RIP Kreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently tried to order a quart of Kreen and it seems Kano Labs had been bought by investors and they seem to now only sell to distributors and cannot point me to a distributor who actually orders Kreen from them.

I even called several of the local distributors (all of those who sell to the public) to inquire about the possibility of ordering Kreen through them and no results. One place seemed like they might be willing to and promised to get back to me. that was over a month ago and I've heard nothing.

Bummer.

Anyone know how to get a hold of a can of Kreen these days?

See attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-143116_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-143116_Gallery.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot_20210614-143156_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-143156_Gallery.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 162
Thanks, TheLawnRanger, I did check them out and with tax and shipping it's well over $50 for 1qt. If I'm gonna do that, Kano will sell me a gallon for about double that, but I'm trying not to spend an arm and a leg when I only really need 8oz of the stuff.

At that pricing, though, I can just replace the lifters. It's not like I don't spend 40+ hours every week in a shop these days.

Ugh...

I did write them to inquire directly as to whether they could put me in contact with a distributor who could sell me Kreen directly. Their reply was that all of their distributors should be able to order it for me, even if they don't stock it normally. Clearly, as I've already gone down that road and come up dry, that is not the case.

"All of our products are available through our distributors. They may not stock it as it is not one of our most popular products, but they can certainly place an order for it and get it for you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance."

Their web page gives a phone number to call to place the order. Is that where they told you that they wouldn't sell to a private individual? It states no shipment to California but otherwise it appears the way to place the order.

Yes, I called them directly. They literally said "we do not sell to individuals" immediately followed with a $100 minimum order policy (and quoting me a price just over $110 for a gallon of Kreen), implying that they do, in fact, sell to individuals. However, for that price plus shipping, I can replace the noisy lifter and have a certain fix.

For $35 or so, Kreen is worth it to try as a "maybe" fix and to have 24oz left over after treatment, for future use. For $110 plus shipping... I don't need an extra 120oz of Kreen, it's just not economically viable.

That said, I did reply to their email to let them know I've already contacted all of my local distributors with no result. Their reply was "As this is a brand new partnership a lot of the distributors may not be aware that they can contact us to buy the product on your behalf. I would try reaching out again and explaining that you spoke with us and all they need to do is contact us to purchase it and sell directly to you. They may only be aware of our flagship products Kroil/Aerokroil/Silikroil."

It has been my experience that most retail outlets will not do this. Despite that, as I had called Kano Labs first and was already primed with that bit of information, this is precisely what I did when I was calling around trying to get it from a distributor. The one distributor who said they'd have no issue with ordering it for me and promised to call back with pricing never did so.

Kano Labs, if you're reading this, the $100 minimum order kills your company for anyone seeking small quantities of products not carried by your distributors. I get it that you're trying to only service distributors and have the distributors service end users, and I agree that this makes sense. To that end, so as not to damage the market viability of your less popular products, such as Kreen, perhaps make it a requirement that distributors stock your entire product line? You might get a better idea of what actually sells through this new model if consumers are able to pick from the entire catalog, and not just what a handful of merchandisers and floorplan designers think will turn the most profit.

And before anyone suggests that I email that to them directly: The first two responses I got from them seem like canned replies. I don't think it would be productive to interact with their email team any further than I already have.

That really stinks. I'm almost out of my last stash that lasted me a few years. I used to order them 4 quarts at a time and shipping was reasonable. This is a terrible business move.

As a huge Kroil fan, I have to say this is, hmm, let me try to find something non-profane, - "Less than ideal."

Bummer.

As a huge Kroil fan, I have to say this is, hmm, let me try to find something non-profane, - "Less than ideal."

Bummer.
Yeah, I've bought Kroil from them directly a few times. I use my business address and they didn't have a problem back then sending it me directly. They had their buy one get one free offer at the time so it was cheaper than whatever it was on Amazon at the time. I'll have to keep a close eye on my last can and make sure it doesn't disappear like my last one.

Yeah, I've bought Kroil from them directly a few times. I use my business address and they didn't have a problem back then sending it me directly. They had their buy one get one free offer at the time so it was cheaper than whatever it was on Amazon at the time. I'll have to keep a close eye on my last can and make sure it doesn't disappear like my last one.

Ditto here.

