Automotive Fads From the '80s

I don't know if I like anything from the 80s, it is just too bright in everything they do.
This doesn't do anything for you?
1622578670476.jpg

I miss quite a few things from the 80s and older vehicles; hood ornaments are the first to come to mind.
I still have a hood ornament on my Mercedes. They're about $40 at the dealer, broke one when I wasn't paying attention when brushing the snow off the hood. They're starting to go with a sport look and that gets rid of the hood ornament, just a flat badge on there instead. The luxury models still had the hood ornament, but only for a little while longer.

I actually appreciate the paint jobs from the '80s. Sure, they're not great, but they have character. Seems like most new cars today are either blue, red, or fall somewhere on the grey scale.
Hey, I was excited when i found my red GX. Way less common than the silver, white, and beige ones :ROFLMAO:

Push button radio station memory settings on an analog radio, so when you pressed the button you could watch the needle zoom up and down the dial
And an AM-only radio with that one oval shaped speaker in the middle of the dash:D That might've been mid-late 70s.

‘85 Trans-Am. First car I bought. In 1986, in Corpus Christi, TX. Shown here the day I sold it. Car seats really don’t fit in the back of that car.

The aluminum louvers were an 80s thing, but in the South Texas heat, they actually helped keep the car cool.

Still like the looks of that car, but the 80s were an awful decade.

The long stroke, low RPM 305 small block, fed by an electronic Q-jet, with a modest fuel-economy cam, and choked by a single exhaust and heavy cat, made a whopping 165 HP. The 200R4 wouldn’t stay in 4th if you were above 2/3 throttle, limiting top speed. It also ate the plastic governor gear twice in the first 80,000 miles, sticking the trans in first gear.

6FC60661-26C3-4920-AFFF-07D979D92694.jpeg

‘85 Trans-Am. First car I bought. In 1986, in Corpus Christi, TX. Shown here the day I sold it. Car seats really don’t fit in the back of that car.

The aluminum louvers were an 80s thing, but in the South Texas heat, they actually helped keep the car cool.

The long stroke, low RPM 305 small block, fed by an electronic Q-jet, with a modest fuel-economy cam, and choked by a single exhaust and heavy cat, made a whopping 165 HP. The 200R4 wouldn’t stay in 4th if you were above 2/3 throttle, limiting top speed. It also ate the plastic governor gear twice in the first 80,000 miles, sticking the trans in first gear.

View attachment 59147
Yes not a lot great about the anemic emissions bolted on engines of that era, but that car still had a cool style. The 78 through your year T/A has style and coolness missing today.
Too many silver cars that all look alike.

I couldn't access the "25 features" on my old computer but I'll assume they didn't show the fiberoptic tell-tale lights run from the taillights (or possibly turn signals) to the rear tray beneath the rear windshield.

Fiberoptics were so new GM thought it would be a hep thing to add....for 2 or 3 years on cheeky models.

View attachment 59147
Beautiful car and so much fun to drive!! Compare that to the ***** stuff that's current.

View attachment 59147
Had the same car all black even the factory wheels. I had the tired engine replaced with a crate 305. Engine had a cam replacement and head work. It was pretty strong in the 90's.

Had the same car all black even the factory wheels. I had the tired engine replaced with a crate 305. Engine had a cam replacement and head work. It was pretty strong in the 90's.
I would’ve loved to drop a decent small block in there. A 350 with a decent cam, perhaps even a 383 (400 crank striker version). Not too much cam, or the Q-jet would’ve been unhappy. The Q-jet flowed plenty of air, but was a bear to tune because of the plugs on the mixture screws, and other emissions gear.

The real restriction on that engine was the exhaust. Two log style manifolds into a restrictive car and a single exhaust.

Even if I added a cam to the stock 305, that exhaust had it choked off pretty well. The L69, HO 395, was about 190 HP and it was mostly cam and some slight tuning.

But a good flowing exhaust (Edelbrock made a header system, and there were some better cats available by the early 90s), with a cam and/or bigger engine would’ve transformed that car. It was fun to drive, but awfully slow by today’s standards. My Volvo wagons, even the AWD, would smoke the TA.

I had plans to modify the TA. It had Koni adjustable shocks and struts. Better brakes from the 1LE package were going to be next (factory parts, bigger rotors, rear rotors to replace the drum). Then the engine. Roller rocker arms (the factory was 1.5:1 stamped steel), a warmed up cam, perhaps Edlebrock intake, the header system and cat and exhaust had all been planned out.

But then my daughter was born. Car seats and that car just didn’t work.

I sold it and bought a 1985 Volvo turbo wagon. Manual transmission. It had better brakes, better handling, and a ton more room than the TA. With the 165 hp intercooler turbo, and manual, and lighter weight, it was actually quicker than the TA. A better car in every respect.

Except looks…

Not sure I miss 80's auto fads. Some of the styling was fine. Now the ability to hop up cars, that was probably nice, I might have liked it back then. I like EFI but back then I probably would have shunned it though.

Back