Average new car price is $50K ? Insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Toyota exec feels average new cars prices could exceed $50,000 this year. How can anyone afford this?
The 1st new car I ever bought was my strippie 1993 Toyota 4wd PU for $14,000 all in. And that scared the heck outta me.
That stripped PU would be 30,000 in today‘s inflated dollars.

Given the huge increase in standard features between your Toyota and today’s average car, I would say that the value of content has, at worst remained the same, and it might even be cheaper.

Not far from where I live, there are ENTIRE TOWNS where the average home price is barely $50k. This bubble is going to be worse than the housing bubble, and in some ways I think it’s being encouraged by certain groups of people on purpose. When people lose their modes of transportation due to repossession and have that huge remaining balance hanging over their heads, the only way they can get around is public transportation. And that means moving into the city. Which means you’re dependent on “public” services for your existence…
Some cities have solid public transit but a lot don’t or they’re commuter lines. There’s a lot of reasons to move to a city or near one but there’s no way one’s going to be able to afford packing it up to go live in a city if one can’t afford to own a car in a rural area. (and if infrastructure is adequate, you can hopefully bike without being taken out by a distracted or angry driver - no license, no taxes, fueled by what you ate for breakfast, low cost of ownership, easy repairs, freedom!)

Another perspective on public transit is that if it’s solid, you get around and save in not owning the second-largest purchase the typical person may own and all the costs that come with it - be it taxes, insurance, fuel, maintenance/repairs, parking, bad luck. (pros/cons)

I love my car but I absolutely want transit more options in more places so elderly/uninterested/impaired/plain bad drivers can have more options to live than getting behind the wheel. (less traffic too ideally)

If we want to hunt for “certain groups” we can certainly look at the origin of “jaywalking” as a legal term and the alleged GM streetcar conspiracy. (of course subject to debate, etc. etc.)

Edit: Okay it’s more “love-hate” with my Kia but I mean that I enjoy ownership, warts and all. I forgot to also mention walking places is an option depending on locality. And also eBikes are a thing if being 100% pedal-powered is too much.

Last edited:
Not far from where I live, there are ENTIRE TOWNS where the average home price is barely $50k. This bubble is going to be worse than the housing bubble, and in some ways I think it’s being encouraged by certain groups of people on purpose. When people lose their modes of transportation due to repossession and have that huge remaining balance hanging over their heads, the only way they can get around is public transportation. And that means moving into the city. Which means you’re dependent on “public” services for your existence…
Those people are us. They still sell Mitsubishi Mirages. People don't buy them.

I liked having someone else eat the depreciation. This is getting harder with fewer plain-jane cars out there, and more competition for the used ones.

That stripped PU would be 30,000 in today‘s inflated dollars.

Given the huge increase in standard features between your Toyota and today’s average car, I would say that the value of content has, at worst remained the same, and it might even be cheaper.
Toyota also sold the little PU as a base RWD with a 5 speed manual for much less. Local dealers used to run specials for $4,999 + T&L. Probably closer to $7K MSRP, dunno for sure.
Mine was the "Deluxe" strippie 4wd with AT and slightly better interior and trim. High rent baby! The $14K I paid was out the door.

I might help my niece get a new Prius; she has the younger twins (high school) at home. Her Oddy is starting to show its age. The base Prius MSRP starts at $27,450. Try to find one anywhere near that. If I can find one, it will have floor mats and a bunch of other stuff. Then add on the $8K dealer markup.

Last edited:
A Toyota exec feels average new cars prices could exceed $50,000 this year. How can anyone afford this?
The 1st new car I ever bought was my strippie 1993 Toyota 4wd PU for $14,000 all in. And that scared the heck outta me.
Most can afford this, but most shouldn't pay this amount for a vehicle.
Depreciation, expensive insurance, thin oil, fuel dilution, higher risk of auto theft/car jacking, etc are reasons to avoid new cars (in my opinion).

I prefer to find older depreciated vehicles that I really like with luxury trim levels, and buy them for $4k to $6k, and then maintain them really well and keep them a long time.

I remember about 1990 ish a plane jane F150 RWD being $7999. I really wanted to buy one - had the cash. Went to college instead - one of my few good financial choices.

Its true car prices have been stagnant for about 15 years, but so have wages for the most part.

Car prices are up about 20% in the last 3 years. I don't think wages are. If they catch up then I guess we will be back to normal, but I don't think interest is going back to zero anytime soon.

