AutoRX, then and now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
Something as strong as Kreen seems to break up anything/everything, which is why you shouldnt drive with it, but it will work regardless.

Who said you shouldn't drive with it? Not Kano Labs,they say just the opposite.
The accumulated miles on all the cars i have put this in (including my own) is in the tens of thousands now without any issues whatsoever.

Ah, I wasn't directly quoting, just paraphrasing my observations.

I'd like to try some Kano products, but it didn't accept my debit card?? Guess my Visa's not good enough, lol

What would you say, once I'm done with AutoRX, that I use Kreen in some cheapo dino oil for the "rinse" phase of autorx? I think that'd clean up quite a good bit of stuff, but I don't want to over do the additives in my engine either.

i dont know if i would use kreen in a rinse cycle. some have said mmo is good in a rinse cycle but im not sure of that either. if all else fails follow the directions and the try a new additive next time

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

What would you say, once I'm done with AutoRX, that I use Kreen in some cheapo dino oil for the "rinse" phase of autorx? I think that'd clean up quite a good bit of stuff, but I don't want to over do the additives in my engine either.

Since you mentioned getting Kreen is difficult with a Debit Card, I'd save the Kreen for the next cleaning project. I would add MMO for the rinse phase, people have mentioned more than once having better results using it in the rinse. MMO is cheap too. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Dumc87

Since you mentioned getting Kreen is difficult with a Debit Card, I'd save the Kreen for the next cleaning project. I would add MMO for the rinse phase, people have mentioned more than once having better results using it in the rinse. MMO is cheap too. JMO

Yeah I actually have half a bottle of MMO just hangin out with no purpose as of now, lol. So looks like I'll run the 3k with AutoRX, then just a regular cheapo oil change (Still think a high mileage blend would be good) and then go from there... better not get too far ahead of myself!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Has anyone tried running PP for a few oil changes to see if things get cleaned up?

Yes, and it seems to clean rather well.

"Then and now" for Auto-RX is an interesting title.
I've used it over the past few years very successfully in some cases and others with no noticeable difference. Prevention may have been a benefit there, but can't really tell. I don't know if the formula has changed at all, but the directions and duration of use certainly have changed. I'm thinking experience has improved their suggested directions for use.

Seems the resisitance to the product lies with those who want a fast noticeable change in oil color. Other products are certainly better at that, but the improved performance is there, although subtle. Compression from a cleaned ring pack is the most noticeable benefit that I enjoyed.
The over zealous posting from "disappearing" members is a turn-off. I was sad to read that. We certainly don't need that here.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Has anyone tried running PP for a few oil changes to see if things get cleaned up?

I've used it over the past few years very successfully in some cases and others with no noticeable difference. Prevention may have been a benefit there, but can't really tell. I don't know if the formula has changed at all, but the directions and duration of use certainly have changed. I'm thinking experience has improved their suggested directions for use.

Seems the resisitance to the product lies with those who want a fast noticeable change in oil color. Other products are certainly better at that, but the improved performance is there, although subtle. Compression from a cleaned ring pack is the most noticeable benefit that I enjoyed.
The over zealous posting from "disappearing" members is a turn-off. I was sad to read that. We certainly don't need that here.

Do you have any pictures of said cleaning? (with PP)

I ask because I hear a LOT of people say this. But have yet to see any pictures proving so.

When I got the results I did with Redline, the first thing I did was post pictures on this board. If PP was giving similar results, I would expect people to be postings pics of it left, right and centre.

Quote:
Seems the resisitance to the product lies with those who want a fast noticeable change in oil color.

Not at all. I do have resistance to a product that didn't work over many months and many thousands of miles in any vehicle i tried it in though.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I ask because I hear a LOT of people say this. But have yet to see any pictures proving so.

