Bad Hemi lifters!!

I have a friend with a 5.7 hemi I think 2007, that just had lifter failure and it took out the cam. He had 119k. He did have a lot of idling, like an hour or so at a time. So there may be something to the prolonged idling and lifter oiling/failure.
In the various HEMI groups I am on, it seems like most of these trucks get sold/traded by 150K due to some sort of major mechanical failure - whether it is the cam/lifters, trans, rear end or something else. I've concluded that reman engines and trans for these trucks are so inexpensive compared to the imports that it is an issue that I will live with, if it ever becomes one.

Well something is causing it. My Jeep you guys love to hate with it's flat tappet cam still has it's lobes.
As indicated by the OP (who is a Stellantis dealer tech), it's a materials issue with the lifter QC, it's why GM is having a similar problem with their AFM engines. Keep in mind, the vast, VAST majority of HEMI's never experience this failure.

I asked one of my mechanic buddies at my dealership about it and he said it happens, but is pretty rare. He'd also never had to do them on an SRT, even though we know that there have been SRT's that have had the issue (same lifters).

As indicated by the OP (who is a Stellantis dealer tech), it's a materials issue with the lifter QC, it's why GM is having a similar problem with their AFM engines. Keep in mind, the vast, VAST majority of HEMI's never experience this failure.

I asked one of my mechanic buddies at my dealership about it and he said it happens, but is pretty rare. He'd also never had to do them on an SRT, even though we know that there have been SRT's that have had the issue (same lifters).
Exactly. Granted it’s a tiny sample size, but I have 2 friends who needed new cams at around 150,000 miles, other friends are just fine with no signs of issues. One went 100k on the factory cam but making ~500whp thanks to his whipple supercharger…. He ripped that engine apart to turn it into a 6.4 with forged internals though 🤤

Exhaust manifolds though… tick tick tick

I would say its only a non issue if it doesn't affect you. I have a neighbor who had his Ram truck engine apart (circa 2017-2018-2019?) two times for lifter trouble. After the second time, the dealer finally gave in and gave him a whole new engine to fix it. This was before the truck had 10K miles on it.
That sounds more like a block issue , than a lifter issues.....I have yet to see one at low mileage. Do they have issues ...yep!! Is it a big probelm? no. And I'm not a Chrysler fan boy.....look at my sig to see what I drive.

That sounds more like a block issue , than a lifter issues.....I have yet to see one at low mileage. Do they have issues ...yep!! Is it a big probelm? no. And I'm not a Chrysler fan boy.....look at my sig to see what I drive.
This was about a year ago, but he described it to me clearly. The valve train came apart and destroyed the upper end. After having it apart twice, Ram did a goodwill gesture of replacing the engine to qualm his fears.
I have nothing against Ram/Fiat trucks. But everybody makes a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning truck.

The GM V8s have lifter issues as well, more so than the FCA units, and it appears to be seeping into the new Duramax (2017 and up). Second one I have see now sub 50k mile with a wiped cam/bent pushrods/lifters fell apart.

actually, they sell "LS" lifters as problem solving lifters to suckers :) They just machine the top and go "Hey we fixed it".. LS lifters have a tiny hole to pressurize up top quicker... Uncle Tony is a clueless click baiter...He jumped on the bandwagon of youtubers.. He did zero research on modern lubrication systems.

Back