Another Hemi bites the dust.....

Have you ever driven a Fiat. They are the most god awful things on the road. Fiat’s involvement in anything is a guarantee to make it worse/ cheaper.
Driven? I've OWNED half a dozen modern Fiats and would take one over a late model Audi where you have to remove the engine if you're replacing anything more than the spark plugs.

005.JPG

002.jpg

005.jpg

01.JPG

002.jpg

Driven? I've OWNED half a dozen modern Fiats and would take one over a late model Audi where you have to remove the engine if you're replacing anything more than the spark plugs.

What are these repairs that are needing to be done that are requiring engine removal? What failures are Audi having?

It’s one thing to list a process in the repair manual should it ever be needed and another for that repair to actually need to be completed.

Out of all the manufacturers I’ve worked for VAG has by far the lowest amount of engines needing repair.

Come over to Europe and ask a mechanic who has worked on all the different makes and models like I have and most will put Fiat/ Alfa at the bottom for build quality followed by Citroen/ Peugeot and Renault. They make disposable vehicles with a 8-9 year life span.

Audi’s current weakness has been software due to (they say) Covid and software engineers working from home and not communicating with each other.

I have a soft spot for Mopars, but with the cost cutting and engines being made in MX just to save union labor kind of does it for me. I have a 2018 Jeep Cherokee and it's been flawless, though. It was at its time the most American car you could buy but sadly they're canceling it supposedly along with the Belvedere plant.

Sorry, there is an art to accurately communicating sarcasm on the interweb and that wasn't it.
Nope but a few posts later it was clear as he replied.

Reading comprehension and reading the entire thread before replying is also a lost art.

Second that, the owners manual for my '68 Dodge Charger [440 4v] I remember came with a 6 month warranty and explicitly said ~ 426 ci Hemi was designed for supervised closed course "acceleration trials" and came with NO warranty

My '66 Mustang IIRC came with 6 months B2B and 12 months powertrain (289 HiPO only came with 30 days)
I remember young guys buying those muscle cars and getting on them right away. No break in. It was so much fun they couldn't be bothered with putting an easy 1k miles on them. Many of them smoked going down the road.

Honestly, is that any easier?
Yes if you drop the engine the gearbox comes too so then you have to drop it off to do the timing chain work, you can take a gearbox out on most models in a couple of hours, you get 16 on average for a engine remove and refit.
Is that supposed to be a big improvement?
Come on, everyone with any common sense knows it’s a big difference.

None of the current engines seem to have any inherent weaknesses with the chains, unless you do what one owner did to his £80,000 SQ8 with the 4.0 TDI and go 23,500 miles on an oil chain. Yeah that caused an elongated timing chain that warranty did not cover.

Back