Ban on petrol and diesel cars due in 2030 may have to be scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't understand how safe and reliable nuclear power nowadays really is. They just think of Chernobyl and Fukushima and think all nuclear power is terrible for the environment and personnel safety. Meanwhile there are literally thousands of people who sleep right next to a nuclear reactor every night in the Navy. There are also less and less people who have the ability to and are willing to work at a nuke site.

It is very safe but there are people in this world that hate the west and would like nothing more than to destroy a nuke plant, if this plant goes up all much of Europe and more will be effected.
My son has a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering and from conversations I have had with him for the USA to build the necessary stable infrastructure for an all electric society country wide could take many decades, with the main constraint being funding. The county is broke and credit cards maxed out and it is getting worse by the day.

It is very safe but there are people in this world that hate the west and would like nothing more than to destroy a nuke plant, if this plant goes up all much of Europe and more will be effected.
My son has a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering and from conversations I have had with him for the USA to build the necessary stable infrastructure for an all electric society country wide could take many decades, with the main constraint being funding. The county is broke and credit cards maxed out and it is getting worse by the day.

The country is not broke. The money has shifted upwards.
You son is spot on. We need to get moving.

The country is not broke.

Yes it is. Family debt is at an all time high. While personal savings is at an all time low. Banks are collapsing at a rate not seen since the Great Depression. And there is more to come..... A lot more.

People today own nothing, and have debt on most everything that sits on their property (Assuming they own any). 8 to 10 years to pay off a car today is not uncommon. People are constantly moving, chasing employment.

And each and every time they do, they start over on a new 30 year mortgage. Most will never live in a paid for home. How the hell are they going to retire? Prices are rising due to skyrocketing inflation. And that same inflation is eating up what little savings people do have.

Our infrastructure is falling apart. Roads, bridges, sewer and water systems, are in disrepair. And there is no money allocated to rebuild ANY of it.

This country, both its citizens and the government, have been kicking this financial can down the road for far too long. While living way beyond both their, and the government's financial means . And the end of that road is very near. And there is going to be one hell of a wreck when we get there.

Last edited:
Yes it is. Family debt is at an all time high. While personal savings is at an all time low. Banks are collapsing at a rate not seen since the Great Depression. And there is more to come..... A lot more.

People today own nothing, and have debt on most everything that sits on their property (Assuming they own any). 8 to 10 years to pay off a car today is not uncommon. People are constantly moving, chasing employment.

And each and every time they do, they start over on a new 30 year mortgage. Most will never live in a paid for home. How the hell are they going to retire? Prices are rising due to skyrocketing inflation. And that same inflation is eating up what little savings people do have.

Our infrastructure is falling apart. Roads, bridges, sewer and water systems, are in disrepair. And there is no money allocated to rebuild ANY of it.

This country, both its citizens and the government, have been kicking this financial can down the road for far too long. While living way beyond both their, and the government's financial means . And the end of that road is very near. And there is going to be one hell of a wreck when we get there.
You are making my point. The money has shifted upwards. You might be able to guess how I know.

My brother retired from Con-Ed last year. Many people in the know about the Five Boroughs electric grid laughed when asked how long it would take to get the NY grid ready for the Green New Pipe Dream. Some said even 25-30 years was a joke.
If you asked GM, Ford, Toyota 10 years ago can you make a profitable EV they’d say the same thing .

Then Tesla comes along and makes it happen makes that 10 year happen.

If someone or something want it to happen it will. Retirees are not the people to ask for change or pivots.

If someone or something want it to happen it will. Retirees are not the people to ask for change or pivots.
My brother retired, not the guys he spoke with, they have at least another 10-15 years before they retire. Oh and where is all this money coming from, that was another question which got some laughs.

It's always been like that. Today it's called, "The Bigger Idiot Theory". Not, "Wealth Distribution", or whatever. The majority of the peons are, and have always been broke.

Nothing has "shifted" anywhere. The peons are just borrowing and spending more.... As is the government. And the banks are quickly becoming the bigger idiots in all of it.

So what would you do redistribute wealth?
Probably not a good topic for BITOG. But let's just say I find all work honorable and education is key. I would like to see all the Community Colleges free for those who do the work. For example, our local JC's have well received Nursing, Mechanics and other 2 year technical degrees. There is a Nursing shortage and I want some nurses available when I need them. DeAnza College, where I attended has an impacted mechanics department that just added EV tech to service the many Teslas and such running around here.

I am more than willing to pay for public education for those who choose to go and do the requisite work. Just my 2 cents.
It seems to me there are 2 kinds of people. The people who think the world is ending and those who choose to get into action.
Crying never worked for me. Pull up your big boy pants and get back in the ring.

Last edited:
There is a tendency to think that governments are fools to believe their policies on EV's are going to work in the declared time frame when we can see that they are not.

What we might be missing in this befuddled government approach to controlling our choice of personal transport is the hidden agenda, which is they don't want it to work out 100% successfully. The real agenda is an outcome that doesn't work and therefore limits our freedom by forcing us to drive less.

California passed some similar legislaton that ban's the sale of gasoline powered vehicles by 2035...
Actually, no such legislation has been passed. The hoopla about California banning ICE cars is a bureaucratic ruling by the California Air Resources Board and an executive order by a governor who will be long out of office by the time it is proposed to be in effect. As such, it is meaningless virtue signaling. That's why Cali is not starting a "Manhattan Project" to upgrade it's grid and provide more power sources.

Probably not a good topic for BITOG. But let's just say I find all work honorable and education is key. I would like to see all the Community Colleges free for those who do the work. For example, our local JC's have well received Nursing, Mechanics and other 2 year technical degrees. There is a Nursing shortage and I want some nurses available when I need them. DeAnza College, where I attended has an impacted mechanics department that just added EV tech to service the many Teslas and such running around here.

I am more than willing to pay for public education for those who choose to go and do the requisite work. Just my 2 cents.
It seems to me there are 2 kinds of people. The people who think the world is ending and those who choose to get into action.
Crying never worked for me. Pull up your big boy pants and get back in the ring.
Are you sure you name isn't Monty hall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back