Auto Tranny Flush vs. Several Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
I now have two vehicles with automatic transmissions, an '08 Chevy K2500HD (Vortec w/HD 6-speed)and a newly acquired '08 Toyota Sienna. I'm looking for inputs on the whole flush vs. multi-change issue. I didn't really give it much thought until buying the Toyota, tried out several of them and several of them had really nasty fluid in them. Upon reading the owners manual I found out why, there is no change interval given all the way out to 10 years and/or 120,000 miles. I take that as no one is thinking about it because Toyota is mentioning anything about it. After a little research I ran into the flush vs. multi-change issue and wondered which is better. It sounds like there is a special machine for the flush, and it didn't sound very DIY to me. What do you folks think about it. Is ii worth paying a shop for the flush, or is there an alternative? I've seen recommendations from every year change/flush out to every third, 15,000 miles to 36,000 miles. What have you heard or recommend? My Chevy truck is 100,000 miles under normal conditions and 50,000 under harsh, is Toyota really anything different? What type of ATF does the 'yota use?
Thanks,
Adam.

Forget the word flush, its misleading.

Think of it as a fluid exchange done in 1 step or 3-4. They both can be done by a DIYer. The one step will use less ATF. That can be important ith you buy high end ATF like Amsoil or Redline.

I use Amsoil because I think its the best. Redline and M1 and others are also good.

Even a flush machine never uses any power to push ATF through the transmission. It merely flows net ATF into the pan at the same rate old ATF is being pushed out (by the transmission's own pump.

If its been over 50K, the filter should be replaced if it has one and that requires dropping the pan.

Lastly, don't let ANYONE tell you a flush of any kind even being done by SUPERMAN will clean the filter. It may clean grease or goo but not particles of crud.

I'd go the several change route. After the first round you could just drain and refill very year or so. Do yourself a favor and buy a fluid extractor. Assuming your vehicles have a dipstick tube, it's fast, easy and tidy to pull fluid out through the tube and you don't have to crawl under the car or worry about sresulting leaks. .

Going for multiple changes and avoiding the flush or exchange is the best way to go.

After several 25k drain and fills my Camry with T-IV comes out clean every time now. No filters, no opening up ever. But you may referring to the newer WS sealed transmission that uses drain and fill bolts underneath. Less fluid but the same idea. Inexpensive drain and fill every 25k/once a year and it should last the life of the car.

I have never had a problem doing a complete cooler line fluid exchange, including on one car with 140,000 miles on the OE fluid...but the D&F is easier from a logistics perspective...just dump it and refill...none of this start engine, graduated container, stop engine, pour in fluid, repeat 6 times stuff...

If there is a dipstick, and Im not aware of the history, I like to just pull a few quarts out that way, and replace, just to get some fresh detergents and dispersants in first. If there is a drain plug, that would work too.

After doing that a few times, Ill drop the pan and drain the TC and do a full fill.

If I dont know the history, Ill do another not that much later.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I have never had a problem doing a complete cooler line fluid exchange, including on one car with 140,000 miles on the OE fluid...but the D&F is easier from a logistics perspective...just dump it and refill...none of this start engine, graduated container, stop engine, pour in fluid, repeat 6 times stuff...

Agreed.

If you don't mind the time and hassle, go for a complete fluid change (flush).
Saves you from mixing potentially expensive new oil with dirty old stuff.
If you want quick and easy, just do a few drain and refills.

Once you do a cooler line fluid exchange you wont go back. Way easy to do and gets all the old fluid out. Your Toyota should use Toyota WS ATF. I do mine every 50k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Agreed.

If you don't mind the time and hassle, go for a complete fluid change (flush).
Saves you from mixing potentially expensive new oil with dirty old stuff.
If you want quick and easy, just do a few drain and refills.

If you do not have a drain plug, I would say a cooling line flush is easier and less messy than even one drain & fill.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Once you do a cooler line fluid exchange you wont go back. Way easy to do and gets all the old fluid out. Your Toyota should use Toyota WS ATF. I do mine every 50k.

True, but you need to make sure they use the correct cleaning fluid in the flush machine, otherwise they don't work as well, so if you can afford it the dealer might do a better job than an Iffy lube.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Sorry that I, the OP, have not been very involved with this conversation. I really would like to do this DIY to save the money and because I'm not very trusting of professional mechanics. I've paid them a lot of money for shoddy work, work that I could have done better myself and for a lot less than they did it for. I find that they just don't seem to take a lot of pride in doing good work, "just another car coming in from the long line of thankless others." I just bought this van, 51K mile Toyota Certified and the fluid looks and smells fresh, so I think that they took care of it before putting it out on the lot. I know for a fact that it has a tranny dipstick, but I have not yet been under the vehicle to see if their is a drain plug. Are some of you replacing the fluid without changing the filter? Not being critical, just wondering, because I'm surely not an expert. Also, do any of you know of an aftermarket ATF that is compatible with the Toyota spec? Aftermarket meaning available at Wally-Mart, Autozone, PepBoys, Advanced Auto, etc? I don't want to pay Toyota the big money for their ATF if I can avoid it. I believe in the boutique synthetics, but I think that that is a little rich for the new used 'yota.
Thanks,
Adam

Does it call for WS or T-IV? If IV it is actually fairly cheap to buy at the dealership. Not sure on WS. I am sure the Amsoil peeps will be chiming in soon :p

The Toyota uses WS. Valvoline Max Life can be used for both the GM and the Toyota.
This Toyota has a drain plug and a serviceable filter, it holds approx 9.5 qts.

I would drain it, remove the pan and change the filter then fill 4-5qts in and do a line off fluid exchange from that point.
Quick and easy.

There are quality ATFs from many companies (Amsoil, etc) that will be fine in yoru vehicle and will meet or exceed the Toyota ATF.

I agree to change the filter in the transmission.

But after that I would install a Magnefine inline filter ($20 and 5 minutes). The Magnefine (media and magnet) will filter better than the internal filter and I would say you can then go long distances before you deal with the internal filter again (100K miles). You can get the Magnefine at NAPA under Magnefine or other names. Its good for 30K miles. I have one on each of my vehicles and have so for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back