Most can afford this, but most shouldn't pay this amount for a vehicle.
Depreciation, expensive insurance, thin oil, fuel dilution, higher risk of auto theft/car jacking, etc are reasons to avoid new cars (in my opinion).

I prefer to find older depreciated vehicles that I really like with luxury trim levels, and buy them for $4k to $6k, and then maintain them really well and keep them a long time.
I am not sure most can afford a $50K vehicle.
There are zero decent used vehicles around here for $4K to $6K. A friend recently lucked out by finding a decent 2013 Corolla S with 160K for $9,800 private party. That's as good as it gets.

There are zero decent used vehicles around here for $4K to $6K. A friend recently lucked out by finding a decent 2013 Corolla S with 160K for $9,800 private party. That's as good as it gets.
$50K at 7% for 6 years is $850/ month or about $10K per year. Most people shouldn't buy it and can't really afford it, but many will anyway.

For some reason the Toyota Corolla/Camry's and the Honda Civic/Honda Accord are really expensive as used cars.
But the Toyota and Honda minivans are really cheap, and have the 8th seat, and full luxury for a much cheaper price than the smaller 4 door sedans.

By affording a 50k vehicle, many of us could qualify for a loan or pay all cash, but most of us shouldn't as it would be a catastrophic long term financial decision. Also, the reliability of cars seems to have gone down from what I'm seeing. The fuel dilution seems to be a very scary issue, as it thins already thin oil to a point where it may not sufficiently protect an engine.

Also, when visiting a Honda Dealership recently for a sliding door repair, while waiting for the repair to be done, I went into the new car area and sat in some new cars. I really didn't like the styling. Glove boxes and storage compartments under radio were too small. Seats were not comfortable. Driving view was awkward. Visors left huge gaps where the sun would be in your eyes. Leather was not soft and silky smooth like my older Honda Odysseys, but instead was rough and cheap feeling. The backs of the leather seats weren't leather but some cheap fabric. Carpeting seemed thinner. Cars seemed cheaper made, with cheaper dashboards plastics which from what I've read tend to rattle in an annoying fashion while driving. And with very high price tags, was thinking I would be a fool to ever buy a newer car that is so cheaply made with inferior materials for $30k, $40k, $50k.

One other advantage to having older cars is the risk of car theft/car jacking goes down virtually to 0.
So for example, if you bought a brand new Ford F150 or Honda Accord, you and your car will really be a target.
But if you have a 16 year old one, doubt if any thieves will have any interest. Also, you can get the cheap insurance and not worry.

The used car market has plenty of lemons and oil burners. Once you find a good used car, it's a good idea to keep it for the long term and not sell it (in my opinion). The other thing I've noticed is that in the last few years, new car dealers service and parts departments have gotten incredibly greedy. While on a vacation in Florida, I had to stop at a Honda dealer and their labor rate was $199 an hour.
I had a cv axel gasket leak, which is a $7 part and about an hour labor to replace. They charged me $500+tax.
Their book (which they wrote) specified it was a 2.5 hour job, but my local mechanic when I got home from the vacation said he could have done that job in less than an hour and probably would have charged me $80 labor instead of $500.

Last edited:
For some reason the Toyota Corolla/Camry's and the Honda Civic/Honda Accord are really expensive as used cars.
But the Toyota and Honda minivans are really cheap, and have the 8th seat, and full luxury for a much cheaper price than the smaller 4 door sedans.

By affording a 50k vehicle, many of us could qualify for a loan or pay all cash, but most of us shouldn't as it would be a catastrophic long term financial decision. Also, the reliability of cars seems to have gone down from what I'm seeing. The fuel dilution seems to be a very scary issue, as it thins already thin oil to a point where it may not sufficiently protect an engine.

Also, when visiting a Honda Dealership recently for a sliding door repair, while waiting for the repair to be done, I went into the new car area and sat in some new cars. I really didn't like the styling. Glove boxes and storage compartments under radio were too small. Seats were not comfortable. Driving view was awkward. Visors left huge gaps where the sun would be in your eyes. Leather was not soft and silky smooth like my older Honda Odysseys, but instead was rough and cheap feeling. The backs of the leather seats weren't leather but some cheap fabric. Carpeting seemed thinner. Cars seemed cheaper made, with cheaper dashboards plastics which from what I've read tend to rattle in an annoying fashion while driving. And with very high price tags, was thinking I would be a fool to ever buy a newer car that is so cheaply made with inferior materials for $30k, $40k, $50k.

