Automatic Braking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I was just enjoying my ABS disallowing my brakes to grab going down my icy driveway hill this morning - ran right out into the street at 25mph. Glad no one was walking by.
Wonderful.
Now where's the fuse for this worthless mandated garbage!

Will joan claybrook pay my insurance deductible?

Sounds like someone needs to sand their driveway and slow down before heading out. Blame the guy in your rear view mirror not some safety agency.....

This. Been proven time and time again that if on ice ABS will stop you quicker than locked up brakes. In fact there are no situations where ABS will make you stop longer than non ABS.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

does anyone actually have "automatic braking" and can weigh in?

I have it on my car, I can say it works! I've set it off barreling down on a car that was about to turn. I did have to adjust my driving a bit but that's probably a good thing...

If someone cuts me off on the road and keeps moving forward it won't engage. It also will just mute the radio and sound the alarm at first, but if it really things a collision is imminent it will apply the brakes.

The gov't pushed this stuff with no regard to the added cost passed onto the consumer.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I was just enjoying my ABS disallowing my brakes to grab going down my icy driveway hill this morning - ran right out into the street at 25mph. Glad no one was walking by.
Wonderful.

Sounds like someone needs to sand their driveway and slow down before heading out. Blame the guy in your rear view mirror not some safety agency.....

This. Been proven time and time again that if on ice ABS will stop you quicker than locked up brakes. In fact there are no situations where ABS will make you stop longer than non ABS.

Gravel and loose terrain.

That's why trucks with adaptive setting disable ABS in low-range.

Americans view driving as a chore, not as an enjoyable pastime. Nobody want to use their left leg or left hand to change gear because it's "too difficult" so automatic gearboxes take over the market.

A few years later, "I can't be bothered to use a brake pedal, it should slow down for me" and the autobrake feature floods the market.

Automatic steering is next.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Americans view driving as a chore, not as an enjoyable pastime. Nobody want to use their left leg or left hand to change gear because it's "too difficult" so automatic gearboxes take over the market.

A few years later, "I can't be bothered to use a brake pedal, it should slow down for me" and the autobrake feature floods the market.

Where do you draw the line? back in the day cars weighing well over 4,000 pounds did not have power brakes. You had to really step on those if you wanted to stop the vehicle. Was the move to power brakes to accommodate people that can't be bothered, or was it a great improvement to make driving easier and in all likelihood safer.

Same thing with power steering, heck automatic blinkers are easier to use rather than rolling down the window (ah, power windows- are they only for the lazy who don't like to drive?) and using hand signals?

Wonderful.

Actually, no...on ice, the issue is that some ABS systems simply WILL NOT STOP!

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

Where do you draw the line? back in the day cars weighing well over 4,000 pounds did not have power brakes. You had to really step on those if you wanted to stop the vehicle. Was the move to power brakes to accommodate people that can't be bothered, or was it a great improvement to make driving easier and in all likelihood safer.

Same thing with power steering, heck automatic blinkers are easier to use rather than rolling down the window (ah, power windows- are they only for the lazy who don't like to drive?) and using hand signals?

Having driven many vehicles with manual steering, I honestly do not see the big deal about it. Unless the driver is tiny, feeble, or crippled...what's the problem?

Someday you dont need a driving license and a 10 year old kid sits behind the wheel and just push the button...

I would recommend to take the train if i want to get somewhere without the task to drive a vehicle.

Some of the modern technics are problematic:
Most drivers in Germany really think that Anti lock brakes are made to stop the vehicle in shorter distance, becaus the car makers say so...

So, they cut the safety distance to the car in front and drive to close, because....
Stupid.

I you talk to people WHAT anti lock brakes are really for and doing, if you ask them if they ever hit brakes in emrgency full in a corner on a rainy day or if they just read the vehicle instruction that explains what anti lock brakes are doing, they look at you absolutly puzzled:
confused.gif

So, whats next? Use my Smartphone all the time in the car bcause i have automatic brakes?

Wonderful.

I know of one situation that we have proven at work, but one that very few will ever experience - a vehicle on wet rail. Our hirail vehicles at work usually require twice as long to stop on wet, snowy or icy rail if the ABS fuse is left in. It is a very scary feeling when you come around a curve, even at low speed, and find a tree across the track and the truck won't stop due to the ABS.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Wonderful.

Actually, no...on ice, the issue is that some ABS systems simply WILL NOT STOP!

But they still do a better job of slowing down than non ABS.

On SNOW a locked tire can plow snow in front of itself which aids in stopping.

I used to do e-brake turns in my buick century in the snow. Since it was confused by the 0 mph rear MPH readings, it temporarily disabled ABS for that key cycle, and lit the light. OK by me.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino

On SNOW a locked tire can plow snow in front of itself which aids in stopping.

I used to do e-brake turns in my buick century in the snow. Since it was confused by the 0 mph rear MPH readings, it temporarily disabled ABS for that key cycle, and lit the light. OK by me.
laugh.gif

I pull the ABS relay if driving in snow. Some systems, especially older GM units, are a joke in snow.

Having driven many vehicles with manual steering, I honestly do not see the big deal about it. Unless the driver is tiny, feeble, or crippled...what's the problem?

In a light car it's no big deal, although it can be a pain when stopped. I liked to think though that it was no big deal, but I'm no longer sure I could live without it.

For a while I had an S10 with manual steering and brakes. Call me crazy but I found it wonderful. The only description for the brakes were "linear". I'm sure that, as an S10, they were woeful; but stepping on the brakes it always felt great.

Shame we can't have ~2,000lb cars sans power steering and brakes. I know VSC won't work w/o power assist, so it's gone now.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
The gov't pushed this stuff with no regard to the added cost passed onto the consumer.

I'm pretty sure that cost gets raised and argued about--that's what lobbyists are for.

That said, in the linked article it says $47B (that is billion with a B) is spent yearly as a result of these collisions--half of which was estimated could be eliminated with this technology. $24B divided by 300M... on a yearly basis... would probably pay for it, possibly only when taken in the aggregate.

So all Europeans (and the UK) only drive stick?

Originally Posted By: supton

In a light car it's no big deal, although it can be a pain when stopped. I liked to think though that it was no big deal, but I'm no longer sure I could live without it.

For a while I had an S10 with manual steering and brakes. Call me crazy but I found it wonderful. The only description for the brakes were "linear". I'm sure that, as an S10, they were woeful; but stepping on the brakes it always felt great.

Shame we can't have ~2,000lb cars sans power steering and brakes. I know VSC won't work w/o power assist, so it's gone now.

Light? Not exactly...the largest vehicle I have driven with manual steering was one of these:
1313520978-l-GM_4106_001.jpg

Originally Posted By: supton

So all Europeans (and the UK) only drive stick?

The vast majority do drive manual, yes.
One of the rules around driver licensing is that If you pass your test in an auto, you can only drive an auto but if you pass your test in a manual you can drive either. S it makes sense for learned to learn in manual cars to give them more options for what they can drive in the future.
Quite often, an automatic is an (expensive) optional extra.
Manuals do what we want them to where automatics have shift logic that we need to anticipate, and the automatic doesn't look half a mile down the road to now whats coming, it's an entirely reactive system where a manual is proactive.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Wonderful.

Gravel and loose terrain.

That's why trucks with adaptive setting disable ABS in low-range.

some cars aswell at low speeds (10 mph or under)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back