Bashing Fram oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a LOT of people that bash Fram oil filters, they call them OCOD, junk etc.

Growing up I used Fram oil filters with no problem on my cars.

While the orange Frams appear to look cheap on the inside, do they actually do their job?

Are there any documented cases of the orange Fram filters causing engine damage?

And everyone here who says anything positive about any Fram filter is obviously a "compensated shill" or a "fanboy". But anyone who talks positive about any other filter isn't ... ok, sure. So much entertainment ...
crackmeup2.gif

The reason Fram looks cheaper is the media is made with a blend of cellulose and glass fibers so it achieves leading efficiency and holding capacity using less pleats. I believe all other entry level filters use cellulose only but higher pleat counts.

People who count pleats don't really what their doing unless the media is exactly the same which it hardly ever is.

Fram extra guards are entry level filters but they achieve 95% efficiency at 20 microns, the same as a Wix or Napa gold. It might not look pretty but hard to beat for a 3-5k oil change interval.

All that being said I still prefer the Fram Ultra or tough guard and usually recommend tough guard filters for short intervals due to the higher 99% efficiency ratings.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
And everyone here who says anything positive about any Fram filter is obviously a "compensated shill" or a "fanboy". But anyone who talks positive about any other filter isn't ... ok, sure. So much entertainment ...
crackmeup2.gif

Is it OK to use the OCOD and Michelin tires?

Just asking!
smirk.gif

Fram bashing has gone on for YEARS....My dads sports track saw nothing but the fram orange can of death most of its life. It now has 191000 miles without issues. I currently am running a tough guard on my truck (which i happen to like more than the ultra) for my oci. Tough to beat for the money imo.

Last edited:
I used to think I could buy better filters for the money but, then the "better filters" started to have holes the media. Maybe the orange Fram that I and thousands of others used for tens of millions of miles was not so bad after all, and the id10t who started the OCOD was the fool. Ed

The Fram Extra Guard oil filter is $4.64 at Walmart while the Fram Ultra is $7.94. $3.30 isn't a big enough difference in price to merit using the Extra Guard over the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: CKN
crackmeup2.gif

Just asking!
smirk.gif

Not at the same time.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: stchman
There are a LOT of people that bash Fram oil filters, they call them OCOD, junk etc.

Growing up I used Fram oil filters with no problem on my cars.

While the orange Frams appear to look cheap on the inside, do they actually do their job?

Are there any documented cases of the orange Fram filters causing engine damage?

Google "Minimopar oil filter study".

That study is a little long in the tooth and should be taken with a grain of salt. They are pleat counting and also mentioned inlet hole size as possible restrictions, which we know is not true. Lots of things have changed but it's still interesting to see.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
It's been a few months since we've had a "Are Fram filters THAT bad?" thread. I guess we were due.
+1

Originally Posted By: robo339
Yeaaaa but you can get better for the same amount of money

Maybe for the Extra Guard (but that is debatable), but not for the Fram Ultra.

The Fram Ultra has been shown to easily go the 15k it is rated for. I spent $7.50 each for mine (package of 4 for $30 shipped in sealed boxes). If I choose to only go 10k then that is $3.75 per the 5k that most "cheap" oil filters are designed for. If I go 15k then it's only $2.50 per 5k...now which is the "better filter for the same price"?

But lets say the cheap filter can go 7.5k...then if I go 15k on the FU I am still paying the same price but getting a higher efficiency and better flowing filter (due to the full synthetic media).

Either way the better filter for the same price or less is the Fram Ultra.

And there's nothing wrong with the cardboard/fiber end caps.People still scream when they see them. The biggest problems I had with the PH43 and PH8A was the anti-drain back valve didn't seal so the engine rattled when started.

That's why I stopped using them.

There were some documented media failures, hence the term OCOD. I'd stay away from the orange can, Microgard, & STP oil filters. Cheap components....

Originally Posted By: CKN
crackmeup2.gif

Just asking!
smirk.gif

What do tires and oil fitlers have in comman?

I dont get the question..

but yes you can use fram oil filters with michelin tires.

As a new member I am surprised this hasn't been established already.

Even I know the filtration % of their top filters (99% at 20 microns) and realize they lead the market.

Did they have some lesser quality before? Yes but it was well blown out of proportion in response over the internet.

Fram Oil Filters
01.gif

Next!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back