verizon) for a couple weeks now. Truthfully, I'm in a tough spot now. T-mobile's network here in central WI has a lot of holes in-between towns, but almost everywhere it DOES have signal is true 5G stand alone which provides download speeds in the 3-400 meg range.

That being said, Verizon's 5G here isn't even worth discussing. For all intents and purposes, it's regular ol' LTE during my normal day-to-day use. Download speeds reflect that fact, although most of my time spent on the cellular network is while driving, so the only thing actually utilizing the network is my streaming music app. More important than speed, however, is connection stability which is an area Verizon shines. Complete guess-timate, but I'd say I have roughly 50% BETTER coverage over the course of my 23 mile commute.

For now, I'm going to stick with Warp.
And you've hit on why I use dual eSIMs in my phone. I have Mint Mobile on a lower data plan (15gb/month) to be on the TMO network and Visible+ to also be on the VZN 5G UW as well as their LTE coverage.

The iPhone does data switching, so it can use either for data.

My work phone is on ATT so that gives me access to their network, albeit on a different device.

oilBabe has Boost Infinite on her iPhone 15 PM and that gives her Dish, TMO, and ATT on the "Rainbow SIM" and we also have Visible+ on her phone to give her access to all the carriers.

So, for less than $60 for each of us, we have all the networks covered. If we can't talk, no one can.

Yesterday, I signed up for two lines on US Mobile, just waiting on the physical SIM cards to arrive. I'm making the switch from T-mobile as they increased my rates 20%. I'm excited to try both the Verizon (Warp) & T-mobile towers on my phone and wife's phone. We're taking a 14 day trip to some rural places over the next 2 weeks and I'm curious what system is a better for fit us. I had a few options at this price point however the 35 gig of data per line (not-depolarized), and 10 gigs of hotspot before throttling stood out when compared to Visable Mobile, Telle, and Red Rocket.

I'll report back my experience making the official swap, thoughts on network offerings etc...

Cheers

Just made the switch. Put my wife's phone on the GSM network, which we previously had through T-Mobile. Oddly enough, sitting at the same table her download speeds were 12 Mbps higher (35mbps) then my existing T-Mobile line.... My phone on the "WARP" Verizon network is 88 Mbps. Sitting at the same table.

Sunday, we leave for a 14 day east coast road trip, down some rural stretches and beaches. We will keep whatever network serves us the best or possible both?

Cheers

Short update, for those who remain curious: I've been on the "Warp" network (Verizon) for a couple weeks now. Truthfully, I'm in a tough spot now. T-mobile's network here in central WI has a lot of holes in-between towns, but almost everywhere it DOES have signal is true 5G stand alone which provides download speeds in the 3-400 meg range.

That being said, Verizon's 5G here isn't even worth discussing. For all intents and purposes, it's regular ol' LTE during my normal day-to-day use. Download speeds reflect that fact, although most of my time spent on the cellular network is while driving, so the only thing actually utilizing the network is my streaming music app. More important than speed, however, is connection stability which is an area Verizon shines. Complete guess-timate, but I'd say I have roughly 50% BETTER coverage over the course of my 23 mile commute.

For now, I'm going to stick with Warp.
I think I am pretty much experiencing what you are. T-Mobile in a good signal area I can get solid performance numbers using speed tests but the 5g service is wonky as we discussed once the signal gets weaker. (notably inside stores etc) When it works though, wow, it is good.

Verizon speed tests in our sort of rural area show that the T-Mobile is far ahead when trying to "beat" the speed test and 5g service. Even though I can post some of those Verizon tests with 100s Mbps in more populated areas Verizon speeds can really slow down using the speed test in more rural but not noticeable on your cell phone. 5 to 15Mbps

AS you experience though (and others) it seems no matter how weak the Verizon signal is I get service and honestly pretty much the only way I know how much slower that service is only shows on the speed test, you dont notice it on the phone itself. Actually I am shocked after having T-Mobile for two years, I never remember seeing one bar (even two) of service on T-Mobile and have useable signal and here with Verizon with even one bar it works fine.

With T-Mobile at same locations, I could have great looking signal on the phone but pull my hair out wondering why all the page hangs.

So I am torn too *LOL* Sometimes I want to go into my USMobile portal and switch to T-Mobile to try out. Im just not sure how simple the procedure is, meaning will I have issues to work though making the switch or will it be seamless?
Like you, I think I will hang in there with Verizon, since I get coverage everywhere so far, overall the connection has certainly been more stable no matter the signal, Where with T-Mobile I can look at good signal but not have a good data connection.

I did experience one issue I haven't seen in a while. I was surprised at slow test speeds on a highway on the way to my dentist, so for the heck of it, I restarted my phone and ended up with 5g UW on my phone and more bars but then a very short while later back to LTE. GO figure. For anyone else reading this, service has been 100% reliable using US Mobile "Warp" service. Im pretty much talking about beating the speed test. Though at the beach yesterday speed test speeds dropped low 5mbps but if I remember correctly I might have had higher signal with T-Mobile but issues connecting, with Verizon I had no issues.

I've been using US Mobile for over a year after switching from Verizon. I've had no issues at all and have saved quite a bit of money. I will concur that customer service chat was quick and very helpful the 2 times I've had to use them.

@14Accent
(Short post for a change :whistle:)
It's official, with my wife and I experiences too per the discussion about usable signal Verzon vs T-Mobile. AS you posted and I concurred, wife and I did the ultimate test tonight inside a Foodloin near our home. I already posted on other stores but this left no doubt for our area.

