Bad smell in nose/taste following illness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, before anyone asks, no I didn't go to a doctor because my current job does not include benefits, and until my dad starts his civvy job, I am not covered under his. Soon though.

Anyway, I was sick with something resembling bronchitis a week or so ago, it went through our house. I had fatigue, chest congestion, cough, mild grade fever, sinus congestion, the works. I was taking Ibuprofen/Sudafed and Mucinex DM to help. I was feeling much better, until yesterday morning.

I woke up, and had this weird smell in my nose. It's gotten worse, it's like a sickly sweet, chemical-y smell. When I smell something else (say, rubbing alcohol, or walking into subway) the normal smell gets replaced by this new, bad smell, but with much higher intensity. Walking into subway earlier almost had me gagging. This has also impacted my appetite, as everything I try to eat takes on this awful taste as well. The only stuff that seems to not be really affected is Coffee. I managed to choke down half a bacon egg and cheese flatbread earlier, but that's really all I've eaten other than dunkin dounuts coffee since yesterday morning. And I'm not even really that hungry.

Noone else smells anything either. For the most part I don't really have any other symptoms anymore. Mild at worst sinus pressure in my forehead, but that's about it. On my grandmother (former nurse) suggestion, I picked up a nasal irrigation kit with saline packets. By far the weirdest thing I've ever done, but it seems to help for a little while.

From what I'm reading, it seems like either sinusitis or an actual sinus infection. I'm going to go to the doctor as soon as it's cost effective for me to do so, but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions/ideas as to what I can do? I'm not even hungry and can barely eat anything due to the awful smell and taste it gives everything. :<

I like you're grandmother's suggestion. I use a neti pot all the time. I never, I mean never go to the Dr for this sort of thing. Nurse the symptoms and you'll be well and stronger for it.

probably a severe sinus infection, should go to a DR. and get antibiotics. you could try one of the express care places.. should be under 100$

Severe allergies can also cause the membranes?tissues? inside the nose and sinus cavity to swell which causes a drainage problem and it gets infected easily.

Disclaimer: I am 100% not a dr.. please go see one.

This is kinda gross but when you blow your nose.. what color is it..
Clear is good, yellow is kinda bad, green even worse.

Also: do you have any dental problems/issues?

Hot shower or breathing in hot water vapor no hotter than 115F or so can temporarily help.

I battled very bad sinus problems for 10 years or so..
finally started using flonase.. which is bad and has side effects.. but no sinus infections 4-5x a year, since starting it.

Last edited:
Its likely infection, I battle with allergies, and get colds and sinus infections pretty often in the winter. The best thing I have found is sudafed, the REAL stuff that you have to ask for, and sign for from behind the counter. Neti-pots are good, be careful though... the last few times I have used one I ended up with water in my middle ear and it made things worse.. if you are very stuffy I would hold off on the neti-pot. I also like to relax with a long steamy shower whenever I am sick, it should also help with sinuses.

Been battling sinuses for years.

I make my own saline solution on an as needs basis, about a teaspoon of salt (Himalayan at present, I make a saturated brine of Crystals, and add some to warm water as needed. A little bicarb (alkaline), and a little baby shampoo (surfactant). Pour into cupped hand, and inhale with face tilted down.

Big guns is bad sinus pressur at change of season, and Cayenne pepper, a pinch snorted up each nostril (careful), or if suspect an infection, 50:50 cayenne and garlic powder, ground in a mortar/pestle to a talc like consistency,..it WILL clear mucous, and you will feel pressure abate very quickly.

But if I had the bad smell thing (which I've not), I think I'd get a second opinion

I will tell you what I did to help rid myself of a sinus infection.
I ate a habanero. My mouth was hot for hours after eating the pepper. But it completely drained my sinus's.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I will tell you what I did to help rid myself of a sinus infection.
I ate a habanero. My mouth was hot for hours after eating the pepper. But it completely drained my sinus's.

This plus garlic and a lot of fluids can indeed help.

It does sound like sinusitis, and the time I had the same symptoms, mine was severe.

The Neti pot with nasal decongestant can definitely help, but you have to use the pot a bit actively, not just relying on gravity, to help hydrate and break up some of the bad clogs.

Still, probably doesn't make up for the need to see a dr for this.

...and if you do use the Neti pot, for the love of all that is good, use good, sanitized water. People have died or been left comatose doing Neti pot with straight tap water. (Not that I think you're that dumb -- but it bears underlining the importance of that)

If it were me, I'd suspect a sinus infection; a bacterial bloom up in those sinus cavities. Most of the times when I've developed a funky smell in the nose, that's what it turned out to be. Then I'd go see a doctor and he'd probably prescribe a course of antibiotics.

I had the same thing happen to me last year. I got sick, I felt better, then suddenly my sinuses started acting up. Also one of my ears "closed", where it felt like I needed to pop my ear for like 5 days.

Then one day I was blowing my nose and the mucus came out very orange. I did a google search and my symptoms were all indicative of a sinus infection. A couple days later everything started going away on it's own.

I'm not a doctor, but your condition sounds so similar to what I experienced that I'd guess it's a sinus infection. I'd suggest going to one of those express medical places. They even have some inside of drug stores now.

I went to the walgreens walk I'm clinic with a nurse practitioner, and she pretty much came to the same conclusion, probably a sinus infection, and prescribed me augmentin, as well as continue the Sudafed and saline rinses. And it didn't cost me a fortune either. $90 for the visit and $50 for the anti biotic.

Sinus infections aren't anything to play around with!

Get well soon!

I had something similar happen a few years ago. I get tonsilitis from time to time. They need to come out - but have read too many bad things that happen after tonsil surgery. I had a tonsil infection and on the left side it was extremely swollen. Nothing tasted right and I had an odd taste at all times.

Hurt like a @#$@#@ too.

On the interstate, while going to a job interview it ... burst ... My mouth filled with nasty pus stuff. All I had was iced coffee. Pulled over on the side of the road and rinsed out with iced coffee.

After that - the odd taste was gone as was the pain. Strange stuff!

If you can't afford to pay an Urgent Care, see if you qualify for a community based free clinic or health department near you. Some have a sliding scale, so you might have to pay some but it is an option. Lots of free clinics have night/weekend hours since they depend on volunteer providers.

You need to see a Doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back