AutoRX, then and now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
i also like to spray kroil down the pcv hose and let it sit over night every once in a while. dont know if it cleans it but i hope it does because replacing the pcv on my 5.4 is just not an option

Originally Posted By: electrolover
one thing i can tll ou for sure is the oil doesnt get dark anymore and it used to get pretty dark by the end of an oci.
take that for what it is. not a real experiment with before and after photos but it seems to me PP did some cleaning
I've noticed that with Pennzoil is my newest vehicle, the 88 Dodge Aries - the oil is so "clear" it's very hard to even see where the oil is on the dipstick sometimes! lol.

Whereas, my previous vehicles, 07 Kia Rio, and 08 Kia Optima, after say 1000 miles, the oil was very dirty....errr, I mean dark
smile.gif

Granted, this was all before the whole SN phase....I think at the time I was likely using "SM" dealer/TLE bulk oil....I dont know if the PYB formula has changed "that" much since then.......? Or if perhaps my newer find (the low-mile, 88 Dodge Aries) is just "cleaner" thus, the near "translucent" motor oil on the dipstick?

Gotta say though, the oil came out of the filter really black last OCI
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Originally Posted By: electrolover
one thing i can tll ou for sure is the oil doesnt get dark anymore and it used to get pretty dark by the end of an oci.
take that for what it is. not a real experiment with before and after photos but it seems to me PP did some cleaning
I've noticed that with Pennzoil is my newest vehicle, the 88 Dodge Aries - the oil is so "clear" it's very hard to even see where the oil is on the dipstick sometimes! lol.

Whereas, my previous vehicles, 07 Kia Rio, and 08 Kia Optima, after say 1000 miles, the oil was very dirty....errr, I mean dark
smile.gif

Granted, this was all before the whole SN phase....I think at the time I was likely using "SM" dealer/TLE bulk oil....I dont know if the PYB formula has changed "that" much since then.......? Or if perhaps my newer find (the low-mile, 88 Dodge Aries) is just "cleaner" thus, the near "translucent" motor oil on the dipstick?

Gotta say though, the oil came out of the filter really black last OCI
smile.gif

ya know the first fill of PP got dark pretty quick but it seemed to get less and less after that. now even with formula shell dino it stays gold up to 3k. i dont think its hype at all, the oil really does seem to do alot of cleaning. you might get similar results with another syn but that doesnt take anything away from PP

I tried AutoRx a little over 3 years ago (not long after finding this site). I had really fantastic results. My 1998 Lincoln Navigator had about 130k miles on it. I purchased it new and changed the oil every 3k - 5k miles. I always took it to Lincoln dealer. They always used their regular 5W30 oil.

I really didn't pay any attention to my oil - never checked its level since usually the oil change interval was closer to 3k and I have never had a vehicle that oil consumption issues. However, one day when I was adding windshield wiper fluid, I checked the oil and nothing registered on the dip stick. I was down about 1.5 quarts and had about 2000 miles on the vehicle since its last oil change. I thought that when the last oil change was performed the dealer did not do anything and gave the car back to me... I immediately had the oil changed. Not long after that I had some performance issues (I don't recall what exactly, I think a fuel injector was replaced) and the mechanic said I had engine blow-by and there was a substantial amount of oil in the PCV valve. I confirmed this with another mechanic at an independent shop.

I noticed that the engine was consuming about 3/4 quart every 1000 miles. Not good, but adding oil was an inexpensive solution. I started looking for a new vehicle, but also read a bit about oil (high mileage oils, etc.) I came across this site and came across posts regarding AutoRx.

I tried it - following the directions precisely. 2500 mile cleaning phase - 2500 mile rinse phase - repeat a second time. I used the default cheap group 2 oil (5W30 from an independent garage) used for an oil change.

I started monitoring my oil consumption very carefully. Oil consumption went down steadily and drastically. During the second rinse phase I had NO oil consumption and the blow-by problem was also eliminated. I still have the vehicle. I have not used AutoRx in it since. I now have 199K on it and am starting to see a small amount of oil consumption - perhaps 1/4 quart over 3000 miles. I couldn't remember the name of the product I used but I did remember Bob is the Oil guy... So I came here and found this thread.

I thought I would take the time to post this since I had such positive results. I am planning on ordering AutoRx again because my Navigator is not worth selling - I'll drive it until it dies or gets rusty. Right now it looks nice and operates great. I don't drive it too often - mostly in the winter (I live in Wisconsin) and towing ATVs.

I am not affiliated with AutoRx, not paid by them or any affiliated organization. I do medical research for a living. I was very happy with the results I obtained. Also, I forgot to mention that my gas mileage came back to where it was when the vehicle was newer. I was getting about 9 miles to the gallon just before adding AutoRx. By the time I was done with the second rinse phase, I was getting an average of about 12.7 miles per gallon.

In my Toyota, whenever I add Auto-RX, I can feel better power from the engine and in certain case quieten the engine a bit. However, I am still figuring out to confirm whether the Auto-RX helps with some deposit on the valvetrain.
My engine is definitely quieter after engine flush, but still have some ticking that seems quiet down after ARX.. but let see another 5k to confirm

Quote:
On the side of truth, in your cases, were the engines clean to begin with possibly?

No all these engines had visible deposits. If it looks clean down the oil fill hole has no oil consumption, ticking or other issues i put nothing in an engine except a quality oil.

The engines i deal with come from all walks of life, neglected, wrong oil used, used cars with unknown history etc.
My current problem engine is a 08 Saturn Vue 3.5 GM, 44K dealer serviced using OLM, the engine shows a fair amount of varnish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back