And this stuff works. Here's how I know:

c: 2002/3, I rebuilt a Harley Dyna from 1994. I took the exhaust supports off each side, each side had three bolts locked in from heat/years/road salt. I coated each support bolt from front to back with a) PB Blaster, b) Liquid Wrench, c) Kroil. Reversed direction on the other bracket. I was in a science program doctoral degree at the time; I was anal about "methodology" and stuff like that. ;)

I left them overnight and then used a torque wrench to break them free the next day. Of the two samples, (left and right supports) each yielded almost identical results:

a) PB Blaster, 80 ft/lbs to break.
b) Liquid Wrench, 60 ft/lbs to break.
c) Kroil, 30 ft/lbs to break.

Done. I've used nothing else for a penetrant oil since, and never been dissatisfied.

Love me some Kroil.

Ditto here.

And this stuff works. Here's how I know:

c: 2002/3, I rebuilt a Harley Dyna from 1994. I took the exhaust supports off each side, each side had three bolts locked in from heat/years/road salt. I coated each support bolt from front to back with a) PB Blaster, b) Liquid Wrench, c) Kroil. Reversed direction on the other bracket. I was in a science program doctoral degree at the time; I was anal about "methodology" and stuff like that. ;)

I left them overnight and then used a torque wrench to break them free the next day. Of the two samples, (left and right supports) each yielded almost identical results:

a) PB Blaster, 80 ft/lbs to break.
b) Liquid Wrench, 60 ft/lbs to break.
c) Kroil, 30 ft/lbs to break.

Done. I've used nothing else for a penetrant oil since, and never been dissatisfied.

Love me some Kroil.
Yup, Kroil is the $#!+ for sure. Fortunately, that's still available from any number of distributors, including Amazon.

I just hope these new investors don't ruin the company. It seems they're on the way to doing that.

Yup, Kroil is the $#!+ for sure. Fortunately, that's still available from any number of distributors, including Amazon.

I just hope these new investors don't ruin the company. It seems they're on the way to doing that.
I got two cans of 13 oz AeroKroil for about $20 about 2 years ago, now a single can is about $25 on Amazon. Typical of new investors, drive up the prices and then eventually when people start buying something else, they're scratching their heads wondering how they went out of business. I save the Kroil as it is for the hard stuff, liquid wrench is only about $4 at Walmart for 11 oz.

I got two cans of 13 oz AeroKroil for about $20 about 2 years ago, now a single can is about $25 on Amazon. Typical of new investors, drive up the prices and then eventually when people start buying something else, they're scratching their heads wondering how they went out of business. I save the Kroil as it is for the hard stuff, liquid wrench is only about $4 at Walmart for 11 oz.
And that's the thing... technically they're not raising prices. The price they quoted me over the phone for a quart of Kreen is the price I paid when I bought it 3 years ago, they just won't sell to *me* for that price unless I buy 3 quarts to bring it up over $100, at which point a gallon is cheaper by a couple bucks. Effectively, they no longer sell to the end user, and distributors have to add their markup to make it worth their while.

So their prices are the same, but the end user pays more. They get to bury their collective heads in the sand and wonder why sales are dropping through the floor.

It wouldn't be so bad paying $45 for a quart of Kreen off the shelf, given that it was $35 + $10 shipping when I bought it anyway, but nearly $55 because the only place I can get it wants to charge excess sales tax (nearly double what it should be) and $20 for shipping? Despite the fact that they're selling it at less than $30 for a quart, it somehw ends up costing me $10 more than it used to.

Hopefully they return to a direct sales model before they go under. Their products are just too good to see them disappear from the market, but businesses will move on to something cheaper before they'll pay yet another middle man for something they've been getting direct for less.

More info on the company that now owns Kano Labs: https://www.lubesngreases.com/lubereport-americas/equity-firm-acquires-kano-labs/

“Our investment in Kano is a continuation of Gryphon’s successful proactive sector initiatives in both enthusiast brands and specialty chemicals, and also leverages insights gained from current portfolio company Mechanix Wear and former portfolio company K&N Engineering,” Keith Stimson, deal partner and head of the Heritage Fund Team at Gryphon, said in a news release.

Considering that Mechanix and K&N both still sell direct, I'd say their claim of leveraging insights gained from those companies is purest bull$#!+. Kano used to sell direct and, now, does not. This flies firmly in the face of any insight which could have been gained from Mechanix of K&N, both of which sell direct and through distributors.

Gryphon, wake up before you destroy this valuable and important brand.

Double darn and other swear words.
My brother married a girl from Nashville. He's gone to their counter for me.
Kano products with no shipping......but now it's over (from "Cabaret")

Perhaps, one of our BITOG family who has a business can set up an account and become a distributor for us? Just a thought. Or we could all move on and find other products. IDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back