Ball Hex Sockets - what do you use them for?

1678989367950.png

I have a new set of these - what are they used for?

Hex head bolts are sketchy enough as is - I can't imagine using one of these to break one loose.

They appear to be hex-head drivers that are beveled so they can be used at an off-set/angle. I have a set of those based on a T-handle design.

So you can get a hex bolt on a bit of an angle. Super convenient for tight fitting places - but I would not try to use them on something that needs to be super tight.

The regular hex wrenches that has the ball on the long end, and the regular and the short end are perfect - because you have both available.

I guess I can see a use for a set of long ball hex sockets. But short ones? I'm a little skeptical.

I'll probably throw these up for sale at some point.

The only place I needed to use ball end sockets was on the upper manifold bolts (runners) on the IROC.

The Craftsman sets I have have a shallow relief below the ball end. It limits the angle that the ball end can swing but it doesn't compromise the strength if you need to apply torque.

I guess I can see a use for a set of long ball hex sockets. But short ones? I'm a little skeptical.

I'll probably throw these up for sale at some point.
You can always make a short reach socket longer, by stacking on extensions. But it's hard to make a too long hex shorter--well, you can, but only once. And in this case, maybe not even.

Maybe they have some use... break loose the bolt using a standard hex key, then if access is tight and you need 3' of extensions to come in from some other angle, then the wobble aspect could be useful. I'm thinking, bell housing bolts on a traverse RWD transmission. Or any other low access location. Still have to break it loose somehow, but once broken loose, zip it out with whatever is cobbled together, as it's all low torque now.

On a T handle these are are nice for various projects, I see lots of them at work, but automotive? not sure about "need".

Attachments

• Carburetor B&S 60100.jpg
    Carburetor B&S 60100.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Love 'em in basic "L" keys at my lathe, mill, and for bike work. Don't use them a lot for automotive and a square drive socket style almost encourages using them for higher torque situations where they're not appropriate.

The L keys make sense because the short leg is square cut and the long end is ball.

On the flip side, if anybody has found a use for short ball hex sockets, by all means please post up. It would be good to find out if there's a use for them.

Good for accessing certain Allen bolts at an angle.

I can’t see how short ball end Allens would be very useful. I have a set of Bondhus long ones and they’re good.

The intake on an OM603 comes to mind as a need.

1293EE63-C78D-4821-A344-6127E9F42595.jpeg

Each of the six intake points has two Allen bolts holding it to the head, and access straight on is much harder than a slight offset.

Straight on, I’d suspect that the ball would shear off before anything else. At an angle there probably could be some potential for rounding out, but that’s why you always clean out the holes, and apply inward force. IME, if an Allen is going to round out, it’s going to round out.

I have a set of long ones that come in handy for motorcycle work. You would use these on a angle in a tight access situation. No reason to use them if you have room for a regular one. Since the effective area is so small they will not handle much torque so they would usually only be used for running the fastener out/in. Breaking it loose or final tightening would be done with a stubby or cut off L wrench.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a need for them in automotive but that probably depends on what your working on? Maybe some manufactures use a lot of Allen head bolts?

Back