Wife and I NEVER was able to call or text each other in this supermarket with T-Mobile unless we were all the way upfront or outside>
No issue at all calling her tonight using US Mobile "Warp" (Verizon) even though only 1 bar, voice was crystal clear. NO more testing needed "Warp" range is better on weak signals.

T-Mobile when working might beat in number of upgraded towers with 5g but many times that 5g is useless if not enough signal which then at times gives you hung up pages using the internet because it seems to want to try to use 5g but 5g doesnt work.
For now going to stick with US Mobile Warp. That doesnt mean we for fun might try the other one day for fun, if the process is simple.
(I did burn through a lot of data doing speed tests and uploading large video files that I never usually do on a cell network.

Update, I tried calling US Mobile, 30 minute wait, 17 people in front of me on hold. I hung up.
I was able to do what I need to do after a number of tries on Chat which it always much faster and my preferred way to contact any customer service, however I dont think they understood what I was asking.

The website is still a bit convoluted. It's good, but for example I found out my wife and I burned through data like never before since switching to US Mobile. I knew something was wrong, after investigating and seeing that my wife's line was the main culprit (besides my frequent speed tests) I was trying to find out why, anyway I turned on "Auto Top Off" which will add data to my 12gb shared plan as needed.
HOWEVER the website does not indicate it is active anyplace on it and still shows I will run out of data. SO I had to call and forget that with the long wait time.

SO in chat, When I finally asked the simple question is Auto Top Off enabled on my account right away (pretty much) in chat they said yes. Even though no place on my US Mobile Portal does it indicate nor does it show I have more data (must be a lag time)

This isnt a knock on US Mobile except the website is bit all over the place, Im used to that will cell plans and never need to contact anyone but this time I did.

The issue was my wife's phone was burning through data, as an example at the beach 2 days ago, burned through almost 2GB on her line alone, typically she uses about 4 GB a month! Her iPhone Music setting was set to "Lossless" which uses boatloads of data and completely pointless and no benefit at all except to burn data, heck Apple even warns of it on cell data. Changed the setting, should be good, looking forward to next billing cycle to get a true picture. We never use more than 12GB for both lines in a month, once a year POSSIBLY ... but we sure did this month with our new plan and US mobile. Now that the music setting is what it should be we will see.

Just a reminder to check your cell phone settings. Its completely pointless listening to ear buds or blue tooth speaker like we did at the beach on the cell network with a setting of "Lossless" those devices and most others so not have the capability to replicate a lossless music format. In our iPhones we have it set on Wifi only for lossless and cell data set for data saver or something like that. Except my wife's phone somehow was on lossless.

On the plus side to the above ^^^ post. The US Mobile site does have some useful stuff. It looks like I can instantly switch networks from Verizon to Tmobile (Warp to GSM) almost as many times as I want... however I did not try it and I am not going to unless at some point I have reason too.

Yes T-Mobile has moved to buy out US Cellular, but that has nothing to do with US Mobile as they are different companies. US Mobile is an MVNO. US Cellular is a primary provider that owns a network of towers.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I think I am pretty much experiencing what you are. T-Mobile in a good signal area I can get solid performance numbers using speed tests but the 5g service is wonky as we discussed once the signal gets weaker. (notably inside stores etc) When it works though, wow, it is good.

Verizon speed tests in our sort of rural area show that the T-Mobile is far ahead when trying to "beat" the speed test and 5g service. Even though I can post some of those Verizon tests with 100s Mbps in more populated areas Verizon speeds can really slow down using the speed test in more rural but not noticeable on your cell phone. 5 to 15Mbps

AS you experience though (and others) it seems no matter how weak the Verizon signal is I get service and honestly pretty much the only way I know how much slower that service is only shows on the speed test, you dont notice it on the phone itself. Actually I am shocked after having T-Mobile for two years, I never remember seeing one bar (even two) of service on T-Mobile and have useable signal and here with Verizon with even one bar it works fine.

With T-Mobile at same locations, I could have great looking signal on the phone but pull my hair out wondering why all the page hangs.

So I am torn too *LOL* Sometimes I want to go into my USMobile portal and switch to T-Mobile to try out. Im just not sure how simple the procedure is, meaning will I have issues to work though making the switch or will it be seamless?
Like you, I think I will hang in there with Verizon, since I get coverage everywhere so far, overall the connection has certainly been more stable no matter the signal, Where with T-Mobile I can look at good signal but not have a good data connection.

I did experience one issue I haven't seen in a while. I was surprised at slow test speeds on a highway on the way to my dentist, so for the heck of it, I restarted my phone and ended up with 5g UW on my phone and more bars but then a very short while later back to LTE. GO figure. For anyone else reading this, service has been 100% reliable using US Mobile "Warp" service. Im pretty much talking about beating the speed test. Though at the beach yesterday speed test speeds dropped low 5mbps but if I remember correctly I might have had higher signal with T-Mobile but issues connecting, with Verizon I had no issues.
My experience with T-Mobile is similar to yours. In regards to the 5G wonkiness, I find that when I am at my office if I turn off 5G and roll it back to LTE, it's much better, both signal speed and battery life. If I leave it on 5G and not plugged in, it will completely deplete the battery by the end of the day and the phone will be almost unusable from a data standpoint. I work in the bottom floor of a concrete building with no windows, thankfully, I don't have to go down there very often.

Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G, if it matters to anyone.

Back