Another Hemi bites the dust.....

This one is a 22 truck, with 2k on it. Valve broke off at keeper groove. Piston in pieces, rod broke in 3 pieces. Second one in 3 months, last one was a 21 6.4 in a Car, also low miles. It also dropped valve but never looked close to see where valve broke on that one. Don't remember last time I saw this. Also starting to see a noticeable uptick in valvetrain issues in 19 up 5.7s. Have seen a half dozen with worn ball ends at rocker end on pushrod/wear in rocker. All lower miles with proper oil changes. First one, pulled apart for cam/lifters, then couldn't see anything wrong.....then looked closer. Never seen that before. Quality drop from covid shutdowns or cost cutting? Who knows. Can see stem of valve still stuck in retainer with keepers in pic. And for the record , thats not my nasty hands, i'm a clean freak and wear gloves!!:LOL:
Is engine milkshake from failed oil coolers becoming a thing as well? There seem to be 2-3 posts of that issue, every month, lately in the Ram FB groups. Mostly on the 2019 trucks at higher mileage.

What platform are these hemi failures in? Car, truck, 5.7, 6.4, scatpack, hellcat? Is there a common denominator other than "hemi"?

This one is a 22 truck, with 2k on it. Valve broke off at keeper groove. Piston in pieces, rod broke in 3 pieces. Second one in 3 months, last one was a 21 6.4 in a Car, also low miles. It also dropped valve but never looked close to see where valve broke on that one. Don't remember last time I saw this. Also starting to see a noticeable uptick in valvetrain issues in 19 up 5.7s. Have seen a half dozen with worn ball ends at rocker end on pushrod/wear in rocker. All lower miles with proper oil changes. First one, pulled apart for cam/lifters, then couldn't see anything wrong.....then looked closer. Never seen that before. Quality drop from covid shutdowns or cost cutting? Who knows. Can see stem of valve still stuck in retainer with keepers in pic. And for the record , thats not my nasty hands, i'm a clean freak and wear gloves!!:LOL:

View attachment 154058View attachment 154059View attachment 154060View attachment 154057
Team Zero, do you work in a dealership or a private shop? Makes you wonder, if it is a rare incidence and you happened to see 2 of them or if it is one of those things that is going to show up routinely over a certain production run? Like anything like that, it could be confined to a few days production and once MOPAR starts getting warrantable failure they look into it and figure out where it began and where it stops or it may be worse than that.

regarding clean hands, you must be part of the current generation of mechanics who wear gloves. I'm from the older generation of mechanics who all have grease stained walls at home around the light switches where we sweat out the grease and carbon at home on the walls and other surfaces we touch.. I bet you dont wash your hands in the parts cleaner either. :)

Team Zero, do you work in a dealership or a private shop? Makes you wonder, if it is a rare incidence and you happened to see 2 of them or if it is one of those things that is going to show up routinely over a certain production run? Like anything like that, it could be confined to a few days production and once MOPAR starts getting warrantable failure they look into it and figure out where it began and where it stops or it may be worse than that.

regarding clean hands, you must be part of the current generation of mechanics who wear gloves. I'm from the older generation of mechanics who all have grease stained walls at home around the light switches where we sweat out the grease and carbon at home on the walls and other surfaces we touch.. I bet you dont wash your hands in the parts cleaner either. :)
Something like this unless there's a class action suit we'll never know what they know.

Once they figured out 3.6 oil cooler failures were rampant they looked to minimize expense by saying "just replace a couple o-rings."

They all do it: think GM AFM. Step 1 was change the oil and plugs and do an "oil consumption test." It makes the courts think they're trying but it was really a stall tactic and the threshold for passing the test was arguably set way too lax.

Best case here owners will get warranty coverage on the engine-only extended a little. They'll try to say original purchaser only, hoping XX% are sold as used vehicles before the motor craters.

Maybe the drivers beating on them? I'm surprised Chrysler even gives an engine warranty on Hellcat or higher engines. I remember reading the owners manual for a 1970 Dodge and it specifically mentions there is no warranty on the hemi engine.
That was literally over half a century ago. Dodge (as all mfrs) factors the warranty cost into the price of the vehicle. Do you really think taking a V8 vehicle from 425HP to 700HP costs $30k over the “base” vehicle? Heck no, ~$22,000+ of that is “insurance” in case the mfr has to cover warranty failures.

... . I bet you dont wash your hands in the parts cleaner either. :)
Didn't ask me but ...

45 years ago, I used to wash mine in the tire trough next to the Coats 10-10.
No GoJo then. I think it was Pax lano Sav powder. Had some grit in it - like ground up corn cobs :)

On this subject - I don't recall the marque, but I recall reading about a recall from a respected Japanese brand that had some engines dropping valves, this not to long ago.
And that's even worse since they are usually 4V pentroof heads with very small and light valves.

Those Dodge valves look like manhole covers!

I'm gonna guess that the valve stem failure was caused by valve float.
Maybe the valve spring was at the low end of tolerance for spring pressure.

I heard a fairly high level manager one time talking about a like scenario, basically we could not afford to have significantly better products and services than the competition.
When everyone is demanding lower prices and the average consumer is going to get rid of a product in a nominal amount of time anyways whether there is still usable life left or not, no they can't afford to be significantly better. Most manufacturers don't care about the secondary market because they don't see any money from it.

Is that really a good thing? Or just one of those things that people brag about because it makes the feel better about themselves.

*sulks in cancer*

That's a different failure for a late model hemi Ram for sure. Thanks for sharing this.

Nothing shocks me anymore w/ these catastrophic engine failures. Look at the broken rocker arm and odd ball head and valve train issues with the Chrysler/Ram/Jeep pentastars.

Just last night I was parked next to a late model 4-door wrangler done up with what looked like all factory fare. When the owner fired it that poor pentastar was ticking like a mofo. Owner probably has no clue what he's in for.

I loved the hemi in my 2019 Ram 1500 classic, but I only owned it from 15K to 65K miles.

Reactions: hrv
Is that really a good thing? Or just one of those things that people brag about because it makes the feel better about themselves.

*sulks in cancer*
I used to clean my hands in bearing grease, then wipe it off with a shop rag. I remember my Chem Prof. telling me, "Like dissolves Like".

But I also remember wiping off my hands with a red shop rag after packing wheel bearings and saying, "Wow, that stuff cleaned up my hands pretty good"
And then the Lithuim made my brain feel swell

I would agree these are more common than folks think. It is a cost thing. They are much cheaper to manufacture.

Just my $0.02
And you get better and tighter cap registration. If you are going to spin it high and hard you will want something else. Should be fine for most near-stock street driven vehicles. Most GM LS have PM rods.

I don't know what Chevy is running in that new 'Vette cammer motor, probably not PM :)

Dealer tech. Used to laugh at gloves, used to stick bare hands in pails of old nasty carb cleaner. But as I got older, dry cracked,bleeding sore hands are not fun. And I'm a clean freak anyway, so much easier to stay clean.

Back