Automatic shut off of new vehicles upon idle?

I absolutely hate it. I wish I could take a hammer and pound the button that I have to use to shut it off (every time I drive)!

A friend of mine said he would never buy a vehicle that automatically shuts off.

Seems to me I have read that it uses more gas to start and stop an engine unless the idle is prolonged.

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks!
My wife's new to us 2022 Highlander (bought w/ only 8,400 miles on it) has a start/stop system that is seamless-you can't feel it. No hammer needed. It IS TRUE that some manufacturers do a better job than others on this "feature".

Another thing I forgot about. Our vehicle is a 2019 Honda Pilot.

I usually get seven years or more out of a car battery. I charge them every month to make sure they stay in good shape even if I drive them often.

This Honda is on it's third battery in four years. The original battery was replaced by the dealer under the warranty and that one I replaced with a Duracell from Sam's that I paid for myself.

As usual, many times the real cost of this kind of "savings" is not figured in. Just with this vehicle brand and model that I drive has the extra cost and extra pollution of the two extra batteries and the cost to repair the vehicle starting system on many of the Pilots. Must be a big problem or Honda would not be extending our warranty.

Also, the cost of designing and building the auto shut off system in the first place.

That's a Honda issue. How many F150s are around with start/stop? Failures on not wide spread. Hondas Pilots sold are a fraction of the F150's volume.

Both our vehicles have it and it's easy to modulate. It will only shut them off if you apply more force than normal on the brake after fully stopped. If you just stop like normal, it won't perform the idle shut off. If we didn't like it, we would just press the button after starting the vehicle. Second nature like @PimTac mentions.

What would all the big pickup and SUV drivers do at the gas station? They leave their trucks running to run in. Never understood that.

This tech would help alleviate that issue, but it really isn’t our, or a car companies business if we want to idle our cars.

Silly.

It's become common nature once I enter and start the van. The first off is the ESS button. Other may claim that they have devices that will auto disable the system. The only other option is to locate the switch under the hood and disable it. This could mean simply detaching it from it's location. But one would be left with a "Open Hood" latch message on the dash.

The worst was on a Diesel BMW X5 that belonged to my Head Office Boss in Germany, the shudder from the passenger seat each time it turned off and on was jarring and felt very un-sophisticated. Most people now - in gasoline ICE - never sense the events.

My only experience with start/stop was an Audi Q5 diesel on a 1200 mile trip through England/Wales/Scotland , It was seamless. Not a problem at all. Don't understand the hate for start/stop.

What would all the big pickup and SUV drivers do at the gas station? They leave their trucks running to run in. Never understood that.

This tech would help alleviate that issue, but it really isn’t our, or a car companies business if we want to idle our cars.

Silly.
Actually no. It only functions when the car is in Drive (not Park). If the engine is auto-stopped and you shift to park, it starts up again at least in my F150. I read on the internet it preloads gas into the cylinders for a quicker restart.

Leaving a vehicle running while one goes into the store is likely a mix of ignorance and arrogance. Unless it's over 100F or under 0F, then it's understandable. Or a bad battery. Or the dog's in the truck. Or the wife's in the truck. Hmmm. Maybe not always ignorance or arrogance...

Not a fan. Now if it was a super long light or traffic jam I could see the use but to come stop at a stop sign and it try to turn off just as you want to go it makes it quite a poor experience.

Toyota hybrid is so different as it’s not using a starter for the restarts.

I bought the harness for our GLI to make it turn off when the vehicle turns on.

Start stop on FCA vehicles is a battery nightmare. It’s daily we are replacing 1 or both batteries in vehicles.

I know the ford argument. Maybe we got a dealer tech on here that could say hey we replace starters all the time or no it’s not an issue.

Every mechanical item has a mean time between failure (MTBF). If you would normally start the vehicle one time per trip as opposed to say 5-10. Then yes there just is no way it won’t last less time.

Silly.
The stop system is bypassed by the shifter being moved to park. At least it is on every vehicle I’ve driven that uses it.

It's not a big deal for me to turn it off on startup, but once the C63 is out of warranty I'm coding it so that stop/start stays off.

Actually no. It only functions when the car is in Drive (not Park). If the engine is auto-stopped and you shift to park, it starts up again at least in my F150. I read on the internet it preloads gas into the cylinders for a quicker restart.

Leaving a vehicle running while one goes into the store is likely a mix of ignorance and arrogance. Unless it's over 100F or under 0F, then it's understandable. Or a bad battery. Or the dog's in the truck. Or the wife's in the truck. Hmmm. Maybe not always ignorance or arrogance...
My 2019 Honda Pilot stays off if you shift from Drive into Park if the engine had stopped. The engine will restart when you shift back into Drive.

Been driving vehicles with start/stop for the last 250k+. I have no issues with the technology and have not experienced any engine wear issues resulting from it.
Or have you? Your gen Prius is known for head gasket failures, I do wonder if the repeated start/stops may have something to do with it. The extra heat cycles may be a factor, that at the very least may have exacerbated a design issue.

Not that I would necessarily worry about it, but we also cannot categorically say it won’t cause anything.

In regular ICE vehicles I find it annoying.

I dont like auto shutoff but I dont obesess about it since it can be disabled on all vehicles I tried so far.
Otherwise the car could not serve as a survival capsule in the summer in the desert or in the winter in the north.

Back