Ban on petrol and diesel cars due in 2030 may have to be scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which I don't understand. It really is the answer.
People don't understand how safe and reliable nuclear power nowadays really is. They just think of Chernobyl and Fukushima and think all nuclear power is terrible for the environment and personnel safety. Meanwhile there are literally thousands of people who sleep right next to a nuclear reactor every night in the Navy. There are also less and less people who have the ability to and are willing to work at a nuke site.

Anyone see the trend to disguise exhaust outlets? We went from having fake dual exhausts going as far as having an extra muffler using a y-pipe 35 years ago, to a few cars having a true dual exhaust, to now having plastic blanks made to cover up where exhaust would be. The fat lady singing this is the new CR-V. But I saw it first on an Audi SQ5 around 2019. This fakeness is just something I don't like. I say it's cool to have a true dual exhaust, it was in 1960, it is in 2023. my .02
Thats a good observation. We just purchased a 2023 Chevy Equinox and I had to get down on my hands and knees to tell where the exhaust was. The pipe is turned downward and is flush with the horizontal surface of the bumper making it invisible from the rear.

Reactions: 4WD
The problem is these fools have fast become their own worst enemy. They all embrace the idea of EV's to the fullest. But at the same time, they all despise most every means available to manufacture the electricity they so desperately need, in order to make their pie in the sky, pipe dream happen.

They hate nuclear power. They also hate the consumption of any fossil fuels to be consumed for the manufacturing of any electricity. Be it coal, oil, or natural gas.

Many hate the utilization of any type of hydroelectric application for power production. Because they believe it destroys the fish population. Along with other delicate ecosystems in the lakes and rivers where this type of power production is applied.

So what's left? Solar and wind have been more than proven not to work in an application of this magnitude. The Sun doesn't always shine, and the wind doesn't always blow.

It stands to reason that people and employers are NEVER going to accept that people can't get to work, or anywhere else they need to go to productively function, because it's calm outside, with heavy overcast for several days. So where does that leave all of this?
Most annoying to me is that massive batteries “will fill that gap”
What gap - the giant holes in the earth from making large batteries?
Obviously an EV needs a battery like anything mobile - a home or business just needs reliable power …

People are living in fantasy land if they think the entirety of the U.S. can shift infrastructure and electrify every manufactured vehicle within 7 years.
Yes. But, you do know article is about UK? Did you actually clicked on it?
Only few states said they plan to move to 2035 deadline. States part of CARB. And many, like CO, opted out.

There's a flip side to this. You have EV owners who pitch zero emissions, at the tailpipe, lol. Then completely deny or don't care about the pollution in getting the raw materials needed for their batteries, or the use of coal, gas, etc needed for the extra electrical demand placed on the grid so they can plug in at night. Not everyone who owns an EV has solar panels or a windmill [lol] in their yard.
That's simply not true at all.
People don't understand how safe and reliable nuclear power nowadays really is. They just think of Chernobyl and Fukushima and think all nuclear power is terrible for the environment and personnel safety. Meanwhile there are literally thousands of people who sleep right next to a nuclear reactor every night in the Navy. There are also less and less people who have the ability to and are willing to work at a nuke site.
Nuclear is too expensive.

Obviously an EV needs a battery like anything mobile - a home or business just needs reliable power …
Is it any worse than the hundreds of abandoned oil wells in Texas ?

Republic of Texas. Yee..haw

What about holes left by sucking out oil? Just asking bcs. we are doing it more than hundred years.

The world has gone crazy, but we already know that. Social Media rules.
6 years ago I read a book about a coming of age crisis.

Yesterday I saw something saying that today's 12th grader, is like an 8th grader of days gone by.

These 12th graders are tomorrow's politicians, VPs, managing directors, foremen, etc.

Only few states said they plan to move to 2035 deadline. States part of CARB. And many, like CO, opted out.
I read the article. Just making a point that people will take that legislation and try it here in the US where it won't work.

What about holes left by sucking out oil? Just asking bcs. we are doing it more than hundred years.
Little known fact for you and the other ^^^ - both the Astrodome and NRG stadium sit over a former oilfield …

Do that with mining …

That's simply not true at all.
I've participated, granted briefly in those discussions. There are plenty of EV owner's who don't have solar panels, I walk a lot. I see a Tesla in a driveway on one of the routes, plugged in, no solar on the roof. The windmill comment was sarcasm, and also true. Nuclear is the way to go imo.

Actually, nuclear is not expensive if done properly. France is good example.
It would be ridiculously expensive compared to what Americans are willing to pay. Remember the US currently has almost double the number of reactors as France and would have to triple the current fleet to fully cover current electrical demand. France is already looking at adding 6 new reactors for around €55B. We built 2 for $30B.

It was estimated it would cost Germany €1.6T to build 80 nuclear plants. The US would have to build around 200 new nuclear plants. The Anti-EV crowd would have a field day with that cost figure.

California is larger than the UK both economically, and in geographical size. Despite of having 25 million fewer people..... And there is no way California will ever achieve it's 2035 "deadline" of banning the sale of ICE powered vehicles. The UK has no chance whatsoever of doing the same.

And they wouldn't be able to keep them all charged even if they did. It would be a disaster. And California is the leader when it comes to manufacturing their own disasters.

From homelessness, to illegal invaders, to squatters, to paying reparations with money they don't have, to an electrical grid they've allowed to all but self destruct.

They set the standards for creating their own problems that other states try desperately to avoid.

California is larger than the UK both economically, and in geographical size. Despite of having 25 million fewer people..... And there is no way California will ever achieve it's 2035 "deadline" of banning the sale of ICE powered vehicles. The UK has no chance whatsoever of doing the same.

And they wouldn't be able to keep them all charged even if they did. It would be a disaster. And California is the leader when it comes to manufacturing their own disasters.

From homelessness, to illegal invaders, to squatters, to paying reparations with money they don't have, to an electrical grid they've allowed to all but self destruct.

They set the standards for creating their own problems that other states try desperately to avoid.
Tell us what really bothers you.

There's a flip side to this. You have EV owners who pitch zero emissions, at the tailpipe, lol. Then completely deny or don't care about the pollution in getting the raw materials needed for their batteries, or the use of coal, gas, etc needed for the extra electrical demand placed on the grid so they can plug in at night. Not everyone who owns an EV has solar panels or a windmill [lol] in their yard.

This is the fallacy of EV's that pushes me away. IMO it is a massive transfer of wealth not the carbon-neutral message pushed forward. We need a more viable solution and to date we simply don't have it. The lack of transparency of the issue) have turned it into an ideological battle that divides. Nothing constructive comes from that.

This is the fallacy of EV's that pushes me away. IMO it is a massive transfer of wealth not the carbon-neutral message pushed forward. We need a more viable solution and to date we simply don't have it. The lack of transparency of the issue) have turned it into an ideological battle that divides. Nothing constructive comes from that.
I agree.

Reactions: JC1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back