Bashing Fram oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably older than many here, and have been changing oil on and off since the late 70's. Back then I almost always used a Fram Orange can (around $5 then). At that time i was under the impression it was better than most (of course I was young, dumb, & wrong). Also used a Fram orange PH8A on my 86 Ranger most of the time.

The infonet is something I wished happened long ago. lol

I do believe the orange cans are ok, but for me its worth spending $2-3 more for something of higher quality. I also believe that all oil filter types/part #s/manufacturers, probably have 1 off defects or failures from time to time.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
I don't know how those cellulose media oil filters of AC, Chrysler, and Ford in sayjac's Amsoil chart even got above 90%. Usually all-paper elements don't score that high. Maybe bad info. Typical values for paper oil filters are around 80% at 20 microns, not over 90% !

PureOnes are cellulose media AFAIK, and they are rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns. Classics are 97.5% @ 20 microns, and surely just cellulose media.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: kschachn
The Toyota and Honda oil filters appear to be gravel screens.

It would appear that way from the Amsoil graph, yet my Honda and Toyotas have used OEM filters for nearly their entire lives without any issues. Once again (if you believe the Amsoil graph) it tends to support the idea it doesn't matter one bit.

The old VW Beetle simply had a junky screen and those little engines lasted a LONG time.

I wouldn't call 80K ~ 100K a long time by today's standards. Most of those old VWs didn't make it much past 80K before the bearings were smoked.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It would appear that way from the Amsoil graph, yet my Honda and Toyotas have used OEM filters for nearly their entire lives without any issues. Once again (if you believe the Amsoil graph) it tends to support the idea it doesn't matter one bit.

The old VW Beetle simply had a junky screen and those little engines last.

I wouldn't call 80K ~ 100K a long time by today's standards. Most of those old VWs didn't make it much past 80K before the bearings were smoked.

But they might be the simplest car to work on ever made. You can rip the motor out in no time

Last edited:
..PureOnes are cellulose media AFAIK, and they are rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns. Classics are 97.5% @ 20 microns, and surely just cellulose media.
Yes.

And as for the credibility of the Amsoil chart, 'seems to me' that if Amsoil was going to 'cook the books' as it were on the ISO results, the Motorcraft, GM/AC Delco and Chrysler/Mopar wouldn't have tested as well as they did. Just noting a follow up comment here, the graph does make those three appear quite respectable even in comparison to the Amsoil filter.

The old VW Beetle simply had a junky screen and those little engines lasted a LONG time.

And that was with doing the 2-3,000 mile oil changes using specified straight 20 or 30 weight oil, depending upon the season.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: sayjac
..PureOnes are cellulose media AFAIK, and they are rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns. Classics are 97.5% @ 20 microns, and surely just cellulose media.
Yes.

And as for the credibility of the Amsoil chart, 'seems to me' that if Amsoil was going to 'cook the books' as it were on the ISO results, the Motorcraft, GM/AC Delco and Chrysler/Mopar wouldn't have tested as well as they did. Just noting a follow up comment here, the graph does make those three appear quite respectable even in comparison to the Amsoil filter.

They may not be cooking the books, but I tend to think they, Amsoil, have a thumb on the scale in most everything they say. The test is out of date now. There needs to be at least one other test to verify accuracy. One test is not enough. I suspect they did a little picking and choosing on the graph to have theirs land on top. Most people would tend to do that on things they want to sell.

I used the Fram Orange can in the 60's and 70's. Was young back then and ran my cars hard and was at the drag strip on the weekends running them also. Today I believe there is a better filter for the money and don't mind paying extra for an Ultra or something similar. Thing is, I never lost an engine to running one of the Fram Orange cans.

From a newbie aspect most here are anal and cheap and suffer OCD.
Before I get reamed I lived 80% of my life the same way until I found reality.
Most fight over what lubes to use and what filters to install only because that is the limit of their ability. Praise the Lord everyone is not an engine builder here. I can see fresh engine rebuilds every 3000 miles.........

Oh yeah, I too worry if my orange can is filtering well on my "73" Pinto with Firestone radials and a full tank of gas. It really wears on me....................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back