5-Point Socket Source

Ford was using a small 5–point head on fasteners for the idle air control housing on its cars several years ago. Few would notice because no one would ever disassemble those. These might be more common than you'd think.

For clarity, this is what's under the floor inside the rear of the vehicle:
20231216_173146_resized_annotated.jpg

There are two missing tools in that tool tray; a key for wheel locks (don't have them) and a tow hook.

I might add one of these along with some other tools.

Yes, the spare is raised and lowered with the 5-point tool - we have this on our Highlander. You can see it here around 50 seconds in...

Having the socket would make things quick and easy, but I did find a page where someone claimed Toyota switched to the 5-point because people were using impact guns on the previous standard bolt and were tearing up the mechanism (take that for what it is worth).

Harder to steal as well … ?

Just be careful you don't snap that cable off,if you use a cordless tool on it.The 5 point is the manufacturers way of preventing that as the spare tire in the compartment,not secured is considered a safety issue

The hoist is designed to keep the tire in place should the cable fail. Typical tire hoist for a Toyota, P/N 51900-0E053

Untitled_35.jpg

Link to Patent No. 640600:

I'm looking for a 5-point (penta), square drive socket, one that measures 23mm (the mating bolt head has JIS identification). The only 5-point sockets I can find so far are "common" industrial 51/64" and 13/16".

Anyone know of a source for different sized 5-point sockets or is this bolt head design limited to a narrow range of sizes?
I'm looking for a 5-point (penta), square drive socket, one that measures 23mm (the mating bolt head has JIS identification). The only 5-point sockets I can find so far are "common" industrial 51/64" and 13/16".

Anyone know of a source for different sized 5-point sockets or is this bolt head design limited to a narrow range of sizes?
McMaster.com

Grey Pneumatic has 5 point sockets. Excellent quality and selection. Gpsocket.com

You can search for individuals or sets. Once you have the part number google search it to find a reseller.

Back