Automatic shut off of new vehicles upon idle?

I absolutely hate it. I wish I could take a hammer and pound the button that I have to use to shut it off (every time I drive)!

A friend of mine said he would never buy a vehicle that automatically shuts off.

Seems to me I have read that it uses more gas to start and stop an engine unless the idle is prolonged.

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks!

I absolutely hate it. I wish I could take a hammer and pound the button that I have to use to shut it off (every time I drive)!

A friend of mine said he would never buy a vehicle that automatically shuts off.

Seems to me I have read that it uses more gas to start and stop an engine unless the idle is prolonged.

Thanks!
It saves on gas. The amount of gas saved of proportional to the amount of cylinders in the engine. If you don't like have it coded out or buy an EV/Hybrid/PHEV etc..

Thanks!

That is true - If the engine would be idling for less than three seconds

I would never buy a car with auto start-stop. I want to know when my engine idling good or bad.
Thats a pretty broad statement.. it also restricts you from about 1/2 the ice vehicles made.

my subaru and 2019 jeep both had it. you simply push the start button.. then push the auto stop/start disable button.

or buy the 100$ dongle that disables it.

Now a vehicle that that doesnt come with a shutoff button for A/S/S
the aftermarket will soon find a solution.
IIRC there is one that plugs into an underseat harness and turns it off perm for example.

Summary:
Its not a big deal. some people dont mind it some hate it..
there are solutions.

I spent a day last week with a real estate broker with a 2022 Mercedes SUV with auto start-stop. Annoying was an understatement, everytime the broker took her foot off the brake the car would start with an annoying faint jerk. So much so that my wife commented. I told my wife unfortunately all new cars come with that "garbage"
27.gif
she laughed and said I'll keep driving what I have. I told her thankfully it can be disabled, because at some point when the new cars selling over sticker insanity quiets down I'll like to buy another new Jeep.

I am NOT a fan of nanny technology that controls what I want. I don't generally like cylinder deactivation, tracking devices like built in GPS, auto start/stop, and a host of other nonsense. I want my vehicles to work well and do what I want them to do, not what the car companies want largely to satisfy CAFE standards and other agendas (which count for credits, but not longevity).

Rented an '19(?) Equinox and a '21(?) Soul in the past year or two - both with stop/start. I thought it was a neat novelty and unobtrusive in the Chevy and an unprotected-left-turn-ruining annoyance in the Soul. Of course, it could just have been differences in driving environment too.

I got by with hitting the disable stop/start button each time and learning how to modulate my brake pedal application but it grinds my gears that I had to put in extra effort and thought that way for optimal left-turn safety.

Reactions: AP9
Another thing I forgot about. Our vehicle is a 2019 Honda Pilot.

I usually get seven years or more out of a car battery. I charge them every month to make sure they stay in good shape even if I drive them often.

This Honda is on it's third battery in four years. The original battery was replaced by the dealer under the warranty and that one I replaced with a Duracell from Sam's that I paid for myself.

As usual, many times the real cost of this kind of "savings" is not figured in. Just with this vehicle brand and model that I drive has the extra cost and extra pollution of the two extra batteries and the cost to repair the vehicle starting system on many of the Pilots. Must be a big problem or Honda would not be extending our warranty.

Also, the cost of designing and building the auto shut off system in the first place.

Thanks!
I don’t know if this works on Hondas, but on the Kia Soul (and probably other H/K), you can disable idle start/stop permanently by jamming the button IN with a piece of card stock or a toothpick. There’s also an aftermarket gadget that will disable it but it’s $100.

Back