One other advantage to having older cars is the risk of car theft/car jacking goes down virtually to 0.
So for example, if you bought a brand new Ford F150 or Honda Accord, you and your car will really be a target.
But if you have a 16 year old one, doubt if any thieves will have any interest. Also, you can get the cheap insurance and not worry.

The used car market has plenty of lemons and oil burners. Once you find a good used car, it's a good idea to keep it for the long term and not sell it (in my opinion).
Your post is full of misinformation. But I just will start here-
There were 50,427 reports of stolen Honda Accords in 2016. The most stolen model year was 1997, accounting for 7,527 of the thefts.

So you can drive an old Honda-and it can be the most stolen. You guys who drive beaters-can justify all you want. Some of us don't want to drive a near piece of garbage.

He must be factoring in the real inflation rate over the last few years the rest of the world is gaslighting us about.

I agree with you - thats insane. I don't need to drive around in $50K of my money. My last 3 cars were purchased new all well under $30K.

There are still many cars worth buying for around $30K, that will likely last a couple decades if taken car of, so long as your not trying to impress anyone.
+1 on this. My new subaru crosstrek is pretty cool but it is a base model with a stick shift. Got her for 27k with a 100,000 mile warranty

Your post is full of misinformation. But I just will start here-
There were 50,427 reports of stolen Honda Accords in 2016. The most stolen model year was 1997, accounting for 7,527 of the thefts.

So you can drive an old Honda-and it can be the most stolen. You guys who drive beaters-can justify all you want. Some of us don't want to drive a near piece of garbage.
Good point about the 1997 Honda Accords. That year didn't have the computer chip in the key to prevent theft if someone tries to start the car without the key. I used to own a 1997 Honda Accord EX. It was the best handling car I ever drove. Could really hug the corners at high speeds.

I keep my "beaters" in mind condition with perfect appearance and meticulous maintanance.
They look and drive like new cars to anyone not familiar with the generations of the vehicles LOL.
Plus, I never have to have any car loans or have the expensive theft/collision insurance.

Last edited:
I can easily find TWO brand new 2023s for less than $44K. Those BMW, Porsches, and fancy pickups must really drive up the average!

$21K - https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/elantra - I drive a 2018 Elantra and would definitely consider another!

$22.5K - https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/mazda3-sedan - has some great reviews.
They might be the low trim levels though. Personally I need the luxury of soft leather seats, sun roof, heated seats, Navigation screen, DVD screen for the middle and rear row passengers, highest safety ratings from IIHS, outside temperature on the dashboard, etc.

it makes one wonder, what will happen when a storm rises and knocks at someone's door!!?

I've bought 2 new cars in my life. One was $20,000, the other $30,000. About 20 years ago +/-.

What is really insane is the runaway spending, devaluation of the dollar, and ultimately inflating our way into poverty. Nobody is safe. If you think you have a massive amount of savings, I don't know what to tell you. At this rate, $5 million saved will be $3 million by 2030. By 2040, you're down to probably 1/2 million dollars in value - if the US dollar survives.

Given that everything costs roughly 2-5 times what it cost 20 years ago, I am not surprised car values followed suit. But we Americans - especially the leaders spending money like drunken Sailors on shore leave - really truly need to reprioritize. We are on an unsustainable path here folks.

2 out of 3 Americans are living in near poverty, hand-to-mouth, struggling to survive. I have no idea who can afford a new car, and for those that can, how that is remotely a priority right now given the national and global turmoil we face.

Buy what you need vs. What you want. Base models have power everything but for some reason people option up thousands of dollars to get a decked out KIA...
I have bought bottom trim-line and cheap end of the spectrum vehicles forever. Just once I'd like to buy something that I really would get a blast from... Oh well, idle thoughts... I probably never will 'cuz I'm too cheap.

I priced-out a 2023 Porsche 911T just for kicks, the other day. A zero options one with 6MT. Not that a dealer would ever agree to order one like that for you... $161,000 Cdn, taxes-in. No, though for sure it'd have it's good qualities, no way it'd give me $161k worth of joy...

Sometimes I feel like well, either I really get what I want, or rather, I get the total opposite end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back