When I got the results I did with Redline, the first thing I did was post pictures on this board. If PP was giving similar results, I would expect people to be postings pics of it left, right and centre.

i posted some pics of my wifes fill hole after PP. it was very clean!! of coarse i dont know what it looked like before because i never looked. i doubt it was a sludge fest because i have records since it was new and it always had PYB or QSAD changed at 3k intervals. one thing i can tll ou for sure is the oil doesnt get dark anymore and it used to get pretty dark by the end of an oci.
take that for what it is. not a real experiment with before and after photos but it seems to me PP did some cleaning

Autorx was the "in" years ago since the owner paid posters to post on it. The owner was rude etc if you did not like it or did not work. He would blame you for the error...Heck, a few years ago you would be banned on this site if you did not like it! I tried it and did not stop seal leaks in several car engines or other engines....or clean the valve cover deposits.

Some users still like it (from years ago and dealers of it) but I would not buy it again.

I think their last effert was "extending" oil drain to 6,000 miles; problem is most OEM are higher then that now..

Heck MMO will do the samething, Lc20 etc.

Vikas from what Kano told me Kreen is just a derivative of Kroil so i has been around in one form or another for a very long time.

This is true. I just compared MSDS (easy to find by googling) and Kreen is basically same thing as Kroil but with more alcohol and addition of acetone.

Edit: maybe they added acetone after seeing this study? http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showpost.php?p=580422&postcount=10

Last edited:
I did Auto RX only once in my Subaru at 60,000 miles of dino oil changes every ~6000-7000 miles (that was when I discovered BITOG and got the oil bug). The opened filter showed surprisingly little small carbon particles. Either the engine was super clean or AutoRx did little. Way too pricy for it's effects.

BTW, guess what oil I used after the autoRx cleaning? Yes, green GC. The car was totaled a couple of months after that and I got no benefits from all the $$ AutoRx and $$ GC, LOL.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Vikas from what Kano told me Kreen is just a derivative of Kroil so i has been around in one form or another for a very long time.

This is true. I just compared MSDS (easy to find by googling) and Kreen is basically same thing as Kroil but with more alcohol and addition of acetone.

Edit: maybe they added acetone after seeing this study? http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showpost.php?p=580422&postcount=10

i believe it, i have been using kroil for piston soaks and getting pretty good results

No, no pictures of dirty oil. sorry.
I should have cut the filter and checked but didn't.

Quote:
Seems the resisitance to the product lies with those who want a fast noticeable change in oil color.

Not at all. I do have resistance to a product that didn't work over many months and many thousands of miles in any vehicle i tried it in though.

Yeah, I've got that same resistance, but it did work for me in some cases. On the side of truth, in your cases, were the engines clean to begin with possibly? I think that was the situation once or twice in my endeavors.

Originally Posted By: electrolover

i believe it, i have been using kroil for piston soaks and getting pretty good results

Could you please elaborate. Why did you do it, did it work? etc.

I'm considering doing kreen/kroil piston soak too.

No, no pictures of dirty oil. sorry.
I should have cut the filter and checked but didn't.

I'm not so much interested in pictures of dirty oil.... I've found tons of carbon in my filters when I started running M1 in the Expedition when we bought it.

However, over the course of 60,000Km, nothing touched the visible varnish on the cams. Not bad, but you could see it. 1,000Km on Redline, and there was a noticeable reduction in varnish. I took before and after pictures.

That's the sort of "proof" I'm looking for.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: electrolover

Could you please elaborate. Why did you do it, did it work? etc.

I'm considering doing kreen/kroil piston soak too.

it was a lawn mower that had seen better days to say the least. i pulled the plugs, with the engine hot, and sprayed alot of kroil into the hole. let it sit an hour before i turned it over and after it was done smoking it ran quite a bit smoother at idle.
carbon build up is really bad on flat heads like a B&S, especially on older units. so i figured it was worth a shot because i dang sure wasnt going to pull the head just to scrape out carbon.

i also spray it right down the carb with the engine running to clean off the valves. smokes like crazy!! i have not pulled any valves yet but i hope it helps
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back