Automotive vs Motorcycle filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several automobile filters will fit on my motorcycles.

Any reason why I shouldn't try it.

The OEM filter (Toyo Roki) seems to be good quality but I have to order it from a Honda dealer. I can buy a Mobil 1 for a Mazda V-6 that will fit at the local auto part store.

Advise would be appreciated.

Jon

The bypass valve is probably calibrated different. It may or may not have an antidrainback valve in it and you may or may not need an anti drainback valve. I would not experiment with your bike.

These are the filters I use. I order a few at a time.

http://www.perf-form.com/

I'll agree with what VaderSS said and add that not all OEM Honda filters are made by Toyo Roki anymore.

If the blue OEM Honda filter is made in Canada, it is a Fram!
shocked.gif

VaderSS, thanks for the link.

I didn't know about the questionable quality of the Canadian made Honda filters until recently. I've been using them in my high mileage CRX.
frown.gif

Chris,

I have Honda cars and motorcycles. The car filters are blue, the bike filters are black. At least mine are.

Look at the filter can to see where it was made.

Toyo Roki is made in Japan is appears to be of high quality.

The Honda filter made in Canada is pretty lame. I hope it is 'good enough' since that is what I have been using until I recovered from a state of ignorance.

Jon

A bit off topic but in 1979 Honda's company who made oil filters had a bad production run of some oil filters so they recalled all the filters and some motors were rebuilt over the deal,,Honda did not give anyone much flack over it either. Also Honda had developed a line of oils that were great at the time I believe 1982 or so,Yamaha bought the rights to forumlate it themselves if memory serves me correctly. I do not know about now but the late 60's through the 70's and 80's were the hey day for R and D at Honda. Some pretty cool stuff was going on

Interesting, my motorcycle, a 86 Yamaha Fazer, with a 20 Valve 10k redline 4 cylinder calls for "Yamalube" 20W40. I run the stock 15W40 or 20W50s in it, but your statement puts their oil in a different light.

[ July 02, 2002, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

Vader,
The old FJ's exhaust cam lobe center comes in at 118 when checking with a degree wheel. That my friend produces some kind of heat in that area! the intake comes in at 112 on most I have checked in the past. If you ever have the oppurtunity have the cam gears slotted and degree the cams to 108 intake and 110 exhaust and the oil temp will decrease dramatically then all you have to do is step the main jet size down because of increasing the volumeric efficiency of the motor.
If say you are running 20/50 Castrol GTX and you change to the Yamalube,you will probably notice a immediate difference in that shifting will be smoother. You will also see the oil is still rated SJ which means it has more good stuff in it
smile.gif

It will turn dark quicker as well because of the detergents that are put in it to reduce corrosion while sitting over winter ect.
A M/C oil like this would be great for the guy with a classic car that seldom gets driven imo.

[ July 02, 2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back