5-Point Socket Source

I'm looking for a 5-point (penta), square drive socket, one that measures 23mm (the mating bolt head has JIS identification). The only 5-point sockets I can find so far are "common" industrial 51/64" and 13/16".

Anyone know of a source for different sized 5-point sockets or is this bolt head design limited to a narrow range of sizes?

Bolts with 5–point heads are also used at correctional facilities (prisons) for bolting storm drain guards and the like. The sockets aren't "illegal", but they are hard to find.

Look for 10–point sockets. You should be able to get what you need with an online search. Snap-On used to have sets, but I don't know about now.

I always wondered if the spring-loaded pin sockets would work, at least if the fasteners aren't real tight?

Most top out at 3/4 but they do make one that goes to 32mm

edit: I only mention because often the access plates for water discos aren't really tight at all

Here is one that I found on eBay (seller is in Great Britain):

23 mm Penta Socket
Thank you! This is exactly the application I wanted this socket for.

Toyota socket:
20231214_163828.jpg

The ebay description included the words, "Designed to release the spare wheels".
Might this be part of a security setup for an externally carried spare?

Reactions: D60
Penta Head bolts are also used on underground power transformer cabinets , and various related enclosures . I still have one from the old days . It was made by Snap On .

OK, so what is Toyota doing in 5-point land? You can't just leave us hanging...

The ebay description included the words, "Designed to release the spare wheels".
Might this be part of a security setup for an externally carried spare?

Yes, the spare is raised and lowered with the 5-point tool - we have this on our Highlander. You can see it here around 50 seconds in...

Having the socket would make things quick and easy, but I did find a page where someone claimed Toyota switched to the 5-point because people were using impact guns on the previous standard bolt and were tearing up the mechanism (take that for what it is worth).

I'm looking for a 5-point (penta), square drive socket, one that measures 23mm (the mating bolt head has JIS identification). The only 5-point sockets I can find so far are "common" industrial 51/64" and 13/16".

Anyone know of a source for different sized 5-point sockets or is this bolt head design limited to a narrow range of sizes?
What is this bolt on? Never mind. I see it’s for a spare tire.

From reading this I just realized that we have the same thing on our 2004 Sienna. Originally, the spare was lowered using the lug wrench (the spare is located underneath and is lowered in front of the passenger middle seat). Years ago during one of the van's service appointments, they changed the lowering mechanism to use the above pictured socket, which I never noticed was a 5 point. So now there's no way to lower the spare without that special socket. Bastages.

Spare tire removal on the Highlander? Why? So no one will steal your temporary spare?
I was gonna say the same thing but apparently to discourage impact use as stated above. I'm stubborn enough I'd weld a standard hex on top of it just because. And I've literally done that on my SuperDuty tire winch so I can just use a 9/16" socket

Back