Oil Filter Prices - Surprised From Recent Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone.

Monday I bought a Purolator Boss filter for my Durango at a national auto parts chain store. I was stunned by what I thought was the high price of $16.99. After doing some competitive checking online and with other local retailers, I found that the price I paid was comparable. The stock OEM Mopar filter was advertised for $14.29.

I made the purchase, since my need exceeded my lack of desire to purchase a lower quality product, but I came to the conclusion that I guess inflation has hit all consumer items, even our coveted higher quality oil filters.

Thoughts and comments welcome, and please advise me if I am missing or mistaken here.

No you are not wrong, some of the filters I like to get from Amazon have jumped up in price in recent months much to my dismay. Even with the added shipping costs, RockAuto is still a great place to find bargains on oil filters such as the most excellent Champ XL.

Yes filters of all sort are higher. The premium filters are the most affected. Not everything has gone up though.
I bought a Purolator in Motorcraft clothing for $3.97

If you buy things like that from an auto parts store, it will be expensive.

That said, I don't think there is anything magical about any oil filter. Do a little prework and but a few for the shelf so you dont need to pay ransom pricing. You can buy OEM filters in a case of 5 or so for far less than that. Even the Fram or motorcraft are good low cost choices if you're starting to watch your pennies.

Hello Everyone.

Monday I bought a Purolator Boss filter for my Durango at a national auto parts chain store. I was stunned by what I thought was the high price of $16.99. After doing some competitive checking online and with other local retailers, I found that the price I paid was comparable. The stock OEM Mopar filter was advertised for $14.29.

I made the purchase, since my need exceeded my lack of desire to purchase a lower quality product, but I came to the conclusion that I guess inflation has hit all consumer items, even our coveted higher quality oil filters.

Thoughts and comments welcome, and please advise me if I am missing or mistaken here.
Walmart here in Canada sells the fram ultra filters for under $12 for our durangos.

It sounds like the consensus is that I paid a premium price for a premium filter. I guess I can be content with that but I am not sure I will repeat the same behaviour.

Thanks to those who have replied.

I have to make my decision before pricing gets more whacky. I need 5 filters to get me through my lease. I’m undecided choices are wix, purolator or m1 oil filters.

I’m eyeing the wix 51394. 11.99 just sounds steep I have never paid that much for a filter.

I have the Subscribe & Save thing going on with Amazon; just paid $18.65 for 2 Fram Ultra XG9688 filters, which is a huge jump at $9.32 per filter when it was $5.49 just 5 months ago. Not to get political, but this is a disaster considering that is a 70% increase in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back